any public schools for outstate applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any public schools that accepts out state applicants? I am here in california.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UVM: university of vermont... [lots of californians there...] but beware--although it is a public school, you wouldn't know it from the tuition + expenses = $50k!

Check out the USNews website. Sure - their ratings are a load of cr%p, but they have stats on out of state acceptances for each school. Personally, I'm from NJ and was accepted to several out of state public programs (Maryland, Penn State,...). When I applied last year, I evaluated schools on this basis: If it was an out of state public program I only applied to schools where my stats were significantly above the average (out-of-staters typically have higher stats than in-staters), from this pool I applied to the schools that took the most out-of-state students. It worked for me, I was invited for interviews at all public out-of-state programs I applied to but one (Ohio State).

Good luck to you...
jpc

Members don't see this ad :)
Eastern Virginia Medical School accepts a high number of CA residents-- they have amazing facilities. The %in/out of state interviewed/accepted can be found in your MSAR, too. As a fellow CA resident, I only applied to schools for which I did not have residency that accepted 20% or more out of staters; it seemed like a good cut-off point to me.

University of Michigan- over 40% of its class is out-of-state, many many many from CA

Just to clear up some stuff about Penn State: It's not public, it's private. The med school is funded by a private foundation, but is affiliated with a public institution for the purposes of granting degrees. The arrangement is much like that of Mount Sinai, which used to be affiliated with the City University of New York, a public institution, even though the medical school was private and funded by Mount Sinai Hospital.

Penn State still shows preference for PA residents, but only about half its class is made up of Quakers.

Tim of New York City.

Consider Texas...a certain percentage of out-of-staters are accepted, and they're almost all Californians!