Any tips for a first time moonlighter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cewnb5

Reaction score
My friend found a company offering her $130/hour as a first time moonlighter. Nice place in Iowa and everything seems legit. Is there anything she needs to think of or ask?

Members don't see this ad.

My friend found a company offering her $130/hour as a first time moonlighter. Nice place in Iowa and everything seems legit. Is there anything she needs to think of or ask?

Doing what? Malpractice? Does her hospital know? Do they need to know? Does she has full license?

But mostly, make sure it’s okay with the hospital/residency.

Reactions: 1 user

Make sure they pay for malpractice AND malpractice tail coverage.

Do they help with getting her an Iowa license or DEA? Will they help with expediting getting hospital privileges?

If resident, does she have permission from her PD?

If she is working real job, will her work allow it? does her current work contract say anything about them taking a portion of her locum income. Some work contracts have stipulation that any income (including locum) you get from patient care has to go to your overall collections silo. It’s a slimy way for private groups to shave that income into the group overhead.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is language of a contract that I saw when looking at jobs:

"Fees and Medical Practice: All fees arising from or out of Physician’s
practice of medicine while employed hereunder (“Fees”) shall be the sole property of Company.
Physician agrees to remit to Company any such Fees received by Physician. Fees shall include
all income received by Company or by Physician relating to or arising from Physician’s status as
a physician or as an employee of Company, with the exception of Compensation paid to
Physician hereunder."

This would probably be better suited for residency forums since medical students have no idea about moonlighting policies.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone! I'll move this thread elsewhere next time. I sent her the link to the post. Fam med job. This helps!

If she's a resident, she needs PD and GME approval. She needs her own malpractice. For moonlighting, the doc typically covers it him or herself OR their residency malpractice sometimes covers it only within her scope of practice.

If attending, their current job's malpractice may cover it, but likely needs approval from boss. If your friend is an attending $130 is way too low especially for Iowa.

If she's a resident, she needs PD and GME approval. She needs her own malpractice. For moonlighting, the doc typically covers it him or herself OR their residency malpractice sometimes covers it only within her scope of practice.

If attending, their current job's malpractice may cover it, but likely needs approval from boss. If your friend is an attending $130 is way too low especially for Iowa.

Current work or residency malpractice will not cover it (unless it’s a moonlighting opportunity at your own training program.) Malpractice insurance is underwritten for the places you work at. Working at a new place will not be covered.

However, the legit locum or moonlighting agencies will provide malpractice and tail coverage + travel/lodging expenses. Don’t use one if they don’t.

Current work or residency malpractice will not cover it (unless it’s a moonlighting opportunity at your own training program.) Malpractice insurance is underwritten for the places you work at. Working at a new place will not be covered.

Depends on the company. I am covered for moonlighting work throughout my state (with clinics and hospitals unaffiliated with mine) as long as 80% of my total clinical work is at my own hospital.