Any recent UDM interview feedback??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lums2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have an interview coming up at UDM with a Dr. William something (I didn't get his last name, the secretary said it so quickly). Can anyone who had an interview recently please tell me what it's like?

Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

UDM = univ of detroit mercy right?

Sorry I don't have interview yet... But I'm very interested in knowing how it goes for u, plz post back how it went

Try the "Interview Feedback" section. The interview was laid back so you have nothing to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
UDM = univ of detroit mercy right?

Sorry I don't have interview yet... But I'm very interested in knowing how it goes for u, plz post back how it went

Yup, I was talking about Detroit Mercy. The interview feedback for this school is minimal (I think there's only one for 2009), but maybe it's because it was very easy going for everyone...
I will definitely post something in the interview feedback once it's done.

the interview experience was a good one.

i was impressed by the students and the facilities.

a random professor actually came and greeted me while i was waiting in the patient reception room! she was super nice and wished me good luck on my interview. lol

they take you on an hr tour of the school with a dental/hygienist student and then you have a one-on-one interview with one of the faculty members.

my interviewer asked 2 or 3 interview questions for about 15-20 minutes and then after that it was a casual conversation about the city, hockey, and etc.

i was really impressed when my interviewer wanted to give me the contact of a current student and we walked around the whole school looking for that student. i think the faculty there really care about their students.

lol be aware that they don't give you lunch during the interview so eat a decent breakfast before you go or you might end up hungry during the interview. :laugh:

i really like UDM. it's too bad the neighborhood isn't so great and it's a commuter school(ie you need to have your own car=more expense. apparently no one uses public transportation in detroit. the cab driver laughed at me when i asked about taking the bus to school. :p)

I think they accept most of the ppl they interview. why else would they measure you for the white coat?

good luck guys!

I had my interview at UDM on Feb 12th. It was mostly a conversation with may be couple of questions asked like why dentistry?
- but i think the class is already full or nearly full.
- i really liked the school though. hope i get it.

good luck :)

I had my interview at UDM on Feb 12th. It was mostly a conversation with may be couple of questions asked like why dentistry?
- but i think the class is already full or nearly full.
- i really liked the school though. hope i get it.

good luck :)

wow it's nearly full?

i thought UDM started interviews late.

It's quite laid back. My interview lasted for about an hour and my interviewer had a bunch of questions prepared that he wanted to ask. I had an early interview so I had the tour afterward. It's a great school!!

And when I was there, they mentioned they interview as late as July. Apparently they started the interview process late October, early November this year.

Hello,
when did they send you the interview invite and for when is it??
Thanks!

Miss AM, my interview is for this Friday (19th), and I noticed an AADSAS status change last week (Monday I think it was). No worries, it's still early for them, I'm sure you still have a shot.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it! Good to know they don't feed you, I'll make sure to have a big breakfast:) I live in Windsor, so luckily the lack of public transportation isn't really an issue for me. Really hope I get in, it's my first choice!:xf:

I would imagine since they have a later due date to submit the application materials that they might be a little further behind in the interviewing process than most schools.

Good luck on your interview!!
Could you please update me on how full the class is after your interview?? (they might mention it to you during the interview)
Thank you!! and hope to hear good news!!!!

Hey, I tried to post something on the interview feedback section but I kept getting a server error. The interview went well, and it was very laid back. Surprisingly it was much longer than I expected, and my interviewer bought me and a 4th year student lunch:) I was asked a lot of the typical questions (why dentistry etc.), but most of the time we just chatted about other things. I asked about how full the class is, and I received vague answers....from what I understood, the class is somewhat filled...not sure what that means, but he said that they had a limit to the number of Canadians they accept (bc he said they receive some federal help). So maybe it is full or getting full for Canadians. If you're an American I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'm not sure how filled the class really is...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah i think the class is full, may be just for Canadians. when i had my interview which was on feb 12th, my interviewer said that this interview is for alternative list. I was really disappointed then, but lets just hope for the best.

Yah i think the class is full, may be just for Canadians. when i had my interview which was on feb 12th, my interviewer said that this interview is for alternative list. I was really disappointed then, but lets just hope for the best.

That sucks so much. Who did you interview with that said that?

i called this week. its full if every1 they sent offers out to, accepts. that being said, if poeple drop a spot, spots open.

so how does the system work? if a Canadian drops then only another Canadian is accepted or does it not matter who drops and its completely on to the waiting list?

Thanks.

