Any researchers in the field of psychology+tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freeprozac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently narrowing down the list of the programs I'm applying to and urgently need to find more mentors (ideally those who accept new students for Fall of 2019) within the area of psychology and tech.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you be more specific? This is fairly broad.
For example, one of the faculty I'm applying to work with is Nicholas Allen. His work includes using mobile and wearable devices, and social media, to analyze behavior and create mental health tools.

There aren't many clinical psych researchers in the US that I could find so feel free to throw some names out there and I can check out their work. Generally, I'm interested in using technology to address mental health needs, VR, analyzing language and behavior online, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect you may find more researching a particular area rather than in general (e.g., sleep researchers may have studies going on the use of apps to aid in homework completion). After all, you could apply this interest to most/any diagnostic group and treatment engagement, homework completion, outcome efficacy, etc.

Some of these are housed in the engineering departments. Cybernetics, brain interface, visual interface, and neuroprosthetic are very hot right now. Lot of grant money in that. And that is the story behind me "misbehaving" at the most boring academic dinner I've ever been to.

If you're specifically looking into analyzing word count stuff, you're looking for Jamie Pennebaker.

Most of this work if probably going in the experimental psych or neuroscience areas. Clinical psych tends to lag behind a bit. One thing you could do is find an experimental/neuroscience program housed next to a clinical psych faculty and have Co-advisors. A few people in my grad school were in this situation.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve seen a range of wearable technology research occurring through joint projects with Neuroscience and Engineering Dept, with the PIs being research faculty at AMCs. I’ve seen it studied with CVA and TBI populations. Of course there is also research going on in Neuroscience + Neurosurgery depts for everything from Parkinson’s to treatment resistant depression.

There is a lab at UCSD looking at VR for the treatment of PTSD. I’m not sure if they are still in that area bc it was 5-6yrs ago now, but very cool initial findings.

There were some good talks about leveraging technology in a physical rehab setting from 2-4 years ago at the mid-winter conference for Division 22 (Rehabilitation Psychology). You should be able to google the schedules/topics from any of the recent years.

Tons of folks doing work in this area now (including me and several people I work with, but we don't take students). It really just depends what you want to focus on. However, a lot are not in clinical psychology programs. Depending on the relative emphasis on technology development vs. application, you'll find them in neuroscience, engineering or public health, medicine and nursing.

I'd add Gary Bennett at Duke to your list if he's not already on there.

Clint Bowers at University of Central Florida