Any Psych residents that did not match, initially?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For several reasons I mentioned in another thread, I fear my chances in this year's match, but do believe I would have better results in the next cycle, if it comes to that.

Would any psych residents who did not initially match (D.O. especially) mind sharing their experience, and whether they suggest research or an internship as the way to go?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I already replied to your post in the other forum (over here if others want to see). My feeling is that a TRI would probably be more useful, but then again I may be biased since that is the route I took. :)
Nobody likes having to go through the scramble, but doing a TRI isn't the end of the world if that's how things turn out. I will admit that there were times during that year that I did feel kind of bitter about not matching into psych right off the bat, but the internship I did was a valuable educational experience looking back on it. Having a solid foundation in medicine is never a bad thing for a psychiatrist to have. :)
Good luck!