Any thoughts on ferret legalization?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I don't know anything about legalising ferrets but its odd how there are local laws like that. Here in Australia you can keep a pet rabbit anywhere but Queensland.......
 
Not a vet. student, but I've never understood why they're illegal in some places (California, some counties in Texas). The domestic ferret is not a wild animal. Now that we have approved rabies vaccines for ferrets, they don't post much of a public health risk compared to other pets. And I don't buy the idea that they will escape and start a large feral population -- this doesn't happen in states where they are legal and if that was a criteria, cats would be illegal.

Of course when you have politicians making laws about stuff they don't know anything about, you're going to have some senseless laws.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a Vet student but ferret fan. Ferrets were illegal in Massachusets too and now they are legal. California should get in with the times. Ferrets are cool, smart and hip, not to mention potty trainable. The argument "they bite" is ridiculus. That argument can be made with just about most legal pets.
 
...not to mention that ferrets love to chill out in hammocks! legislators and ferrets have more in common than you'd think...
 
I completely agree. I am a Californian in Massachusetts for medical school. I went to the pound two years ago to get a small apartment-friendly dog and returned with three nice little ferrets. Now that it is time to rank residencies I am ranking California programs lower than I might have if I did not have ferrets. How completely ridiculous that such a stupid law is shaping my life!
 
I will likely stay in MA, but if for some reason I get a match in CA my ferrets are coming with me and will be part of the ferret underground in CA!
 
I will likely stay in MA, but if for some reason I get a match in CA my ferrets are coming with me and will be part of the ferret underground in CA!

Join the club!
I've had my share of bandits as roomates in the past! 😀
They're too addicting to give up...😍
Now we are legal.
 
How completely ridiculous that such a stupid law is shaping my life!

Pets are important. I've known a fair share of people that live in particular counties or even states far away from their work b/c said state/county where their job is doesn't allow pit bulls.

I think a ferret would be a lot easier to hide than a pit bull.

Does anyone know what the vets in CA do if a client brings in a ferret? I'm pretty sure a regular vet would treat them....all the clinics I've been at in areas where pits where banded never flinched about treating them...I guess though I'm speicifically curious about what Western and Davis do. Ferrets often will need treatment or surgery for adrenal tumors or insulinomas....if ferrets are illegal it might be harder to find vets that are proficient in the surgeries/treatment. I'd think a teaching hospital would want to be a little more CYA about what they do, so I'm wondering if they see them? Also, that sucks that students there interested in exotics wouldn't get to see many patients.

Anyone know?
 
I'm from California and the vets that I work for see ferrets all the time. We treat them like any other patient that comes in. We don't tell on the people who own them. We also do surgery on them. Most vets in California think ferrets should be legal.
 
I know here in CA petsmart sells Ferret food/equipment so... 🙄

obviously there is a market for them 👍
 
I think ferrets are still illegal in NYC as well, and we treat them all the time where I work.

NYC has (since I think it's still in effect) a laundry list of banned species, including Green Iguanas. I think the list also had some species of tortoises and turtles. Many veterinarians opposed the ban and sent letters to the NYC Dept. of Health, but I don't think the ban was ever overturned.