Any thoughts on UCLA vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INSTSIZEU

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope interview season is going well for everyone......I am just wondering what people out there think about these two programs....

I know UCSF has been discussed in other threads before, but I really would like to know how UCLA compares to UCSF in term of reputation and training? Right now, those 2 are some of my top choices and just want to see if anyone can provide more info.

Having gone on both interviews, I have to say that I was really impressed with UCSFand the training that the residents get at that institution. I could not detect a area of weakness in the training. The residents obviously work really hard but they did not seem unhappy.

As for UCLA, I know that it has a reputation as being a solid program but there seemed to be some areas of weakness in the training (ICU and regional).
So, I just want to know if anyone else felt the same way?

Anyways, I would really appreciate any input from anyone more familiar with these 2 programs....Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hope interview season is going well for everyone......I am just wondering what people out there think about these two programs....

I know UCSF has been discussed in other threads before, but I really would like to know how UCLA compares to UCSF in term of reputation and training? Right now, those 2 are some of my top choices and just want to see if anyone can provide more info.

Having gone on both interviews, I have to say that I was really impressed with UCSFand the training that the residents get at that institution. I could not detect a area of weakness in the training. The residents obviously work really hard but they did not seem unhappy.

As for UCLA, I know that it has a reputation as being a solid program but there seemed to be some areas of weakness in the training (ICU and regional).
So, I just want to know if anyone else felt the same way?

Anyways, I would really appreciate any input from anyone more familiar with these 2 programs....Thanks

Any thoughts?

I'm from the East Coast and did not apply to any West Coast programs at all for residencies, but my understanding is that UCSF has a much better reputation... FWIW