I interviewed there. It's really a good school and the interview was laid back and fun and the interviewer gave me a "second" tour of the school. The only concern I have though is that they don't house an OMFS program but from what the interviewer told me they have residents from one of the other programs in Detroit running their OMS Clinic he said it was a 6 year program but didn't say which one. I hope someone who know better can tell us. They also don't have any research whatsoever but I don't think that's a great deal. In fact, I only mention these things because I am interested in OMFS myself but besides this the school is really good and the staff is really SUPER NICE.

lack of omfs program shouldn't be huge concern.
fourth year hospital based clinic allows students to work with medically compromised patients
students from udm do continue on to postgraduate studies including omfs

lack of omfs program shouldn't be huge concern.
fourth year hospital based clinic allows students to work with medically compromised patients
students from udm do continue on to postgraduate studies including omfs

Oh, I agree. I did not say that they don't get accepted into residency program, I was just wondering if anyone who attended there and went on to specialize or still attending there but is getting ready to specialize can tell us how his experience was. Still, I believe it is a pretty good school.

I interviewed there. It's really a good school and the interview was laid back and fun and the interviewer gave me a "second" tour of the school. The only concern I have though is that they don't house an OMFS program but from what the interviewer told me they have residents from one of the other programs in Detroit running their OMS Clinic he said it was a 6 year program but didn't say which one. I hope someone who know better can tell us. They also don't have any research whatsoever but I don't think that's a great deal. In fact, I only mention these things because I am interested in OMFS myself but besides this the school is really good and the staff is really SUPER NICE.

First off, I do not like UDMSD and i recommend everyone chose to go elsewhere! With that said, the lack of an OMFS program is not a concern! You get good OS training at UDM, no better or worse than any other school. There are residents from Detroit that work in UDMSD's OS clinic. So students do get to work with OS residents. But you don't really get to do any of their work. As a student, you won't get anything more than simple and the occasional surgical extraction. It would be the same without any OS residents in the clinic. I'm really not sure they add all that much to your experience! You get to interact with them, but i am not sure i have learned anything from them! They do take some of the student cases away from students so in that regard, it is sort of a negative!

i think the faculty there really care about their students.

Based on what? On an interview, of course the faculty are going to seem like they care about the students! I didn't like my experience at UDMSD, but I won't say that the faculty hated the students. I won't go so far to say that they care either. I think they are there to do a job! I think they take pride in their job, but they don't personally care about the students!

For the most part, the faculty are fine. I think they are there because it is a job and they want a change of pace from private practice. Many of them are retired. There are a select few faculty that really spoil it. They are few though!

My point is that only a few faculty will be a pain in the neck to deal with. It's unfortunate that most of those are in positions of leadership. The think that will be an even bigger pain in the neck in the clinic are all the policies. The clinical faculty are just fine, it's the policies, paperwork, signatures, waiting in lines, etc. that will drive you nuts!

Whatever you do, don't go to UDMSD, those who have been accepted have no idea what they are getting into. They are sure to not enjoy their experience at UDMSD!

Ok guys, just to remain fair. While I don't claim to have been a student of UDM, I strongly believe that UDM H8tr has a biased view or someone with an agenda, most likely the latter. In fact, as it has been suggested before on another post, I believe that he is someone on UDM's waiting list and is trying to get people with acceptances to withdraw and go elsewhere so that he has a chance. Think about it, the account was started in Feb 2010, this very month mind you. And every post has been an attack on UDM. That's just my 2 cents.

Ok guys, just to remain fair. While I don't claim to have been a student of UDM, I strongly believe that UDM H8tr has a biased view or someone with an agenda, most likely the latter. In fact, as it has been suggested before on another post, I believe that he is someone on UDM's waiting list and is trying to get people with acceptances to withdraw and go elsewhere so that he has a chance. Think about it, the account was started in Feb 2010, this very month mind you. And every post has been an attack on UDM. That's just my 2 cents.

Those who believe your conspiracy works are foolish (trying to get people with acceptances to withdraw and go elsewhere so that he has a chance). I may be biased but my agenda is nothing more than to offer what information and warning I wish I had prior to dental school. Certainly ironic timing, I'll give you that much!

Those who believe your conspiracy works are foolish (trying to get people with acceptances to withdraw and go elsewhere so that he has a chance). I may be biased but my agenda is nothing more than to offer what information and warning I wish I had prior to dental school. Certainly ironic timing, I'll give you that much!

Sure, sure. I am sure us conspiracy thinker fools, also believe that Oswald had other help and may be even in the Easter Bunny, because we are pointing to the fact that you just opened an account yesterday, probably after receiving the wait list letter, and expect us to blindly believe u. Oh well, maybe.

Last edited:
Anyway UDM H8tr I was just joking with this last post. And I was just making an observation in my earlier post and did not mean to offend you bro. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: