Any tips on how to get better at presenting to attendings/writing notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lambda242

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anybody has any tips on how to improve presenting and note writing skills before going back on the wards. i've been in the lab for 3.5+ yrs now and realized that i just really suck at presenting to attendings and writing clinical notes (mostly because we weren't really taught how to do it during 2nd year) and would like to improve my skills before i go back on the wards next year so i don't look like a complete tool :scared: i just feel like i've become really disconnected from medicine and it all seems a little foreign to me.

Members don't see this ad.

This happens to pretty much everyone who comes back. I had 5 years away from clinics, and by the time I came back I had forgotten what SOAP stood for. I ended up not having any time to review prior to starting as I was writing a paper/thesis. And, I'm not sure it would have helped much. You'll be immersed in medicine, it'll start to come back and you'll pick things up quickly. Also, I found that people were pretty understanding if I didn't know things. They don't expect much of third year students in general, and when they find out you've been away from clinical medicine for so long they were generally understanding and helpful. Just go into it expecting to work hard and that you won't necessarily be as polished as your standard med school classmates and spend your time now focusing on getting your research finished.