Any summer plans before school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asor

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that many of you have either received or are on the verge of receiving your acceptance notification--have you made any vacation plans before your P1 year starts? Traveling to Europe? :D Moving? :eek: Visiting family? :)

Members don't see this ad.

After this application-hell-interview year, I have spent all my money (a total interview wardrobe, app fees, plane ticket, hotels, PCAT exam) and several months of not working (because I was in application hell) - I am attending summer school so I can keep my job (I work on campus). But I'm taking Spanish I and II in two consecutive sessions. It's not Europe, but it'll be fun anyway. Especially since I don't care about the grades (but I'll do well anyway).

After taking full courseloads of pre-reqs for the last two summers, it'll be a vacation of sorts. I'm looking forward to a pressure-free summer.

Troy

Members don't see this ad :)
Asor said:
Now that many of you have either received or are on the verge of receiving your acceptance notification--have you made any vacation plans before your P1 year starts? Traveling to Europe? :D Moving? :eek: Visiting family? :)

Hey you! Long time no see (on SDN anyway :) )

I will be moving to Vegas and will be helping my parents and my sister (from Wisconsin) move there as well! :love:

I am also hoping to go back to Wisconsin and attend my Grandfather's 90th B-day and maybe squeeze in a short trip to Mexico (hoping to go back to Cancun, but will settle for Los Cobos.... ;))

Hope you are having fun fun fun at USN Asor! Thanks again for all of your guidance! You are almost done with P1! Yippie!!

Asor said:

It's pretty pathetic, but my fiance and I are just going to go a few hours north to Wisconsin for 3 or 4 days to camp in our pop up and hang out around a campfire. We are trying to save for a down payment for our first home together before pharm school starts.

I did all of my European backpacking when I was 18/19 years old. I think I am becoming domesticated and I have definitely entered a "nesting" phase lately. Would you like to see our new guest towels? ;)

Chris

going somewhere for fun??? sound great, but I can't..I'll be attending school (need to take 2 classes for NOVA), my summer schools will end Aug 2, after that, I'll be having orientation and NOVA starts on Aug 14...(so early, why???)....I'll continue working, hopefully to save some $$$$ before going to FL....But still :laugh: ...Maybe just hang out with some friends around Magnificent Mile (Chicago downtown) and go to pinics..Sound great enough?? :)

i'll be working, playing slowpitch, and getting married!!! our wedding is aug. 5th and orientation starts aug 14! so i guess our honeymoon will be my fiance helping me move to omaha :laugh:

ginephre said:
i'll be working, playing slowpitch, and getting married!!! our wedding is aug. 5th and orientation starts aug 14! so i guess our honeymoon will be my fiance helping me move to omaha :laugh:

Awww, congrats on the wedding!!! Hey, if you're moving after the wedding then your HUSBAND will be moving you to Omaha, lol. Happy Honeymooning! :love:

freshbeatschris said:
It's pretty pathetic, but my fiance and I are just going to go a few hours north to Wisconsin for 3 or 4 days to camp in our pop up and hang out around a campfire. We are trying to save for a down payment for our first home together before pharm school starts.

I did all of my European backpacking when I was 18/19 years old. I think I am becoming domesticated and I have definitely entered a "nesting" phase lately. Would you like to see our new guest towels? ;)

Chris

Wisconsin pathetic? Hey now.... that's my home your talkin about! :)
Are you going to the Dells area? Or by Kettle Moraine? Both are beautiful. I am from Waukesha (Saylesville, my namesake town) and I love to return there to really relax and just be me! A far stretch from the hussle and bussel of So. Cal... If I could only get past those winters :scared:

Call me boring, but I'll be working, and working some more. I have at least two weddings to attend but otherwise I have to move back in with the rents (super yuck) and try to make some money before I move across the country and become ultra poor! Well, hope all of you with exciting happenings enjoy them and your time off while before school starts!
astevens

I'm thinking about Japan/Taiwan, but I really want to go to Europe. This will be my first time visiting a different country. For those who have travelled out of country, how did you go about planning the trip? did you go on your own or go with a tour group (but I don't want to get stuck in a tour group unless they're in my age group). any advice will be appreciated :) .

