Any Secondaries yet??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNPCook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my AMCAS application June 1st this year and was wondering if any of you got any secondaries (and from where?).
Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

IIRC, while you can submit AMCAS on June 1st, they don't release the app to schools until later in June. You probably won't see many posts about receiving secondaries for a couple more weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain what secondaries are? I have a general idea but I really don't understand what it is except ploy to get more money

Can someone explain what secondaries are? I have a general idea but I really don't understand what it is except ploy to get more money

They are a total scam. I'm sure they began with the idea of giving the applicant more opportunity to express themselves, but have turned to smut. IMO. I'm just angry that I'll have to drop like 2-3k on them :mad:

Then you'll be really confused when you have to submit your thirdaries.

No AMCAS secondaries yet, but all my TMDSAS secondaries are already submitted :D

To answer the previous poster, I think a long time ago you had to apply to every single medical school individually. Then as applicants began applying to more and more schools they decided to simplify life a little and create a centralized service that sent out a uniform application to all schools. This service handled all the "basic" stuff that was getting really repetitive to fill out with the old system--demographics, coursework, test scores, a general essay, and so forth.

However, most schools still wanted to receive a bit more personal information about candidates that looked OK in the primary app, but about whom they were unsure if they wanted to interview yet. The secondary application for a specific school usually asks for more short essays, often on the theme of "why this school in particular?" It is a way to differentiate between those who are truly interested in attending there and those who just applied shotgun style and applied everywhere without actually investigating schools.

The $$$ is a big part of it, too. I guess having an admissions committee and processing all those applicants and doing interviews cost a lot. Not all schools have secondaries. Some don't ask for any additional detail, but just want your $75. Filling them out sucks, but it acts to whittle down the applicant pool since a lot of would-be applicants end up not bothering.