• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

PB2464

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm currently 29 yrs old and preparing my journey into med school. I have an undergrad degree in Biology and my goal is to use the next 1-2 years gaining experience, volunteering, and re-taking courses. I received C/D in OrgI/OrgII and a C in Phy II. I want to better these grades, possibly taking the rest of the pre-reqs as well to prepare for the MCAT.

Is a post-bacc the best route? What about an SMP? I have yet to take the MCAT.

DrSumdae

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If I were you I would try a practice MCAT, first, to see how you do. And/or buy a Kaplan prep book (I also like the Nove prep books too).

I don't know if there are any post-bac programs in TX, but there must be something! (search at www.aamc.org) Maybe contact a TX state school and find out what your options might be?

zolaash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
there is a post-bacc at the University of North Texas Health Sciences Center in Ft. Worth. it is a 1 yr. Master's of Medical Sciences degree and is associated with TCOM. personally, i would just retake undergraduate courses before going there.

About the Ads

PB2464

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If I were you I would try a practice MCAT, first, to see how you do. And/or buy a Kaplan prep book (I also like the Nove prep books too).

I don't know if there are any post-bac programs in TX, but there must be something! (search at www.aamc.org) Maybe contact a TX state school and find out what your options might be?

I'm not sure about taking an MCAT at this time. Seems kind of counter-productive. I've been out of school for seven years and took most pre-reqs about nine years ago.

DrSumdae

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Oh, ok. Definately don't take a real MCAT for practice, but i think its a good idea to get a Kaplan book w/passages in it so that you can see what the material looks like. I think it is important to know what the MCAT is about when you start taking the pre-reqs.

Good luck!! :luck:

PB2464

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I agree. By reviewing the MCAT before pre-reqs I will have a better idea of what to concentrate my studies on. Good point.
I actually took an undergrad MCAT prep course around 2000. So, I'm somewhat familiar with the content, unless it's change a lot since then.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.