Any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting my child psychiatry rotation in a week and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for success. I have not done my general psychiatry rotation yet, so I don't entirely know what to expect as far as student responsibilities. My rotation includes inpatient C/L, CMH Family Guidance Service and outpatient facilities. I'd really like to nail this rotation! I"ve been reading a lot, but what advice do you guys have? Thanks! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Read up on your ADHD meds, and try not to become suicidal as you're bombarded with foster care incompetencies and social work nonsense.

;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be starting my child psychiatry rotation in a week and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for success. I have not done my general psychiatry rotation yet, so I don't entirely know what to expect as far as student responsibilities. My rotation includes inpatient C/L, CMH Family Guidance Service and outpatient facilities. I'd really like to nail this rotation! I"ve been reading a lot, but what advice do you guys have? Thanks! :biglove:

Is this a medschool rotation? If so dont worry about shining in the knowledge dept. be compassionate and enjoy your time there. You'll be fine.;)

I'd recommend reading up about metabolic side effects of antipsychotics (bad for adults, but every child psychiatrist is scared to death of making kids fat, for good reason), and pubmed for jack mclellan's AACAP pediatric bipolar treatment and diagnosis guidelines.

there isn't a lot of great literature about using atypicals for aggression management in kids (kiki chang has a few small papers, but I couldn't ever find any great reviews or anything), but that'd be a topic to explore as well.

for inpatient know everything you can about geodon, abilify, prozac, concerta, and clonidine. you'll get a lot of mileage out of just knowing those 5 meds ridiculously well. kids of course take everything adults do, but there's just less data out for them, so a smaller number of agents get used as first line. if you see a kid on paxil, lamictal, and zyprexa, either they've failed a lot of other agents, or their psychiatrist sees mostly adults, or their psychiatrist smokes crack.

and remember, even if she's a raging borderline now, she might not be when she's 18. unlike in the adult world, where your only hope is borderline burn out, kids actually have some unstable personality traits that sometimes actually get better.

Is this a medschool rotation? If so dont worry about shining in the knowledge dept. be compassionate and enjoy your time there. You'll be fine.;)

Yes, I'm a third year student. I'm pretty sure that I want to apply to this program, though. So, I would like to do well. I wish that I had been able to do a general psych rotation first, but my schedule didn't work out that way. I just finished my pediatrics rotation, so hopefully that will help! Although, the pediatricians that I worked with did a pretty poor job of handling their psych patients in general.

for inpatient know everything you can about geodon, abilify, prozac, concerta, and clonidine. you'll get a lot of mileage out of just knowing those 5 meds ridiculously well.

Thanks billypilgrim! I'll work on these.