Any test taking strategies for the reading comp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATMATT

SISU
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any test taking strategies for the reading comp? Do you read the passage or scan it so you have time to hunt down the answers? Do you read all the questions first?

I thought about reading the 1st 3-5 questions for each passage, read the passage and answer the 1st 3-5. Answer the rest after the passage is over. What works or worked for you? ANY SUGGESTIONS???

datMATT

Members don't see this ad.

At first, I tried the trick of skimming the paragraphs, writing down a short summary for each one....then answering the questions, and trying to track down the answer by matching the original question up with my "summary."

WELL I didn't end up doing it that way. I was usually scoring really high on Reading Comp that I actually didn't even study it for more than a couple hours TOTAL before the blessed event.

When I took the actual DAT, I ended up just reading the question, looking for key words in it, and matching those key words from the Q to words in the paragraph. Annoying, but it WORKED. I got a 22 in Reading Comp. In my opinion, those are the only two ways to do it. Don't even TRY to read/understand the passage...it's too difficult to comprehend in the allotted time. Just forget about it.

Not quite sure how this tests our reading ability, just our ability to find common words. My opinion!

I also didn't study at all for the reading section. Likewise, I matched key words in the questions with the passages. The entire section took 25-30 minutes (I've forgotten exactly) and I got a 24 on it!

In my opinion, this is the way to go!