Any Walgreen's pharmacists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennay41

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that actually took the Walgreen's tuition assistance and/or signing bonus? I currently work at Walgreen's (about 7 months), I'll be starting pharmacy school at UIC this fall, and I'm considering doing this. However, I'd like advice from someone that has been through the process so I can decide If I really want to sell my soul to Walgreen's.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pharmacy practice resident with Walgreens and I'm in the process of taking a relocation bonus and I know alot of my friends went with Walgreens because they are the best in the industry for retail pharmacies. They have great benefits, great working environment and an excellent computer system. It depends on what district you go to but I found that as a whole Walgreens is really good to work for. alot of my friends are very happy with them. Plus if you decide its not right for you after taking the bonus, you can just pay it back...hope this helps

goodb29 said:
Plus if you decide its not right for you after taking the bonus, you can just pay it back...

But don't forget:

The bonus is taxed. So say you get a $15K sign-on, you might net ~ $9K.

If you pay it back, WAG expects the entire $15K, so you've got to come up w/ the extra $6K.

If you leave even a week before your commitment is up, WAG expects the entire balance back, w/ no pro-rating.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do they expect from you once you graduate?

n0estoy said:
what do they expect from you once you graduate?

According to their website, (if you're talking about graduating pharmacy school), they expect you to work for them for at least 2 years once you graduated from pharmacy school.

goodb29 said:
I am pharmacy practice resident with Walgreens and I'm in the process of taking a relocation bonus and I know alot of my friends went with Walgreens because they are the best in the industry for retail pharmacies. They have great benefits, great working environment and an excellent computer system. It depends on what district you go to but I found that as a whole Walgreens is really good to work for. alot of my friends are very happy with them. Plus if you decide its not right for you after taking the bonus, you can just pay it back...hope this helps

I am not so sure about the great working environment but I do agree they have an excellent computer system. In addition, all Walgreen's techs are nationally certified, so that is a plus.

You can sign a 1, 2, or 3 year contract depending on what part of the country you want to work in...Also, i think it is a far superior working environment for several reasons: great computer system makes your job alot easier (and alot safer for the patient to get the right medication), excellent tech support, as well as less stressful. Now im not saying that every store in the same, some are better than others, but you want to ask the district supervisor where you will be working, what the volume of the store is, a little about the other pharmacists/techs working there and what type of area the store will be in before you sign anything....I hope this helps

goodb29 said:
excellent tech support, as well as less stressful. Now im not saying that every store in the same, some are better than others, but you want to ask the district supervisor where you will be working, what the volume of the store is, a little about the other pharmacists/techs working there and what type of area the store will be in before you sign anything....I hope this helps

I know the pharmacists her in the Chicagoloand area have been complaining a lot about not enough techs working and even staged strike last summer. Walgreens offered to increase their salary 20% over 4 years I think (but didn't want to hire more techs)...and the "union" turned it down.

prairie42 said:
I am not so sure about the great working environment but I do agree they have an excellent computer system. In addition, all Walgreen's techs are nationally certified, so that is a plus.

Well, in CA, you don't need to be nationally certified to be a tech, so not all of techs are nationally certified in my store. By the way, I heard from one of floaters who had worked in several companies that Walgreens' retirement plans are one of the best.

I'm a tech at Walgreen's in Illinois and I think its nationwide company policy that we're required to get PTCB certified within a year of working there. For anyone else reading this that's a future or current pharmacy student and considering taking Walgreen's money, I ended up talking to my district pharmacy manager about the scholarships and time commitments. In my opinion 6 years of my life for a max of $15,000 not enough to cover a full year of expenses at an instate school, let alone out of state or private, is just not worth it. So maybe I'll work there for a couple years to knock out as much of my loans as I can. Also pharmacists actually have a union? I thought most retail pharmacies were opposed to unions.

Jennay41 said:
Also pharmacists actually have a union? I thought most retail pharmacies were opposed to unions.

That is why I put it in quotes. I think there is some kind of union that tried to organize the strike. However a lot of pharmacists went against it and worked anyways...so it really isn't a useful union is the members don't act as a group.

Of course retail chains would be opposed to unions...for the same reason Wal-mart is.

In CA, there are three ways to become a tech; through the PTCB TEST, some sort of schooling(AA degree or private institute) or training by federal armed service. I haven't checked the company policy with pharmacy manager, but a couple of techs in my store are licensed via schooling but not PTCB certified. They have worked for more than two years and they haven't been asked to take the test. However, if they pass the test, they get some raise though. I don't think it is a nationwide company policy since each state has different ways to be licensed.

Jennay41 said:
I'm a tech at Walgreen's in Illinois and I think its nationwide company policy that we're required to get PTCB certified within a year of working there. For anyone else reading this that's a future or current pharmacy student and considering taking Walgreen's money, I ended up talking to my district pharmacy manager about the scholarships and time commitments. In my opinion 6 years of my life for a max of $15,000 not enough to cover a full year of expenses at an instate school, let alone out of state or private, is just not worth it. So maybe I'll work there for a couple years to knock out as much of my loans as I can. Also pharmacists actually have a union? I thought most retail pharmacies were opposed to unions.

insipid1979 said:
That is why I put it in quotes. I think there is some kind of union that tried to organize the strike. However a lot of pharmacists went against it and worked anyways...so it really isn't a useful union is the members don't act as a group.

Of course retail chains would be opposed to unions...for the same reason Wal-mart is.

Yeah I knew Wal-Mart was. Did anyone else see that Wal-Mart documentary "The high cost of low prices." They really ripped Wal-Mart a new one. Walgreens sucks sometimes, and it might only be a matter of time before someone makes a documentary about the, but it made me really glad that I don't work at the Wal-Mart down the street from us, even though their pharmacy closes for "lunch hour" and they only do like 100 or so scripts a day.

OK, so myself being a freshman at UA, getting my prereqs done for Pharm school, say next year I want to get a tech job at Walgreens (which I would love to do for obvious reasons, my current job is a typical college food service job). How does one go about getting certified for a tech job? Do I have to be a tech to work at the pharmacy? I'm pretty clueless about this, will someone explain it to a n00b? Thanks so much.

Mongoos150 said:
OK, so myself being a freshman at UA, getting my prereqs done for Pharm school, say next year I want to get a tech job at Walgreens (which I would love to do for obvious reasons, my current job is a typical college food service job). How does one go about getting certified for a tech job? Do I have to be a tech to work at the pharmacy? I'm pretty clueless about this, will someone explain it to a n00b? Thanks so much.

First, you don't use the word "n00b"

That's a dismissal right there. :smuggrin:

Second it depends on the state you're from. I'm not familiar w/ Arizona, but reqs can range from requiring 1000+ hours before you can apply for state certification (NV) to just sending in 40 bucks (IL). Check w/ your local Department of Professional Regulation or Pharmacy Practice Board.

Or maybe someone at UA COP can clear things up.

But definately, nix the word "n00b" from your vocabular ASAP. ;)

Hi, i'm about to start pharmacy school in northern california (UOP). I'm going to try gettinga summer job at a walgreens since there are so many near my home (los angeles)...i dont know whether or not this is a good idea...i mean, would it be easy for me to get a job as an intern if i start working for walgreens in the summer? i guess i'm just scared that i wont be able to find a job as an intern....

nikkai said:
to just sending in 40 bucks (IL).

That is just for the pharmacy license. Not to be certified.