Any states where I can get in-state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PtHopeful_2016

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I am looking to go to PT school and honestly just want to do it as cheap as possible. I was wondering what states (other than my home state) can you qualify for "in state" tuition after the first year. I have heard you can in Colorado, but do you know of any other states/programs where it is common/easy to qualify for in state tuition??
 
I also applied to out-of-state schools, but from what I understand, it's usually difficult to get approved for in-state tuition if you're only moving there for school. It varies by each state, so it might be easier to make a list of schools you're interested in and then look up the individual state laws regarding tuition. I know in Maryland it's very hard to get in-state, so I'm not going to bother trying.
 
A lot of schools offer "scholarships" that reduce the tuition to close to in state. But these may not be obvious from a website. And the amount can vary year to year. But it's worth asking at your favorite school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Private PT schools don't have an in-state or out-of-state tuition. Everyone pays the same for schooling.
 
When I applied a couple of years ago, Arizona still allowed students to become residents after the first year. I'm not sure if that's still true, though, so definitely double check.
 
I believe NAU (the only public PT school in Arizona) allows you to become a resident after your first year. It's a bit tricky as you need to change as many things as possible to your AZ address once you get there but several of the OOS second years I spoke with said they qualified for in state this year.