Any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakbabydoll

Average student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
k so I just transfered to a 4 year university and I am having a lot of trouble adjusting. I did horrible on my first Organic and first physics test. How did you guys handle freshmen year at college? I really can't afford to get bad grades because my GPA is going to start over and that means it could go down to 3.0 if I get all B's or even worse. I had a 3.8 at the CC so thats going to look horrible on my application. So what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people have difficulty during their first year at college, including myself. It wasn't until my sophomore year that I started to hit my stride, both personally and academically. Don't worry too much if your grades aren't stellar the first year (obviously try and do your best though) because many admissions committees look upon your application if you show an upward trend in your grades during your sophomore, junior, and senior years.

true but I am taking pre-reqs my first year. Second even though it is my first year at a 4 year university I have 44 credits so I am 2nd year student.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing to keep in mind is that all of your grades will count in the end, even though you are going to have a clean slate. I guess that will work in your favor.

I can't say how much harder a 4-year program is compared to a CC because I haven't experienced it, but logically, it should be more work. I guess the things you should really focus on is time management and work habits/ethics. The work that you do now and the demand from it should be much more than before. If you can find a way to manage your time better and figure out what study methods work for you, then you will definitely adjust and do better.

Also, some people just do poorly on the first test because they don't have a sense of how the professor test their students. Now that you have that one test under your belt, you will have a better sense of what to expect the next time.

Good luck!

Thanks I'll work on time managment. I just hope I don't bomb this....

Good to see you posting again PBD!

One thing I learned very fast was that I had to figure out the best way to study, that worked for me. I tutor bio students, and the one problem they all have in common is that they have not figured out what works for them. That's usually the problem in most cases.

For me, I try to read assigned textbook chapters (or at least skim them) before class. Some teachers put up their lecture powerpoint slides; if they do so before class, I skim those too. That way, I can follow along in lecture without getting lost.
When it comes down to studying for exams, I go through my notes while also going through the appropriate part of the textbook. I don't do well in groups, so I try to avoid that. Usually when I study in a group, I come prepared to answer everyone else's questions; it's a good form of review for me. Reviewing past exams is also helpful, but often times, they are different from what your professor will give you for your exams. Therefore, they are good but should not be relied upon too heavily.

Time management is key like fuzzywuz said. Don't fall behind on assigned work/reading. Do a little bit of reading/studying everyday. Then review the next day to make sure you've internalized it. Good luck.