1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Any truth to this??

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by Jessica, Apr 4, 2002.

  1. Jessica

    Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2001
    Messages:
    587
    Likes Received:
    0
    I recently spoke to the friend of a friend who is a 4th year at SF, and he said that the 5/15 "deadline" is a little flexible if you are still waiting on financial aid info. He was accepted to both SF and Harvard, and didn't give either school his final decision until mid-June. Apparently he called both schools and explained his situation, and they were not happy, but they did give him some extra time to decide. Does anyone know is this is common/acceptable?? I am still waiting to hear from either of the schools that I am considering, and I'd love to free up a spot for someone who is waiting, but I can't decide without knowing how much each school will cost me first. :mad: Any thoughts?
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Future GI Guy

    Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo....
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2001
    Messages:
    282
    Likes Received:
    3
    Jessica,

    It's been a while since I applied to med school, but I remember that summer before first year pretty well.

    My understanding of the 5/15 deadlines is that it's a deposit deadline. In other words, you get accepted (say in January) and have to make a deposit. If you pull your name out by 5/15, you get your deposit back. If you don't, you lose your deposit.

    It's a small price to pay when making such a crucial decision as where to go to medical school, but it can be large in some cases.

    For instance, the deposit at Mizzou (where I go) is something like 100 bucks. But up the road, at Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, the deposit is huge (like 2000.00 from what I've heard). Losing 100 bucks is one thing, but thousands is quite another.

    Anyway, you'll find there's a ton of movement off the wait list througout the summer, and there's only one way for that to occur. People have to be pulling their names off the roster after the may 15th deadline.

    Good luck.
     
  4. Astrid

    Astrid Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2002
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    0
    Actually, I dot think that's the case everywhere, b/c I just withdrew from a school and wasn't able to get my deposit back.
     
  5. Rezul

    Rezul Portuguese Momma
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2002
    Messages:
    84
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think that at some schools, if you are holding multiple acceptances after May 15, they will automatically assume that you are going to the other school. They withdraw your acceptance for you. I would call and ask the schools you are holding acceptances at and find out what their policy is for 5/15.
     
  6. Scooby Doo

    Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2001
    Messages:
    3,797
    Likes Received:
    1
    It is completely acceptable as long as you TELL BOTH schools you are holding acceptances at! Try to get it down to TWO schools.

    If you let them know, they will NOT MIND at all...just don't string them along until august :)
     
  7. trout

    trout Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2002
    Messages:
    384
    Likes Received:
    1
    I was under the impression if schools hadn't given you a financial aid package and you were waiting on that to make your decision you could hold more than one....so since I work at a medical school I walked to the admissions office and asked the director. She told me it is up to the individual schools, while they (our medical school) would allow someone to hold for that reason she is aware of some schools that say "no" so make sure you ask the school directly instead of guessing if it is going to be ok!
     

Share This Page