Any thoughts on mentioned Hospitalist Offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intentionalbalk12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the final stages of contract negotiation and wondering if I could get feedback on the below offer:

Rural Intermountain State, Open ICU Hospitalist position
- 120/hr for 24 hour shifts
- minimum of 10 of these per month
- can not do more than 5 in a row
- can go home at night, but covering admits
- Typical Floor Census: 9-12, ICU census: 1-3

- no RVU bonus, it's a straight salary
- 90k loan repayment
- 10k moving stipend
- 10k CME
- 10k sign bonus

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the final stages of contract negotiation and wondering if I could get feedback on the below offer:

- 90k loan repayment
- 10k moving stipend
- 10k CME
- 10k sign bonus

Is there an intensivists? Or they cover from away too?

The determining factor is always, how bad is it at night? And who covers codes, procedures when you’re not there….. how’s vacations assigned? You’re working 240 hrs a month. If nights are cush, you’re ahead, (I think). If it’s rough, then….. pay is not enough. 90 loan repayment, how’s that structured?

My standard disclaimer: Nights are okay when you’re young. Can be tough with family and when you’re old.

Reactions: 2 users

- 90k loan repayment
- 10k moving stipend
- 10k CME
- 10k sign bonus
What does "covering admits" mean?

Do you have to come back to the hospital to admit patients that are being admitted at night? Do they have an NP at night that might consult you on admit?

Sign on bonus should be 20k+ for any hospitalist gig.

I don't think these jobs where one has no subspecialties help worth it unless you are getting paid 450k+

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

- 90k loan repayment
- 10k moving stipend
- 10k CME
- 10k sign bonus
120/hr is kinda low for the work you're doing if there's no RVU bonus on top of it. I usually tell people to avoid positions that have no RVU bonus unless there's a hard patient census cap written in your contract. The typical census can fluctuate at any hospital for a wide variety of factors, and if it gets busy and the hospital doesn't add extra staffing, you may end up doing a lot more work with absolutely no extra pay. That census you're stating is actually kinda high if this is a hospital without much support from subspecialty services (and hence nearly all the workup and management falls on you). Also, 24 hr shifts can be rough, and the fact that this job is probably in an undesirable location (rural intermountain state) means they should be paying top dollar.

The loan payment and sign-on/moving bonuses are good but see how it's paid out (most places will prorate it if you leave before a specified time in your contract, but some places will require you to pay 100% of it back if you leave early). 10K CME is kinda overkill and they could probably move some of that money into the signon bonus.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know as much as others about job search but it seems like a low offer like others have said and additionally I'd prefer a position that didn't put you in a position where you have to go home but also cover admits. Wouldn't you want something more structured where there's an on/off time?