Any suggestions on what to do for gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supercow323

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
more volunteer hours at food pantry or something similar maybe...? idk just an idea

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need more research based on the schools you would be applying to. Might as well stick with the PCT job since you are comfortable with it.

Keep getting more volunteer hours at the food pantry.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need more research based on the schools you would be applying to. Might as well stick with the PCT job since you are comfortable with it.

Keep getting more volunteer hours at the food pantry.
Did OP mention the schools he/she are planning to apply to ?

The schools you plan on applying to don't highly value research experience so staying with the clinical job may be good. One reason you might want to switch to research would be if your Plan B would be to pursue higher education in a field related to bench research or if you'd like to work with your bachelor's degree in a lab or other research setting.

Reactions: 1 users
gotcha, that makes sense looking at my school list. I was thinkjng that if do take a gap year, if my clinical hours of 700+ were enough I was thinking of changing the scenery and going into clinical research perhaps where I can get both worlds? I thought that maybe getting more research will make my app more well rounded, but do you think it might be better to just get more hours on top of 700 in the case I have to reapply a third time in May of 2024 (since I’m planning on applying for a second time this upcoming May). I think I saw somewhere that once you hit around 1000 hours of a clinical EC it doesn’t matter too much once you go above that? I might be mistaken though
I don't see much benefit since is not like you have no research at all on your app. You should not have to reapply again, especially if you have a longer DO list this time around. If you find an opportunity that seems interesting to you or pays better, you can change to clinical research during your gap year. Yes, there is a declining impact past the 1000 hour point.

Those schools are more service-oriented so as the others are saying something working with underserved populations, maybe both in a clinical setting and in a volunteer setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.