Any tips on how to reduce test anxiety!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smitha7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the AAMC practice test 11 and made some really stupid mistakes on the PS section. I think this was do to my test anxiety. When I see a question I get really nervous and start to over think. Then my over thinking leads to stress which leads to more anxiety. However I had a good 10 minutes left over in the PS section. My test is on Jan 28th this Friday! Does anyone have any advice on how to remain calm during test!

Members don't see this ad.

Breathe.

Plain and simple. It's just a flippin' test. I know easier said than done. But it took me getting an 8 when I wrote the first time in PS, because I was so nervous.

Then I ended up with 11s in everything else. I'm ready this time around. My best advice is to just go in like it's any other practice test and DO IT TO IT

Study ad nauseam, with knowing details. If you truly understand something, then it is far easier to answer any question about a particular topic, calmly -- at least that's what I do. Plus, it's the MCAT, you can take it again. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh boy, clearly didn't get the point. It was to elucidate that you don't only have one shot at the test, thus relieving the innate sense of "do or die."

Of course you want to get your best score the first time, but he is trying to relax himself. Well done.

what I would suggest doing the night before for the test -> having a few beers and maybe popping some sleeping pills.

what I would suggest doing the night before for the test -> having a few beers and maybe popping some sleeping pills.

Ummm...yeah. I wouldn't do what this guy did. Drugs before an exam, never a good idea. Sleeping pills? Unless you are used to taking them, don't do it. The effects of sleeping pills, and their duration, vary from person to person. If it is your first time taking them, you run the risk of sleeping through your alarm or being unfocused throughout the entire exam.

I also have a lot of test anxiety. I haven't taken the MCAT, but I walk into pretty much all by exams very nervous. What works for me is to temporarily "forget" how important the exam is, and just let yourself get sucked into "thinking space." Time yourself and all, but don't allow yourself to think things like "Oh my god, I am taking the MCAT." Easier said than done, I understand. It took me a while to master this. Just treat the MCAT like any other assignment, and understand that you CAN do it. And yeah, no worries. You can always retake it. You want to do your best the first time around, but LOTS of people retake and get into med school. Good luck!

On a serious note = Just make sure to get at least 5 hours of sleep, whether you are nervous or not. If you dont sleep -> it can impact your score. Alcohol has been known to have calming effects, theres nothing wrong with having a few beers. However, do not mix this with sleeping pills (durrr).

I dont get nervous before tests, but for the mcat my anxiety was high. i felt absolutely terrible the whole test day and had a headache. but its one of those things you just have to get through... I did get my 6 hours of sleep in, took a tried and tested sleeping pill (didnt drink booze though ;)).

I thought i bombed the mcat verbal, but came out with a solid score.

Theres no point of pretending to treat the mcat like an assignment, because that just doesnt work. Either you can handle the stress, or you fall apart. On test day things can get worse, if you dont have a proper testing facility and a good spot to sit, you may end up getting screwed by external factors. In my room, there were 4 people sitting right near the entrance. People constantly walking in and out of the room distracted those 4 and im pretty sure they all bombed the mcat, and are retaking it again. Where I wrote the test, the guy next to me was not ready for the mcat at all - He started the test 30 minutes after I did, skipped the first two sections and ended up on the written before I finished verbal. The loud typing shook the table (it wasnt leveled) and distracted me. But I did not get angry and smash his face into the table, nope. I kept my cool and finished the test. I hope you all did your research on test location. I know this post might freak you out, but I say it like it is.

Last edited:
get some exercise. you will feel better. and do the things that make you happy. when you're happy you're less anxious. exercise will A) give you better quality sleep and B) release endorphins that make you happy and reduce stress.

you know what to expect, it will be difficult for everyone taking the test so calm down. it aint no thing but a chicken wing.

Theres no point of pretending to treat the mcat like an assignment, because that just doesnt work. Either you can handle the stress, or you fall apart. On test day things can get worse, if you dont have a proper testing facility and a good spot to sit, you may end up getting screwed by external factors. In my room, there were 4 people sitting right near the entrance. People constantly walking in and out of the room distracted those 4 and im pretty sure they all bombed the mcat, and are retaking it again. Where I wrote the test, the guy next to me was not ready for the mcat at all - He started the test 30 minutes after I did, skipped the first two sections and ended up on the written before I finished verbal. The loud typing shook the table (it wasnt leveled) and distracted me. But I did not get angry and smash his face into the table, nope. I kept my cool and finished the test. I hope you all did your research on test location. I know this post might freak you out, but I say it like it is.

