Any Reccomendations/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayyntee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you guys read a lot of these kinds of threads, but I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I graduated from UC Berkeley with a Nutritional Science degree and a 2.5 GPA. I am not sure my pre-req GPA, but here is a list of the grades I got.

English A-
Psychology A
Sociology B, Anthropology A
Statistics C-
Chemistry C, Did not take 2nd part of Chemistry
Physics C+, Did not take 2nd part of Physics
Biology B, Did not take 2nd part of Biology
Anatomy A
Physiology B+ lab A

Other than re-taking the C- I got in Statistics, and taking the 2nd part of the science classes, I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. Since graduating, I started going to a local community college and started to ease my way back to school. My last 31 units have been all A's at the community college, and though they may have been easy classes, and not as rigorous as a UC Berkeley class, I was wondering what you guys recommend in order for me to get into a school. I plan on applying in the Fall of 2012 so I still have a year to improve. I recently got a job as PT aide for an ortho outpatient clinic, so I plan on doing that until I get accepted. I plan on waiting for the new GRE's, and I just wanted to get some input, since all you guys are really helpful with that.

What kind of volunteer work should I do? What else do I need to prepare for the application process? Are my stats good enough? What can I do to study for the new GRE's? Is there a website where I can calculate my overall GPA, and my pre-req GPA?

I wish I would have done a lot better in school, so I could have gone straight into it, but I did not realize I would get into this profession until after I graduated. I am trying to do my best to turn things around and I appreciate the time you guys are taking to read and respond to my post. Any insight, advice, and recommendations will be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Retake every class that you did not get an A in and get an A.

The frustrating part about raising my GPA is that even though I have been getting straight A's the last two semesters at the community college, my cumulative GPA hardly goes up, because I graduated with 125 units, not to mention my UC GPA will not change unless I take classes at UC Berkeley. Will this affect my chances in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you fret about something you can't change? Focus on doing the best you can at the things you CAN change.

Yeah, I'm staying positive and just trying my best with everything I'm doing. Is there anything else you guys recommend I do?

Score really high on the GRE. Chem and physics will help with that.

I was also wondering is there a website where I can calculate my cum. GPA with the new classes I took after getting my degree, as well as my pre-req GPA?

If I make a PTCAS account can I do it there without sending out any applications?

Yeah, but it takes a crazy long time to get that far. Several months. You can do it yourself in 10 mins.

With respect to LOR's, is there a place where I can store them? Or do I have to just wait for the year I will apply to ask for them?

When PTCAS is open again, just enter the information for the person giving the referral. PTCAS sends out a form to that person and they send it back (I think via email). I think you can also print out a paper version and give it to the referrer.

So if I get one this year, it will be there again stored for next year's application?

Members don't see this ad :)
no, it is not saved. you have to redo it every year.

Do schools often look at what you do post degree? And other than improving my GPA, should I do more volunteer hours than the minimum? I am just scared no school is wiling to give me a chance. I know the only way to find out is to wait and apply next year, but I want to make sure I am preparing the right way this upcoming year.

Do schools often look at what you do post degree? And other than improving my GPA, should I do more volunteer hours than the minimum? I am just scared no school is wiling to give me a chance. I know the only way to find out is to wait and apply next year, but I want to make sure I am preparing the right way this upcoming year.

I doubt they really care what you do post-degree. I would suggest more hours than the minimum, in 3 or 4 different areas.

I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice

My only advise is to try to get a 3.0 gpa in both pre-req and overall. Either by retaking some classes or taking the ones you need (chem 2, phys 2, bio 2)

I am not part of the admissions commitee of the school you are going to apply to. But 3.0 is the magic number. There will be people here saying that you never know what can happen and miracles do happen, and they had a 2.8gpa and was accepted to a top 20 school, well they are the exception. You never know, you may very well get accepted with a sub 3.0 GPA, but you can help your chances by increasing your GPA.

I entered my stuff in an excell program that calc the overall GPA w/ the PTCAS point values. It gave me an estimate of what to expect. I also pulled the prereqs out and did a GPA on those. Just entered all my stuff into PTCAS today and find out I can't access their GPA values until I pay and complete the process. Dang

Just entered all my stuff into PTCAS today and find out I can't access their GPA values until I pay and complete the process. Dang

You can still pay now and your GPA still wont show up. They will not calculate any of your GPAs until they receive your transcripts. Better to send those in ASAP because the transcripts take a long time for PTCAS to process later in the year when they get inundated with applicants. It's great you are getting a head start!!! :thumbup:

jbizzle at your interviews did they ask any questions about GPA? if so, what did you tell them?

jbizzle at your interviews did they ask any questions about GPA? if so, what did you tell them?

To tell you the truth, they didn't ask anything about my GPA. I was prepared for it though (because some people told me they will ask this to see my reaction, so be prepared for this when practicing)...but pretty much what I would have told them was the same thing I put in the PTCAs application where it asks if my grades reflect my academic abilities.

But what they did ask is that i was a repeat applicant, so they asked what I did last year to make my application more stronger, which is sorta like a GPA question. SO I told them that I took extra classes, some pre-reqs for some schools, got CPR/AED certified.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I graduated in 2004 with a 2.7 and 132 credit hour. It's been so hard raising my overall GPA. So far I have all As in my prerequisites in the last 36 hours but my overall GPA is really limiting the schools I can apply to. It can be really frustrating and discouraging. If you ever want to vent you can send me a message.

I just took the GRE last week and thankfully I got a 570 Verbal and 640 Math. My best advice is study for the GRE. A good GRE score will help :)

I know you guys read a lot of these kinds of threads, but I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I graduated from UC Berkeley with a Nutritional Science degree and a 2.5 GPA. I am not sure my pre-req GPA, but here is a list of the grades I got.

English A-
Psychology A
Sociology B, Anthropology A
Statistics C-
Chemistry C, Did not take 2nd part of Chemistry
Physics C+, Did not take 2nd part of Physics
Biology B, Did not take 2nd part of Biology
Anatomy A
Physiology B+ lab A

What kind of volunteer work should I do? What else do I need to prepare for the application process?

I got accepted into 2 of the 3 schools I applied to, one as an early in with no interview (this school does interview). Call the schools you want to go to and see if there is someone that can advise you. But I would suggest retaking everything you have a C in and getting A's, as well as make A's in the second parts of the science classes. Some schools, will average the 2 grades together and others will take the latest grade, it depends on the school. UTMB, averages. TWU takes the last grade (I got into both of these). Do well on the GRE as well. It will be a lot of work, but you can get it done.:D It takes time and dedication to the books. I don't know who can help with the GRE as to they have redone it. I did not do all that wonderful there, but was still over an 1150 overall. Good luck on the process, lots of work, but much reward.