Any thoughts on MUSC-Charleston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Transformers

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any thoughts on MUSC?...considering a rotation here and would love to be in Charleston, but my only concern is the competitiveness of the program/application. It seems like they have traditionally been accepting 3 people, 1 from MUSC, and 2 non-MUSC people who are AOA studs. Heck it even takes a 250 minimum cutoff Step I score to rotate there.

-Does a rotation guarantee an interview?
-Do they like heavy research candidates?

Love the southeast, and ultimately, I'm debating between MUSC and two other lesser known programs (both which basically guarantee all its rotators interviews/have taken non-AOA candidates)

Thanks.
 
I didn't rotate there, but I did interview there and I am not from the region. I thought it was a very good program. It can only get better now that Dirk is taking over there.

Guess I can't be up too much help with regards to your other questions.
 
I rotated there and I can tell you that a rotation there does not guarantee and interview…I interviewed there, but I know someone who rotated there and did not get one. They recently changed chairs so this may have changed. I really don't remember much about the research but just to let you know, I had about 4 papers and a couple abstracts and posters
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed here in 2012. It was a fine program but a bit small for my taste. Not very academic from the feel and the residents did not seem like they had a lot of work to do or things to see. One of the wives told me that her husband, a resident at MUSC, rarely worked more than 30 hours a week. While this is appealing to some, it does make me wonder about exposure and culture. All the residents were also very, very, southern and white which to me is a huge turn off. Most also went into private practice. Depends on what you like. Any derm program is a good one.

One of my med school friends rotated here and did not get an interivew while I did not rotate and did.
 
I interviewed here in 2012. It was a fine program but a bit small for my taste. Not very academic from the feel and the residents did not seem like they had a lot of work to do or things to see. One of the wives told me that her husband, a resident at MUSC, rarely worked more than 30 hours a week. While this is appealing to some, it does make me wonder about exposure and culture. All the residents were also very, very, southern and white which to me is a huge turn off. Most also went into private practice. Depends on what you like. Any derm program is a good one.

One of my med school friends rotated here and did not get an interivew while I did not rotate and did.

Yes, there are few things worse than southern and white. Total yuckballz.

Anyway....

MUSC is a fine institution with some excellent faculty... and theee is precious little to not like about Charleston.