Why "pretend" the MCAT is like any other test or assignment? Whose pretending? It IS just like any other assignment or test, and just like any other test or assignment, if you studied hard, scored well on practice exams, and got good sleep, there is no reason to panic. You need to recognize, if fear starts creeping in, that you CAN do it! You studied! You've gotten your target scores on practice exams! Thousands before have done it and survived and you can to! I don't mean to downplay the importance of the MCAT, but treating it like a life or death situation is kinda dumb. If you are practical, you'll look at it like any other task. Do what you gotta to to do well, and if you follow the plan, you'll succeed. If you don't, you'll fail. Simple as that.

As for "handling stress or falling apart," the ability to handle stress isn't innate. Sometimes, it takes practice, strategy, and will. And there is nothing wrong with asking for advice on learning how to handle stress. I used to have really bad test anxiety, and I still do at times. In spite of that, it is my junior year of college, I go to university, and I have had a 4.0 GPA since my freshman year of high school. I have anxiety, but I have a plan to handle it, a plan to study, and as a result, my anxiety doesn't define me. It doesn't have to define anyone.

Yes, you may get distracted by external factors. That's life, we all have to deal with it, but doing so is a matter of will. Even with distracters, you can do well if you can learn to enter, as I call it, the "thinking zone" and push away any other outside forces. Like I said, it does take practice. Learning to meditate also helps with this. If the distracters have a major impact on your testing, again, no need to panic. You can void the exam and re-take. For every and all problems, there is a solution!

I'm sorry, you were right... You truly are going to be a super doctor

It IS just like any other assignment or test, and just like any other test or assignment

The MCAT is not like another test or assignment.

As for "handling stress or falling apart," the ability to handle stress isn't innate.

It is innate, practice makes you better - only to a certain extent. I might not be good at handling stress, but doing all the aamc practice tests gave me a boost of confidence. Another thing I would suggest is writing a "mock" mcat.

I would say that you are going about this the right away. Hopefully you get good results, as I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freshman year in the dorms they had this seminar on reducing test anxiety. I went because the hot girl on our floor was going, si I didn't go in with the right attitude. About five minutes into it I was surprised how helpful it was. The key points were that anxiety is natural, and you have to use it to your advantage. I know it sounds weird, but he made a good point about stress being motivating. When you start getting nervous, catch yourself, take a deep breath, sit up straight, and then with the extra energy you have attack your exam. The important thing is that you have a routine you go through to get back to being focused.

It's helped me a ton on exams.

The MCAT is not like another test or assignment.

Yes, it is. I don't mean to argue that it is EXACTLY like other assignments or tests (Duh). Each test, or each exam, standardized or otherwise, has its own quirks, content focus, structure, etc. However, I believe that it is important to attack the MCAT the same way you would any other test, and in this respect, it IS like any other test or assignment: Figure out what will be tested, form a study plan, concentrate on any weaknesses, and practice, practice, practice until you are satisfied with how you are doing on practice problems or in this case, practice exams. Doing well on exams isn't rocket science, and especially in this day and age, with the nearly limitless resources available via internet, it really is a matter of work ethic, more than anything else, when it comes to doing well on exams, and in life in general. And forming a plan of attack, and sticking to it, will get you through any difficulty---MCATS, USMLE, and Beyound. So why waste precious time panicking over the MCAT when it can be overcome with a mere 3-4 months of intense study? In the long run, that is not that bad, so have confidence!

It is innate, practice makes you better - only to a certain extent.

Let me revise my previous statement. I am sure that, for some people, the ability to overcome anxiety is innate. But most people have anxiety on some level, and many need to form a strategy to overcome it. I don't mean to be rude, but isn't it rather presumptuous of you to assume that your experiences with anxiety apply to everyone else? If you are just a naturally calm person, then good for you. Here's a gold star. But not everyone is like you. And a lot of people do just fine without this innate ability. There is nothing wrong with someone posting a question about how to deal with anxiety, and seeking the support of this forum. If, for you, practice only does so much, fine. But in my experience, and in many others, practice, will, and strategy can completely eradicate the negative impact test anxiety can have on a test taker. For you, practice may only work "to a certain extent." For others, well...we make it all the way.