Hey I'm Attending CCP..and applying to Temple as a Freshman. What should I do if i get in....Meaning what should i do in the summer...I work in a pharmacy not but what should id o to prepare..I did not..take the pcat yet...shopuld i take it if i get accpeted to temple...let me no [email protected] thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
sobelixer said:
I'm thinking about Japan/Taiwan, but I really want to go to Europe. This will be my first time visiting a different country. For those who have travelled out of country, how did you go about planning the trip? did you go on your own or go with a tour group (but I don't want to get stuck in a tour group unless they're in my age group). any advice will be appreciated :) .
If you've never been out of the country before then going with a gourp wouldnt be a bad thing. You should look into a summer abroad language program. Its a good way to go abroad without having to do a lot of planning and you'll be with people your age. If you want to do it on your own, then start with finding plane tickets and go from there. www.hostels.com or www.sta.com are good places to look for hostels to stay in.

On a side note, I think STA might offer tour groups for people in their 20' to early 30's. But you'd have to check their website for details on that.

sobelixer said:

When I was 16 I went on a trip to Italy, Monaco and the south of France for 2 weeks with a lady that was like 60.....She was very knowledgable about the history and culture of Europe and I felt that I really learned a lot from her.

We freelanced for 5 days in a rental car and we did little planning ahead of time. We just went to see the sights (museums, churches and other cultural sites.) and searched for a hotel or Inn when we wanted to rest. I ended up staying at the coolest little family owned hotels, like this converted lighthouse in Genoa, Italy.

It was all great and everything, but I was feeling a bit shall we say confined? We ended up joining a tour bus in Rome for 9 days and it was seriously one of the best experiences ever. There was a mix of people of all ages and cultures and I ended up making some great memories and life long friends..

Tours can be a great way to go, but I wouldn't limit yourself to a tour of only your age group (especially in Europe) because you will have plenty of fun and time with your peers, but the learning experience you will get from others that are not in your age group is truly priceless. It is something that I reflect on frequently and will cherish forever... :)

I'll be hula dancing in Hawaii! :p

It's not pathetic at all--at least you're getting out and about. I definitely can see why you're scratching Europe off the vacation list :D --trying to save for a house will definitley force you to save some.

I'd love to see the guest towels--are they personalized with a "C" :D

freshbeatschris said:

Chris

Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose. Definitley go out with the friends though--you need that.

futurepharm.d.? said:
going somewhere for fun??? sound great, but I can't..I'll be attending school (need to take 2 classes for NOVA), my summer schools will end Aug 2, after that, I'll be having orientation and NOVA starts on Aug 14...(so early, why???)....I'll continue working, hopefully to save some $$$$ before going to FL....But still :laugh: ...Maybe just hang out with some friends around Magnificent Mile (Chicago downtown) and go to pinics..Sound great enough?? :)

I'm going to Syria! I've already gone several times, but this will prob be the last time i'll get to go in a long time so i wanna enjoy it :)

Congratulations!!! You have such an exciting few months ahead of you. Where are you getting married?

ginephre said:

I'm soooo jealous. I was in Oahu a few years back and loved it--would do anything to go back. Have a geat time :D

flor said:
I'll be hula dancing in Hawaii! :p

I know, I know it has been a while since I've been on SDN--it sure is nice to get away from the books and visit the site.

OH MY GOSH... you are so blessed to have your family come out to Vegas--it's going to be such a huge help for you during P1. When is the big move out? Did you purchase a home yet? How exciting--so much going on for you. Let me know how I can help if you need it okay.

I may see you in Los Cabos--my hubby and I are thinking of heading out for a few days. I hope it all pans out.

If I don't see you in Mexico I'll definitley see you roaming the halls at school soon.

