Any post-bacc programs in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PB2464

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently 29 yrs old and preparing my journey into med school. I have an undergrad degree in Biology and my goal is to use the next 1-2 years gaining experience, volunteering, and re-taking courses. I received C/D in OrgI/OrgII and a C in Phy II. I want to better these grades, possibly taking the rest of the pre-reqs as well to prepare for the MCAT.

Is a post-bacc the best route? What about an SMP? I have yet to take the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would try a practice MCAT, first, to see how you do. And/or buy a Kaplan prep book (I also like the Nove prep books too).

I don't know if there are any post-bac programs in TX, but there must be something! (search at www.aamc.org) Maybe contact a TX state school and find out what your options might be?

there is a post-bacc at the University of North Texas Health Sciences Center in Ft. Worth. it is a 1 yr. Master's of Medical Sciences degree and is associated with TCOM. personally, i would just retake undergraduate courses before going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you I would try a practice MCAT, first, to see how you do. And/or buy a Kaplan prep book (I also like the Nove prep books too).

I don't know if there are any post-bac programs in TX, but there must be something! (search at www.aamc.org) Maybe contact a TX state school and find out what your options might be?

I'm not sure about taking an MCAT at this time. Seems kind of counter-productive. I've been out of school for seven years and took most pre-reqs about nine years ago.

Oh, ok. Definately don't take a real MCAT for practice, but i think its a good idea to get a Kaplan book w/passages in it so that you can see what the material looks like. I think it is important to know what the MCAT is about when you start taking the pre-reqs.

Good luck!! :luck:

I agree. By reviewing the MCAT before pre-reqs I will have a better idea of what to concentrate my studies on. Good point.
I actually took an undergrad MCAT prep course around 2000. So, I'm somewhat familiar with the content, unless it's change a lot since then.