Any suggestions for schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delods0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would appreciate any help/insight into schools that may be within my grasp. A range of schools from good chances to reaches would be great. Thanks in advance for all y'alls time!

About me:
- 23 now and would be turning 25 the fall I matriculate (should I get in of course)
- Hispanic, born in TX, moved abroad at the age of 4 and came back to the US for college. Parents are still abroad and I therefore do not have residency in any state (although I have been paying taxes in NC, where I just graduated, for the past 2 years so maybe I can get lucky and get residency here, I do not know).
- After my freshman year, I took time off school to work (1.5 years) in order to fully fund my education. Held a full time job with serious responsibility as a Junior Trust Administrator.
- Eventually came back to school where my cGPA was a ~2.8. Worked hard and got it up to a cGPA of 3.66 and graduated this May. My major is Economics with a minor in Chemistry. All my pre-med classes have been A's except for a B in gen chem I and C+ in calc I (taken my freshman year) and a B in Biochemistry (took it during the summer with a history class too = a paper and test due every week, close to 250 pages of reading every night, you get the picture). My sGPA is a 3.7 (yes, took into account my calc I grade).
- ~300h of research in bioinformatics (cancer drug discovery, ribosome profiling and RNA-seq). Pretty independent in what I do, I'd spend ~13h/week working on it. Also had no prior background in computer science so learned everything I know on my own.
- ~60h of volunteering in the OR at my school's affiliated hospital.
- Resident Advisor for freshman for 2 years
- Taking the MCAT next week! (Good luck to everyone in the same boat!)
- During my gap year, I am going back into the work force (got a job as an Analyst for Deutsche Bank) and continuing my research remotely while volunteering at the local hospital next to where I will be living in FL.

That's pretty much all I can think of in terms of the information about me... If you want to know anything else then just ask and I'll tell! I completely understand that one of my limitations is in volunteering and maybe shadowing... Just understand that ever since I have came back to school (2013), I have been taking classes every semester and summer in order to graduate as quickly as possible. Due to being financially independent, I could not afford to take an unpaid internship or do things that would advance me as a prospective medical student. Also, being financially independent does not change your Federal Financial Aid Package, they still base it off your parents salary... Therefore, I was still getting the same amount of aid as if my parents paid for my education... Anyway, enough explaining because this is already a long post.

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, the reason I am not doing research instead is because DB pays much better.... I am trying to clear the majority of my undergraduate loans before I start racking up more debt for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mexican. I speak French fluently (actually was educated in French in elementary school, bilingual for middle school and english in high school). My Spanish could be better but it gets by.

Mexican. I speak French fluently (actually was educated in French in elementary school, bilingual for middle school and english in high school). My Spanish could be better but it gets by.
Come back with an MCAT and we'll talk.
No community service?

A few hours here and there (e.g at an orphanage a few times, some events where I took my freshman on my hall) but nothing considerable unfortunately... Thank you for your responses though! I definitely want honest opinions and no sugar coating it.

A few hours here and there (e.g at an orphanage a few times, some events where I took my freshman on my hall) but nothing considerable unfortunately...

This will be a missing element common to most strong applications.

Reactions: 1 user
I completely understand that shadowing and community service can correlate with how much you want to help others and thus may be a good indicator of a good doctor. It's just a shame that my experience will not count for much when I know it has shaped me in a way to become a great doctor...

I completely understand that shadowing and community service can correlate with how much you want to help others and thus may be a good indicator of a good doctor. It's just a shame that my experience will not count for much when I know it has shaped me in a way to become a great doctor...
We need evidence.
You need support to get accepted.

Even if you somehow make it through screening:
The researchers won't champion your cause.
The UIM members won't have much to say.
The student reviewers will eat you alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I completely understand gyngyn and I am sure that if I were in your shoes that's how I'd operate too!

We need evidence.
You need support to get accepted.

Even if you somehow make it through screening:
The researchers won't champion your cause.
The UIM members won't have much to say.
The student reviewers will eat you alive.

Does that mean I shouldn't even bother applying?

Does that mean I shouldn't even bother applying?
You would be well advised to address the weaknesses in your application before applying.
You do not want to become a re-applicant for predictable reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gotten my preliminary percentiles:

CP: 82-97
CARS: 76-91
Bio/BC: 85-100
BSSP: 81-96
Total: 86-96

After digging I've also realized that I have completed community service in the form of soup kitchen (60h) and free tutoring (60h). Why I had forgotten about it? I don't know... I guess I only tried to focus on medically related activities I was involved in.