Asor :D

Smilescali said:
Hey you! Long time no see (on SDN anyway :) )

I will be moving to Vegas and will be helping my parents and my sister (from Wisconsin) move there as well! :love:

I am also hoping to go back to Wisconsin and attend my Grandfather's 90th B-day and maybe squeeze in a short trip to Mexico (hoping to go back to Cancun, but will settle for Los Cobos.... ;))

Hope you are having fun fun fun at USN Asor! Thanks again for all of your guidance! You are almost done with P1! Yippie!!

sobelixer said:

First time out of the US? I'd go to Latin America. It you really want an experience then go to Europe. My first time out of the US (besides Mexico) was to Holland. My wallet got stolen and I spent 24 hours in my hotel watching Dutch TV. It was awful - but so cool that I ended up moving there 6 months later. I stayed for 3 years.

If I were king, everyone would spend SOME time overseas. It was a great way to see how everyone else lives. And I started to really understand what it means to be American - good and bad.

Troy

thanks for the input! i've decided to visit europe with my sister and mom. we went to AAA over the weekend and brought back a ton of brochures =) so i got a lotta research and planning to do now.

sobelixer said:
thanks for the input! i've decided to visit europe with my sister and mom. we went to AAA over the weekend and brought back a ton of brochures =) so i got a lotta research and planning to do now.
Just going on making reservations, or things will get a lot more expensive.

Asor said:
Congratulations!!! You have such an exciting few months ahead of you. Where are you getting married?

thanks! we're getting married in littleton, colorado at an outdoor rose garden! i'm so excited but starting to get a little stressed since i've spent so much time on my pharm school stuff and not much on wedding planning!

I am going to Taiwan with my brother and my father (he has to be there on business, so we are tagging along). Should be a good time!! I can't wait to forget everything I've learned this year! :D

Littleton CO is beautiful--I visited some friends there many years ago and loved it.

Don't get stressed out--no need everything always seems to fall into place. Besides, if you can get through the hell of applying, interviewing and being accepted into a PharmD program--you'll be able to pull of your wedding no problem :D

Best of luck ginephre and enjoy every minute of it :luck:
Asor

ginephre said:
thanks! we're getting married in littleton, colorado at an outdoor rose garden! i'm so excited but starting to get a little stressed since i've spent so much time on my pharm school stuff and not much on wedding planning!

Let's see... third week of May I'm going up to D.C. for a concert, Memorial Day weekend I am going out to Tucson, Arizona with my fiance to visit my Dad, in June I'm going to Bonnaroo (for those of you that don't know, it's a huge music festival), then on July 1st I'm quitting my job at Walgreens and going to Europe for the month. When I get back, I'm sure I'll have a lot to do to get ready for school. Not having to move anywhere helps out though, thank God I got accepted to the Jacksonville campus. :love:

working up until august, taking a week off to move and just chill out, take a road trip for one week, and then school starts!

ehh i still have to give notice at work, the dilemna is when :) (while i look over my shoulder for my boss while posting away about this)

If I get into pharm school, I'll be moving home with my parents, and I'll try to find an internship somewhere for the summer (probably walgreens, i've heard they'll take anyone who's in pharm school) and save up some cash, i mean pay off all my debt from app fees and what not, and then save up a little cash before i head off. If I don't get in then I'll be stuck where I am for another semester, doing retakes, even though I'm getting my bs after this semester.

Asor said:
I know, I know it has been a while since I've been on SDN--it sure is nice to get away from the books and visit the site.

OH MY GOSH... you are so blessed to have your family come out to Vegas--it's going to be such a huge help for you during P1. When is the big move out? Did you purchase a home yet? How exciting--so much going on for you. Let me know how I can help if you need it okay.

I may see you in Los Cabos--my hubby and I are thinking of heading out for a few days. I hope it all pans out.

If I don't see you in Mexico I'll definitley see you roaming the halls at school soon.

Asor :D

I know I am so lucky that my family is ready to move out of Southern Cali. Perfect timing. We are moving out there in mid July and have already found renters for our house here in Carlsbad. I think we are going to rent a house in Henderson (initially anyway so we can see if we really would like to buy there). My parents are still undecided where to live(they want to be in a less crowded area) , but I am hoping it will be as close as possible to us.

We are going out there in May to hopefully decide on a place. I can't wait. :)

Have fun in Cabo! :)