Any Reason For Me To Consolidate My Student Loans? Details In Text Below.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krancid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about $135k in loans from medical school and undergrad (I took a year off between undergrad and med school).

I am set to graduate medical school in 2 weeks.

All my loans are Direct Stafford loans.

I was just approved for IDR (REPAYE) and I just submitted my PSLF eligibility work form.

My loans from medical school go into repayment starting January 2019 ($113k) since there is a 6 months grace period on them.

My loans from undergrad go into repayment as soon as I graduate in 2 weeks ($21k).

All my loans are serviced with Great Lakes.

My question is...
Any reason for me to consolidate all of these loans or should I leave as is? I guess the only benefit to consolidating is that I would get a 6-month head start on PSLF with my med school loans, but can't I just make minimum payments on them regardless?

I guess I am not sure whether I should consolidate or not. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot make payments on your loans until your grace period is used up (I asked and tried), so if you do want to get a head start on PSLF then yes, that is a valid reason to consolidate.

There are downsides to consolidating (you can't selectively pay off the highest rate loan anymore, the interest rate is rounded up to the nearest eighth of a percent), but getting six more months of credit towards PSLF makes it worth it in my mind.

I highly suggest you consolidate ASAP if you are considering PSLF. It takes a couple months before a payment qualifies due to required forbearance for one mont. I wish I had the extra 8-9 months towards PSLF (my first qualifying payment was May of PGY-1 due to the changes in repayment plans when I graduated and effects of consolidation. Also REPAYE has some nice subsidy benefits on interest you don't get during your grace period.