Any shot at GEN SURG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karla Bracho

Reaction score
Just got my step 1 score back (226)

would like to know your honest opinion on the chances of matching for general surgery + any advice that you may have.

thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re USMD your chances are pretty good with some good selection of which programs to apply to. If you’re DO then still possible with a broad app, but not a slam dunk, if you’re IMG then chances are very slim.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply! I am an IMG, will work with what I’ve got I guess🤍

Edit: I just realized ur a GS PGY-1, congrats on the accomplishment! 🙌🏻💙

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of data on the NRMP website for the match that can be helpful.

Looking at the data, they break it down into U.S. and non-U.S. IMGs.

For the 2020 gen surg match, the mean STEP 1 scores for US and non-US IMGs were 237 and 242, respectively. Roughly 20% of those who matched had graduate degrees and 5 or more research experiences. Among those who matched, US IMGs ranked an average of 8 programs vs 4 for non-US IMGs.

I didn't see any 2021 applicant data, but from the 2021 match there were 83 US IMGs and 73 non-US IMGs that matched into gen surg among 1569 spots. Of those who only ranked gen surg, 46% of US IMGs matched and 43% of non-US IMGs matched.

There's a lot more that goes into an application than just your STEP score, but it is often the first cut-off in weeding out applications for interviews. Your score is below the average for matching IMGs (non-matching was about 10 points lower) and differences in mean STEP I scores along with number of programs ranked were the only major differences I could appreciate between those who matched and those who didn't from the data available.

The numbers are what they are so you'll need to look at the strength of your application in other areas to bolster your chances of getting an interview and matching. Getting information from your own program on who has matched into general surgery would be a start. I would also recommend touching base with those alumni who were successful matching into gen surg for help.

It's not impossible to match into a US gen surg residency as an IMG, but the bar is set much higher and there is a good chance you may not land a categorical spot on your first try. You may end up in a prelim position and will need to work extra hard in that situation to prove you should earn a categorical position the next year.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
There's a lot of data on the NRMP website for the match that can be helpful.

Looking at the data, they break it down into U.S. and non-U.S. IMGs.

For the 2020 gen surg match, the mean STEP 1 scores for US and non-US IMGs were 237 and 242, respectively. Roughly 20% of those who matched had graduate degrees and 5 or more research experiences. Among those who matched, US IMGs ranked an average of 8 programs vs 4 for non-US IMGs.

I didn't see any 2021 applicant data, but from the 2021 match there were 83 US IMGs and 73 non-US IMGs that matched into gen surg among 1569 spots. Of those who only ranked gen surg, 46% of US IMGs matched and 43% of non-US IMGs matched.

There's a lot more that goes into an application than just your STEP score, but it is often the first cut-off in weeding out applications for interviews. Your score is below the average for matching IMGs (non-matching was about 10 points lower) and differences in mean STEP I scores along with number of programs ranked were the only major differences I could appreciate between those who matched and those who didn't from the data available.

The numbers are what they are so you'll need to look at the strength of your application in other areas to bolster your chances of getting an interview and matching. Getting information from your own program on who has matched into general surgery would be a start. I would also recommend touching base with those alumni who were successful matching into gen surg for help.

It's not impossible to match into a US gen surg residency as an IMG, but the bar is set much higher and there is a good chance you may not land a categorical spot on your first try. You may end up in a prelim position and will need to work extra hard in that situation to prove you should earn a categorical position the next year.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate the time you invested in looking up and interpreting the data available! I will follow your advices!!

It's very tough for IMGs but it's not impossible.

Things you can do to increase your chances:

-Get a much higher score on step 2 (250+)
-Get a lot of productive research/papers (1year+ in a group/lab)
-Make connections/get US clinical experience to get good LORs from well-known surgeons/researchers
-You may have to initially go the prelim route and then reapply

Internal medicine would be an easier match and still leave you with many options for specialization.

Just got my step 1 score back (226)

would like to know your honest opinion on the chances of matching for general surgery + any advice that you may have.

thank you so much in advance!
I'm a DO student with a 224 so I feel your worry.

Listen to the peeps and advice on this forum, they know what they're talking about.