Any recommendations before starting Intership? When do I take Step 3???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgery4FoSho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I will be graduating med school this may and will be starting internship year late june. Ill be doing Emergency Medicine. I must admit am really scared of the transition from medical student to an actual doctor.

1. Is there anything I should focus on doing before I start residency? Do I just relax and enjoy it? Is there anything you all would have done different before starting residency?

2. When do you have to take Step 3? Is it before you finish your PGY-2 year? I am thinking of studying for step 3 already but I don't know if its too early?

3. Any advise on how to start paying back loans?

Thank you guys for any advise!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is there anything I should focus on doing before I start residency? Do I just relax and enjoy it? Is there anything you all would have done different before starting residency?

Relaxing, having fun, traveling, spending time with family/friends.

2. When do you have to take Step 3? Is it before you finish your PGY-2 year? I am thinking of studying for step 3 already but I don't know if its too early?
You'll have to check with your residency program; the requirements vary. I have to take Step 3 before PGY-2, some programs it's later.

3. Any advise on how to start paying back loans?

Not really. Talk with your school's financial counselor. There are some good repayment programs out there.

Good luck!

...2. When do you have to take Step 3? Is it before you finish your PGY-2 year? I am thinking of studying for step 3 already but I don't know if its too early?...
The time to take step 3 is generally dependent on your state. Although, you can take it under the "authority" of another state then where you live. I recommend people take it at the end of PGY1 early during PGY2 year. USMLE3 is broad and so waiting too long means you are further and further away from the ~general practice foundation and more specialized. Most people I know use the family practice review book to study. Its name is like a soup company brand name or something, I can't remember it right now, it's not campbells...

Your program and/or state may have a rule about when you have to take it, or not (mine don't) although you will have to take it before you can take your specialty boards (I know someone who took Step 3 and the ABIM exam within 2 months of each other). Practically speaking though, I agree with JAD. End of intern year/beginning of PGY2 year is the best time. I took mine in August of PGY2.

I used Crush Step 3 and USMLEWorld Lite questions (my library had that available for free) ad well as the practice disk they sent out. Studied about 5 hours a week for a month. Scored better on that than either of the other exams.