anybody been sent a warm'n'fuzzy message

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndyDufrane

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody,
I was just talking to a couple of my classmates in different fields(Derm, IM) and their showing me and telling me about these gushing emails from programs telling them how much they love them etc. and a week before I am to submitt my rank list, not a peep out of the programs I interviewed at and wrote nice letters to, I even wrote my top 2 emails about how I was still interested and thought highly of the program, what gives, should I start thinking about placing one of my prelim as a back up?😕
 
Hi everybody,
I was just talking to a couple of my classmates in different fields(Derm, IM) and their showing me and telling me about these gushing emails from programs telling them how much they love them etc. and a week before I am to submitt my rank list, not a peep out of the programs I interviewed at and wrote nice letters to, I even wrote my top 2 emails about how I was still interested and thought highly of the program, what gives, should I start thinking about placing one of my prelim as a back up?😕

Depends on which programs/PDs you are talking about - I got NO indication from RIC and matched there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i dunno if this is true in general, but from what ive seen and heard, rehab folks just dont do that much heavy recruiting. I could be wrong. Horribly horribly wrong.
 
I really think it depends on the program. I have gotten warm n' fuzzy notes from 2 programs. After I told my top program I was ranking them #1, they sent me a warm n' fuzzy note. A buddy of mine applying for PM n' R has gotten a few notes from programs I did not apply to. I think it happens but it varies from program to program. I wouldn't assume that not hearing from people is bad news.
 
no warm n' fuzzy notes here. two of them have already ranked their applicants a week or two ago (East Carolina and LSU)...don't know about the others. warm n' fuzzy would be nice, but it's also possibly just a bunch of crap. one PGY2 at a PM&R program i interviewed at said the San Antonio program was sending him tons of warm n' fuzzies and even housing lists and the sort, but still didn't rank him high enough. so you just never can tell. but it would be nice to hear if people have gotten nice "we want you" letters from any PM&R programs
 
i dunno if this is true in general, but from what ive seen and heard, rehab folks just dont do that much heavy recruiting. I could be wrong. Horribly horribly wrong.

I got notes/postcards/calls/emails from about 5 programs, 2-3 told me to tell them if I decide to rank them high (hint hint) during my interview day, and 3-4 programs gave me NO indication whatsoever. I don't want to name the programs but I think it really depends on the PD. Some programs really care how low they go on the rank list and others want to respect the integrity of the match. I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard. The fact that you got interviews mean you look good on paper to them and as long as you didn't screw up terribly during the interviews, you'll be fine. And even if you THINK you screwed up, you may not have - I really thought I screwed up my interviews at RIC but still matched. When I tell the story about my interview day, ppl wonder how I still matched at RIC. It was that bad. :laugh:
 
no notes of interest here either but I know most mof MY top programs do follow the integrity of the match as I rotated through them!
 
I've gotten a few e-mails and a few phone calls, some more explicit than others. Two programs said they really thought I would fit well in their programs and hoped that I would consider ranking them highly...pretty generic I thought. Three others told me they thought I would be very likely (wink wink) to match there if I ranked them highly. There are also some programs I haven't heard anything from, even after telling them they were amongst my favorites. At my RIC interview Dr. Sliwa specifically said not to expect to hear anything from them and not to take that as them being disinterested. So, basically I think it really depends on the program and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I guess it's nice to get an e-mail or phone call, but who knows how much significance you can really put into them. Oh well. Good luck to everyone!
 
I heard back from 5 or 6 programs, but of those only one hand written note from the PD + a typed personalized letter from an attending + a general thank you letter... wish EVERY program did that! 😉 It gave me the warm-fuzzies lol!
 
I've heard back from some programs throughout the interview process, but only got an extra "boost" of those "Hi, we liked meeting you, have any questions?, hope you think of us highly on feb 20th!" messages from a few programs. I'm not too phased by who sent things and who didn't. That stuff can only confuse what I've already hashed out in my mind (and in excel and on scrap paper and bar napkins...ok maybe not that last one) 😉
 
I got a few warm-fuzzies. It started with the xmas cards...lol. Both of my top choices sent me one. Yes..I am still deciding between two. I'm just plain stuck at this point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AndyDufrane, remember that hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and I am hoping the best for you and all the rest of us whether we got warm'n'fuzzies or not!
 
laugh qd, you are on mark with hope, I guess the pre rank list submission deadline period and making the final adjustments of the list caused me to get a little more anxious then I needed to be, thanks
 
even if they don't truly mean anything, it's still pretty nice to get a few more warm'n'fuzzies from my #1 today 😍

to be honest, it almost makes me more nervous... maybe this is what it would feel like to be on The Bachelor awaiting the results of the rose ceremony! :scared:
 
just got some warm n' fuzzies from Marianjoy today. it was very generic and was probably a mass eras "mailing" but it was still great to receive. it's good to get a little love every so often.
 
Warm and fuzzies mean different things to different programs. Stop worrying about it, everyone. You'll drive yourself nuts. 😀