Anybody decide to go in2 Radar late????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flintblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, this isn't another "I got a 280 and all honors, do you think I have a chance thread."

I'm a 4th year who up until recently was totally uncertain what I wanted to do a career. I thought I wanted to medicine or ER, but didn't really get the feel for it when I did my rotations. I just decided to go into Rads. I never really gave it much thought before this year, but I totally fell in love with it during my 4th year elective. Radar has all the aspects I love of medicine without all the ones I don't like as much. I'm an average student w/ decent Step 1 (231). Again, this isn't a do I have a chance post. I just want to know who else out there decided late that they wanted to do rads and what they did to make it happen. It seems like all the other students in my class that want to do radar have gotten to know the staff the past few years and have done some research. I know time is getting scarce and apps are due soon. Any advice is helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

You still have a chance, but you'll have to convince programs that you're serious about radiology. You'll want to be absolutely certain of this too... to make sure that you're still a fan of rads after the novelty has worn off.

You might be a little behind the eight ball in terms of getting good letters from radiologists and research experience... especially considering your ERAS application is realistically due in early September.

So... you're fighting an uphill battle for this year's match, but you still have a fair shot. If you're shooting for a blue chip program, you'd be well advised to take a year off to strengthen your application.

Good luck!

doepug
(PGY2 / rads)

flintblack said:
First off, this isn't another "I got a 280 and all honors, do you think I have a chance thread."

I'm a 4th year who up until recently was totally uncertain what I wanted to do a career. I thought I wanted to medicine or ER, but didn't really get the feel for it when I did my rotations. I just decided to go into Rads. I never really gave it much thought before this year, but I totally fell in love with it during my 4th year elective. Radar has all the aspects I love of medicine without all the ones I don't like as much. I'm an average student w/ decent Step 1 (231). Again, this isn't a do I have a chance post. I just want to know who else out there decided late that they wanted to do rads and what they did to make it happen. It seems like all the other students in my class that want to do radar have gotten to know the staff the past few years and have done some research. I know time is getting scarce and apps are due soon. Any advice is helpful.

Dr. Cuts said:
Good choice. One word of advice though if I may... stop calling it "radar"

:rolleyes:

LMAO

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew quite a few people who decided relatively late to go into radiology. I think you still have time if you can get an elective this month. People have gotten good residencies without even taking a radiology month until Jan/Feb/March. As stated ealier, it would be important to get a LOR from your PD/chairman before Nov. You can use good ED/surgery/med letters to supplement.

Radiology is a changing field. Be sure to talk to your PD, and current residents. These are the guys that will be able to tell you how it really is.

That being said, I know quite a few people changing after 1-3 years of residency in surgery to rads. I've even given it a thought. It can be done even after a year of residency.

Good luck.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

The first step would be to stop calling it radar so you don't seem like an idiot.

OK guys, I get the point. The word Radar is wiped from my vovacbulary. I don't want this to turn into a flame session about using the "R" word. I just want to know if anyone else decided to go into RADIOLOGY after starting 4th year, and if they had any problems trying to get letters, getting thier apps done ect. Thanks