Any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lake04

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are the schools/programs of public health to avoid...meaning which have poor reputations?

Just wondering, thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hihi!

I would seriously advise you to avoid Dartmouth's program. It is a one-year program, which isn't really enough training in my opinion. Most of the people who go there are either already physicians, people who already have careers, or people who wanted to get into med school but failed and need a boost in their application. I honestly don't think many of them have a sincere interest in public health other than tacking on the degree as a stepping stone to something else, or to be used only in a secondary capacity to another degree. They only give you one class in each major subject area, and the internship takes place in the 3rd quarter (so you only get 2 full quarters of classes) - you learn very little when all is said and done. Truth be told, when fighting against other MPH graduates for jobs who have had the full 2 years, the best thing about Dartmouth is their name - but the lack of training you'll have compared to everyone else will show. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi!

I would seriously advise you to avoid Dartmouth's program. It is a one-year program, which isn't really enough training in my opinion. Most of the people who go there are either already physicians, people who already have careers, or people who wanted to get into med school but failed and need a boost in their application. I honestly don't think many of them have a sincere interest in public health other than tacking on the degree as a stepping stone to something else, or to be used only in a secondary capacity to another degree. They only give you one class in each major subject area, and the internship takes place in the 3rd quarter (so you only get 2 full quarters of classes) - you learn very little when all is said and done. Truth be told, when fighting against other MPH graduates for jobs who have had the full 2 years, the best thing about Dartmouth is their name - but the lack of training you'll have compared to everyone else will show. I hope this helps.

I beg to differ!! Since I am considering going to Dartmouth, I have thoroughly researched the school, including visiting there. And believe me at first, I was hesistant--but their program has a lot more to offer than you think. I've spoken with a current MPH student and a 2004 MPH graduate. From all the information I have gathered, although their program is only 9 months--it is that way b/c they are on the quarter system AND their classes meet for many more hours during the week than classes at a 2-yr MPH program. So your just spending more time in class. As for taking limited classes--thats not true either! Each quarter you are required to take certain classes, but you can add courses beyond that and take as many classes as can fit into your schedule (wihout having to pay extra $$ since after 3 classes, tuition is the same whether you take 3, 4, or 5 classes) This totally differs from other MPH programs that charge PER credit hr, regardless of how many hrs you take. I am someone who is going to get an MPH to actually pursue a career in PH, not use it as a springboard for med. school. And since I have been deciding btw. Emory's Epi program and Dartmouth's program--I have found that they both are unique in their own ways. Dartmouth's classes are a decent size, there is a lot of interaction with the professors, and having a "general" MPH in my opinion is great for someone who is not "sure" of which area in PH they want to pursue. I do admit there are doctors and many aspiring doctors in the program, but its all about how you use the degree to your advantage. And if I do go there, I plan on taking advantage of the program to find what "interests" me, since I'm not so sure any one area could satisfy what I am looking for in an MPH program. So in my opinion--there is a lot more to Dartmouth's MPH program than you may think. Don't let the shorter time span of the program fool you into thinking otherwise.

AtlChic said:
I beg to differ!! Since I am considering going to Dartmouth, I have thoroughly researched the school, including visiting there. And believe me at first, I was hesistant--but their program has a lot more to offer than you think. I've spoken with a current MPH student and a 2004 MPH graduate. From all the information I have gathered, although their program is only 9 months--it is that way b/c they are on the quarter system AND their classes meet for many more hours during the week than classes at a 2-yr MPH program. So your just spending more time in class. As for taking limited classes--thats not true either! Each quarter you are required to take certain classes, but you can add courses beyond that and take as many classes as can fit into your schedule (wihout having to pay extra $$ since after 3 classes, tuition is the same whether you take 3, 4, or 5 classes) This totally differs from other MPH programs that charge PER credit hr, regardless of how many hrs you take. I am someone who is going to get an MPH to actually pursue a career in PH, not use it as a springboard for med. school. And since I have been deciding btw. Emory's Epi program and Dartmouth's program--I have found that they both are unique in their own ways. Dartmouth's classes are a decent size, there is a lot of interaction with the professors, and having a "general" MPH in my opinion is great for someone who is not "sure" of which area in PH they want to pursue. I do admit there are doctors and many aspiring doctors in the program, but its all about how you use the degree to your advantage. And if I do go there, I plan on taking advantage of the program to find what "interests" me, since I'm not so sure any one area could satisfy what I am looking for in an MPH program. So in my opinion--there is a lot more to Dartmouth's MPH program than you may think. Don't let the shorter time span of the program fool you into thinking otherwise.

Coming from a management perspective, I have to disagree with what you said. I looked very carefully at Dartmouth's program, and they only require ONE class in healthcare management. They don't even really have any others in the same specific field. Compared to Michigan where I'll get 60 units of that stuff, there's absolutely no comparison. They don't have anywhere near the selection of courses available compared to a full school of public health, and one course does not equate with 60 units no matter how often you are in class.

Also, some other schools are on the quarter system but still have 2 years (UCLA being one of them). I think if you're unsure about your field of public health, Dartmouth's program might be ok - but for me who is solidly interested in management, there is no contest whatsoever.

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Coming from a management perspective, I have to disagree with what you said. I looked very carefully at Dartmouth's program, and they only require ONE class in healthcare management. They don't even really have any others in the same specific field. Compared to Michigan where I'll get 60 units of that stuff, there's absolutely no comparison. They don't have anywhere near the selection of courses available compared to a full school of public health, and one course does not equate with 60 units no matter how often you are in class.

Also, some other schools are on the quarter system but still have 2 years (UCLA being one of them). I think if you're unsure about your field of public health, Dartmouth's program might be ok - but for me who is solidly interested in management, there is no contest whatsoever.

Agreed--I've been noticing your posts as being very geared towards "management". So yes, if you or anyone else has a "particular area" of focus then Dartmouth is not the right program for you. But if your looking for something general, and in PH, and are probably going to add on another degree sometime in the future (MD, Phd, DrPH, MBA) then Dartmouth's program is right for you.