any possible future UROLOGISTS HERE?!!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mackaikai

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Geez....I haven't met ONE other pre-med who wants to become an urologist ;)

ANYONE WANT TO BE AN UROLOGIST? YAHHHH UROLOGY!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

anyway, if you are interested in urology, here is a good link: MATCH FOR UROLOGY

Members don't see this ad.

I've met a lot of pre-meds interested in surgery, cardiology, peds, but urology/ that's a new one :)... I'm just curious, what makes you interested in urology at such an early stage?

I actually think urology is pretty cool. I remember studying the kidney and urine formation in physiology, very cool. I think the countercurrent multiplier system is ingenious.

Members don't see this ad :)
SachinG said:
I've met a lot of pre-meds interested in surgery, cardiology, peds, but urology/ that's a new one :)... I'm just curious, what makes you interested in urology at such an early stage?

MONEY!!! :laugh:

I opened this thread expecting to read about some burning sensation the OP experiences when he or she urinates.

indo said:
I opened this thread expecting to read about some burning sensation the OP experiences when he or she urinates.

lolz..now i look back..yah i sound like i need help :D lolz

I'm also considering urology for several reasons. I presently am a PA in Orthopedics, and have been checking different fields. Urology presents a good balance of Clinic and Surgery, while allowing for very light Call. I have been in a field where On-Call sucks, and I want a better lifestyle when I get out. This field also has a great need now and in the future, since there are so few residency spots for the job openings out there. I have a friend in 4th year Urology at UIowa, and he started having groups fly him around the country to look at there clinic when he was in his 2nd of 5 years. They need new graduates bad.
Just some ideas.

There are thee surgical subspecialties that come to mind that are fairly tame when it comes to workload and still pay very well--Urology, ENT, and Ophthomology. It's no surprise that these are extremely competitive. Good luck with Urology, hope you rock the boards!

TLcoolJack said:
I'm also considering urology for several reasons. I presently am a PA in Orthopedics, and have been checking different fields. Urology presents a good balance of Clinic and Surgery, while allowing for very light Call. I have been in a field where On-Call sucks, and I want a better lifestyle when I get out.
This is the reason the 2 urologists I know chose that field - good opportunities for procedures without having to go the surgical route. Plus, it is definitely a very lucrative field.

when I was interviewing at a school, the student interviewer told me that she was going into urology (had been matched etc.). I took her aside and asked her why urology. I am not kidding she told me that her fiancee was going into gynaecology because he likes handling vagina and breasts and since she liked handling penises and scrotums she was going into urology. I thought it was initially circumspect but she said it matter of factly. She told me her favorite rotation involved vasectomies and prostate checks. Naturally it made me queeze, but I guess to each her own.

I think it is a great field to go into! With all the Baby Boomers entering their 50s and 60s there will be an incredible demand for Urologists. Almost every elderly person will need to see a Urologist at some point. And you get to be a Surgeon as well as act in a role similar to a primary care physician.

just want to let all you future urologist know that urology isn't all that easy. My father is a urologist and when I was a kid he was never home. And this was way after his residencies were finished. I remember him walking in at 3 or 4 in the morning and then having to leave again at 7 when I was getting ready to go to school. Since it is a surgical field, the doctors must balance surgery and office hours, creating long working hours. So if you plan on having a family or spending any time with them, you should definitely think about it again.

Just a thought.

The only things getting a staff urologist out of bed late at night on call are the 3 T's:

i) Torsion
ii) Trauma
iii) Transplant

I did the specialty aptitude test that was mentioned elsewhere (link below)and Urology came up pretty high. I even tried changing up my responses some and it still came up high. Wonder why I have aptitude for this? No jokes, I am curious. My guess is the desire to have some clinical and some surgical without super long hours, but is it really a good field for a woman?

Also has anyone seen the book these guys published? Obviously I have some time to think about this but am wondering if there is any real support for their rankings or if it's just a generic personality test. Seems like lots of the questions they ask would be true of most interested in practicing medicine.

http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

You know, OB/GYN also has that special mix of medicine and surgery. AND, with no men going into it of late (and no evidence to suggest that women are choosing other fields LESS to go into OB/GYN) OB/GYN is going to see a shortage. I am interested in urology, but I think ob/gyn will be equally satisfying (more call, which kinda sucks, but who knows - maybe I'll like it - Dr. Huxtable was always home :D ). Despite all the hoopla over insurance premiums, OB/GYN's still do about $240k a year.

The urology establishment has done a tremendous job of keeping the number of slots artificially low in order to keep salaries up. You have to hand it to them - they have thier **** together.

Judd

SachinG said:

He loves the ....nevermind :D

littledoc2be said:
So if you plan on having a family or spending any time with them, you should definitely think about it again.

My question for you or your father is why if this is true, Urology is one the most competitive residencies to get in medicine? I was led to believe by others that it was for the reasons I posted previously.

About OB/GYN, I agree it's an interesting surgical subspecialty. Just get used to getting sued and paying a ton of your income to malpractice insurance. I guess you can still have a career and make money in OB/GYN, but it's getting more and more restrictive all the time...

Cool stuff:
-You get to do some cool surgeries.
-Oppurtunity to practice as much surgery or medicine as you like.
-On call isn't too bad as far as surgical specialties go.

Bad stuff:
-Potentially, you can deal with A LOT of cancer patients who can't be helped(colon) and even some surgeries with good results can have complications(impotence).

Be sure to check out the Uro surgeries posted at www.or-live.com if you are interested.

Take care.

Hey Fermata,
I didn't think that the colon was part of the urologist's repertoire (every little thing that's GU), but maybe one could argue that they are two halves of one system? :rolleyes: . Now really, although a urologist might use intestine as a conduit, I think colon cancer is the realm of the colorectal surgeon.
BY the way, thanks for posting that site, before I would have to rely on an individual department's website having web-viewable surgeries(like MGH--they have some good stuff).

I wouldn't NOT be a urologist! At the moment, I'm worried about NOT getting in somewhere :scared:!

Mediculous said:
Hey Fermata,
I didn't think that the colon was part of the urologist's repertoire (every little thing that's GU), but maybe one could argue that they are two halves of one system? :rolleyes: . Now really, although a urologist might use intestine as a conduit, I think colon cancer is the realm of the colorectal surgeon.
BY the way, thanks for posting that site, before I would have to rely on an individual department's website having web-viewable surgeries(like MGH--they have some good stuff).

You, of course, are right. Last time I checked, though, certain urologists will take the case because the numbers of colorectal surgeons walking about are not too high in number.

I'm assuming the reason why is because, more and more, the focus of each includes more laparoscopic technique. :D

That's pretty cool. I did not know that. Would you be able to call yourself a wiener and bun doc then? :D