-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any way to do DECMIAL LOGARITHMS in your head?
Started by DrTacoElf
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
When given a 0.0225 M H+ and you need to calculate the pH, I find it easiest to rewrite the concentration as 2.25 x 10^-2 and then rewrite the equation like this:
-log(0.0225) = -log(2.25 x 10^-2) = -(-2 + log 2.25)
log 2.25 is roughly 0, because you know the log 10 = 1, log 100 = 2, log 1000 = 3, etc.
So you can guesstimate the pH to be about 2 (The exact answer is 1.65). This is sufficient for the DAT. In no way are you expected to know what the log (0.0225) is.
Another example: [H+] = 0.0011 M
-log (0.0011) = -log (1.1 x 10^-3) = -(-3 + log 1.1)
pH ~ 3.
exact = 2.95
Hope that helps you out!
drat
-log(0.0225) = -log(2.25 x 10^-2) = -(-2 + log 2.25)
log 2.25 is roughly 0, because you know the log 10 = 1, log 100 = 2, log 1000 = 3, etc.
So you can guesstimate the pH to be about 2 (The exact answer is 1.65). This is sufficient for the DAT. In no way are you expected to know what the log (0.0225) is.
Another example: [H+] = 0.0011 M
-log (0.0011) = -log (1.1 x 10^-3) = -(-3 + log 1.1)
pH ~ 3.
exact = 2.95
Hope that helps you out!
drat
drat,
That was excellent and very informative!!! Now I know how to do it in my head too.
DrTacoElf,
FYI, this type of calculation isn't need for the DAT. It might be coming up in some of your problem sets, like in the Kaplan material, but from my experience (and from what I've heard), I have never seen a problem that required you calculate out logarthims (either base 10 or natural).
That was excellent and very informative!!! Now I know how to do it in my head too.
DrTacoElf,
FYI, this type of calculation isn't need for the DAT. It might be coming up in some of your problem sets, like in the Kaplan material, but from my experience (and from what I've heard), I have never seen a problem that required you calculate out logarthims (either base 10 or natural).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DrTacoElf said:what kinda trigonometry stuff?
how in depth?
It is essential to know the values of Cos, Sin, Tan, Cot, Cosec, sec for 0,30,60, and 90 degees. This is very easily remembered in chart form.
drat said:HBomb, I'm going to have to disagree! *wink, wink* I encountered pH problems on the DAT.
drat
Glad this post helped you guys out.
Just to clarify (sorry for being vague before)...I didn't mean to say that pH problems or log or ln problems won't be on the DAT, I meant to say that I didn't think you would have to convert a log or ln to decimal.
HBomb said:Just to clarify (sorry for being vague before)...I didn't mean to say that pH problems or log or ln problems won't be on the DAT, I meant to say that I didn't think you would have to convert a log or ln to decimal.
But you may have to convert a pH to a decimal concentration.
Maybe others can help out here and clarify...but when I took my actual DAT, I did not have to convert any type of log to decimal...the answers were all left in log format. I do remember having to do some of that on the Kaplan material but not on the actual DAT. Not that it's not a good thing to know because it definitely is...and your approach seemed very easy to apply!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 311