Any problem doing locums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mrcoolio01

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN members,

I'm currently employed in a full-time position at a hospital but am thinking about finding a different position for various reasons (frequent calls and burn out, 1hr+ commute, ...). I am several years out of residency without boards yet (still eligible), and this obviously is a setback in the job search. Would it be a red flag on my CV to work locum tenens locally for 1-2 years? I.e. would I have difficulty moving back to a permanent position after dabbling with a locums gig?

Thank you.
 
There's nothing inherently wrong with locums and if you make a good impression it may lead to a permanent offer with or without boards. But your first priority should be getting boarded.