I suggest some corn, couple of cups of coffee, a few fiber one bars, and a couple of glasses of metamucil. :)

JustMeditate, you sound like you will have more trouble dealing with MCAT anxiety than most others. You should go ahead and write a "mock" mcat, look it up if you dont know what it is. It will definitely help you, its something I should have done. I plan to do a "mock" USMLE in the future. BTW thanks for the gold star :smuggrin:.

Yeah, I also think I'll have more MCAT anxiety than the majority of people, but my anxiety has never prevented me from doing well in the past, and I doubt it will in the future. I have a lot of test anxiety, but I am very good at handling it, and I'm sure that I will ace the MCAT, just like I've aced pretty much every other exam throughout my college career. As long as I study, study, study, of course!

And thanks for the suggestion. Mock MCATS are ALWAYS a good idea, and I think everyone should take a mock MCAT before taking the real one. It really does help to reduce test anxiety!:)

The key points were that anxiety is natural, and you have to use it to your advantage. I know it sounds weird, but he made a good point about stress being motivating. When you start getting nervous, catch yourself, take a deep breath, sit up straight, and then with the extra energy you have attack your exam. The important thing is that you have a routine you go through to get back to being focused.

It's helped me a ton on exams.

+1.. you have to attack the MCAT (or any other exam for that matter) and have confidence in yourself and your test preparation

So I took the AAMC practice test 11 and made some really stupid mistakes on the PS section. I think this was do to my test anxiety. When I see a question I get really nervous and start to over think. Then my over thinking leads to stress which leads to more anxiety. However I had a good 10 minutes left over in the PS section. My test is on Jan 28th this Friday! Does anyone have any advice on how to remain calm during test!

Hello Friend,
Staying clam is the key while giving an exam. It’s common that many things start running through our mind when we are in the examination hall. This results in tension and anxiety. So it’s nice to leave all your thoughts and doubts outside the examination hall with your bags and belongings. Enter the exam hall with a positive attitude. Following a proper time management technique would do wonders during an exam. I would suggest you to read this article http://www.way2k.com/relaxation_today_tip.aspx?subdomain=1 which gives tips and techniques to stay calm during an exam. You can also read other articles like “8 Ways to Improve Your Concentration”, “Four Relaxation Techniques During Exam” and many more. I wish you all the very best and hope that you score good marks during your exam.

:)Regards:)

Just wondering how it went? I have test anxiety that ranges from painful to horrendous. I once failed a test that I answered all of the questions correctly when I sat down afterwards in a loud dining hall and worked on it! The only technique that I have learned since is to stop and make myself look at the clock to realize it is not moving as quickly as my brain is telling me. This helps to an extent but I would like to hear if you tried anything that worked.http://www.way2k.com/relaxation_today_tip.aspx?subdomain=1

I am not sure some folks here understand that test anxiety can be completely separate from preparation. While lack of preparation can make it worse, over preparing will not make it go away for most people. It is something that needs to be dealt with under testing conditions. Simulating testing conditions can help you practice dealing with test anxiety. I am currently studying for the MCAT using EK and I am already dealing with the racing brain of a 'real test' situation during the lecture questions. Now is the time to start employing some techniques to make my head "slow down"...

I tried to follow http://www.way2k.com/relaxation_toda...px?subdomain=1 but it has been remove. I will try the progressive muscle relaxation but my fear is that since wasting time is an anxiety trigger in me, that might not be the best technique for me.

Just remember this, no matter what the clock says...even if it one minute left, you WILL finish in time.

Do the exam at your own pace and you'll finish. Try a practice AAMC you've ALREADY taken, take your time reading the info and figuring out why what answer is correct. You will see you will finish in time...it would build your confidence

This might seem a bit inappropriate, but if you have a significant other they can help you release some stress...

I completely agree with what andythunderbird said about exercise. After I began feeling a little test anxiety about a few weeks ago, I started running again (which I haven't really done since my cross-country days). Since then, I've noticed some dramatic improvement in how much energy I have throughout the day. I sleep better too.

I run about 3.1 miles every session (good ol' 5k). I go pretty hard in the paint, so maybe that's why its such an effective tension reliever. Anyway, I highly recommend people try it (at your own pace of course).

Good luck!