Any thoughts on Indiana School of Optometry??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielallen2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to the Indiana School of Optometry, Any thoughts on this school? I know that they have a very high % pass rate on their NEBO exams and they graduate almost 100% of the students they accept, I love Bloomington and it Indiana is amazing, but how does IU stack against schools such as ICO and SCO (two other schools that I have been accepted too) in terms of student expericance and program quality??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about ICO and IU but some schools are more research intensive while others are more clinic based.. SCO is definitely on the clinic end, although we do have a lot of ongoing research that students can participate in. I've only heard good things about IU, haven't heard much about ICO. We have a resident here currently who graduated from IU last year and she's awesome. It depends on where you want to live and how much you want to spend. For me SCO was a good choice because it's an excellent program, it doesn't get ridiculously cold here (weather was important to me, I hate the cold) and it's the most affordable. There are a lot of factors to consider. Good luck in your decision!!

I'm really considering IU. I think the location is great and from my research IU looks to be very research oriented which I think is exciting. I have an interview coming up there, do you have any tips/advice to help me with that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really considering IU. I think the location is great and from my research IU looks to be very research oriented which I think is exciting. I have an interview coming up there, do you have any tips/advice to help me with that?

Thanks!

I found the interview to be a great expericence. I had three interviewers, it was very laid back, and they ask the normal questions (why opto?, favorite class?, tell me about your self? etc....) The lunch and the round table discussion that followed the interview was really informative. I really enjoyed my expericance, hence why I chose IUSO. Just be your self, and you will do fine. Also Bloomington is really nice and the campus is really really beautiful which also made the decision alot easier!!!!

I have been accepted to the Indiana School of Optometry, Any thoughts on this school? I know that they have a very high % pass rate on their NEBO exams and they graduate almost 100% of the students they accept, I love Bloomington and it Indiana is amazing, but how does IU stack against schools such as ICO and SCO (two other schools that I have been accepted too) in terms of student expericance and program quality??

IU, Ohio State, and Berkley consistently rank in the top per some survey I don't recall :D. I think there are definitely advantages to attending a school connected to a large state university.

I believe ICO is overpriced and cranks out a ridiculous number of graduates. I'd compare the cost of IU and SCO.

I found the interview to be a great expericence. I had three interviewers, it was very laid back, and they ask the normal questions (why opto?, favorite class?, tell me about your self? etc....) The lunch and the round table discussion that followed the interview was really informative. I really enjoyed my expericance, hence why I chose IUSO. Just be your self, and you will do fine. Also Bloomington is really nice and the campus is really really beautiful which also made the decision alot easier!!!!

Thanks I appreciate it!

I believe ICO is overpriced and cranks out a ridiculous number of graduates.

Wow....I understand the dislike for the new schools, but give the established ones a break...;) I mean PCO will graduate a larger # of students than ICO.

Let's face it... they won't put a freeze on putting out new grads just to appease the practicing O.D.'s (though I think they should the second after I graduate! :laugh:)

Isn't this supposed to be a somewhat supportive forum? I know ODwire is out there, with some docs trying to beat the notion of going into optometry out of our heads. I know that some O.D.'s out there would encourage dentistry or pharmacy rather than let a pre-opt shadow. I suppose they have their reasons (many would say financial-self preservation).

Like it or not, we'll be out there. If we play our cards right, we'll practice in areas that can accommodate us. Not all of us will end up as corporate shills.

I am not trying to start a flame war, but I felt I had to speak up because I can't stand all the negativity going on on either board. We aren't out to dilute the earning potential. We aren't out to step on your toes. Give us a little more credit than that.

And before any O.D.'s accuse me of being a naive kid with pie-in-the-sky dreams of grandeur, let me give a little background on myself: I'm a non-trad older student. I have a B.S. in business admin. I have worked in the field for 23 years (longer than some practicing O.D.'s that post here) in many settings and in many capacities. I have been a business owner, an optician, a tech, and a DM. I'm not tooting my own horn, but I've been around the block (a few times more than I care to admit :D) and knowing what I know about the profession from the business end, I still decided to enter the profession because I know that there is more than enough room out there for us. Believe me, they'll cart me out feet first before I wear one of Wally's vests :thumbup:

We are reasonably intelligent people who have done quite a bit of research on many different fields of study, and yet we still decided on optometry. No field is perfect, and hey, maybe you guys believe you have our best interest at heart. Please realize that we are adults, but we by no means know it all.

To the practicing O.D.'s:

I guess what this rant is getting at is that we still value your advice and opinions. After all, you have the experience and expertise. I've been in this business long enough to know what I don't know. I will still ask your advice on certain matters. All I'm asking is that we try to be a bit more supportive. After all, you may be taking one of us on as an associate someday. You may end up selling your practice to one of us someday. You may even be a preceptor to some of us on rotations. We all know this is a small industry.

:thumbup: CAN"T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??? :thumbup:

I could be mistaken, but there are no optometry school rankings, right?

I toured indiana with our pre-optometry club. Joe Boes was really nice and accommodating. The classrooms and labs seemed small. Unfortunately the school was on a break so there were no students or faculty anywhere on campus so it gave a weird vibe. The only student was an opt 1 from ohio state (like us) and he seemed like he only went to indiana because they accepted him first. I wouldn't rule it out, but it wsn't my first choice.

The campus was nice, Jared's subway is right next the the school, and we saw a 2 squirrels push a third off a 2 story building (don't worry, he's ok). Those should be enough reasons to convince you to go there :)

The campus was nice, Jared's subway is right next the the school, and we saw a 2 squirrels push a third off a 2 story building (don't worry, he's ok). Those should be enough reasons to convince you to go there :)

Damn: I'm kicking myself, now, for not having applied — :smack:!