Any SAHM?

Started by MeMommy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MeMommy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any SAHM trying to get into medicine? I just turned 35 and have 2 kids - 4 & 6 yr old. I am currently a licensed real estate agent. I am an undergraduate Zoology major and a Comp Sci Masters. I would really like to connect with other SAHM(I work part time) & would like to know how they are going about pursuing their dream. Thanks.
 
I was a SAHM until recently. I did a master's online so I could stay home with my babies, but had to start working once the economic deferral for my student loans ran out. I'm currently waitlisted @ my state school. it took me about 10 years to get to this point. I think one thing that might have hurt my app was my lack of volunteer work due. are you applying this cycle?
 
I am a SAHM. I was home for 4 yrs after my oldest was born. I went back to school 3 yrs ago when my boys were 2 and 4 to take post bacc classes, my kids went into daycare 2 days/week at this point. I've been home again with my 5 yr old this whole year while I applied. I did as well as can be expected, 3 DO acceptances and an interview at my state MD school where I was ultimately rejected. I am starting in the fall. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another SAHM mom here as well. I am currently 33 and I have a dual degree in Finance and Economics but I have been home for NINE years. My kiddos are almost 7 & 8.5 and think it is SOOO cool that I will be in school too. LOL

At this point, it just made sense to go back to school before going back to work. I have just been out WAY to long. Since I am going back anyway, why not do something I am passionate about?? I started college as a pre-med and then met my husband soph. year. Convinced I could not have a family and medicine, I changed majors. Lucky for me, he is very supportive... After reading these boards, and seeing I won't be the only 30 something in school, I decided to take my shot.

I am starting with 2 summer courses next month to get my feet wet before I start full-time in the fall. I am SOOO excited. Good-luck to us all!!
 
Wow! It is pretty encouraging to see SAHMs jumping back to the bandwagon! Cheers and best luck to us all! Thanks for replying ladies 🙂🙂
 
There's a girl in my class that was a SAHM for several years. She has two schoolage kids. As far as I can tell, she is doing very well. Kudos to the moms that are pushing themselves to do med school! I can't imagine doing school and taking care of children but I'm seeing it done. It's a long haul, but I think the example you guys set for your kids is great. 🙂