anybody find the EK Verbal question stem technique to be useless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can see in their verbal manual how they came up with the answers. But in many of the passages we read, the question stems are often short or just ask you about details from the passage. What does everyone think because i don't know if I should continue using this method. I mean, when are you going to use it on the exam anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually find it very useful. You can find most of the answers from the question alone, without even having a passage.

how can you possibly use it? Can you provide an example, like using passage #1 from EXAM 1 in the Verbal Exam krackers book. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep using it, keep practicing. Remember, it is a supplement to help you get more points out of the verbal section. You still have to read the passage.

You are going to use it on the real MCAT when your brain is exhausted and you can't even think straight on the verbal section because the passages are so hard, and you are desperately looking for any extra information that will help you answer those questions.

On some questions, it will be less useful than others. For example, q.1 on passage I of exam 1 is one example of a not-very-helpful question stem. But, there is still a clue there: ..."in the sense of..." immediately tells you that asphalt is probably wrong, and stick is probably wrong. Then you can go back and check the line and the answer is obvious.

The whole idea of this technique is that there's a lot of information in the question stems, and that if you don't take advantage of that, you are throwing away potentially useful information.

good luck!

I find the stem technique helpful but do not alway see each tidbit the book extracts.

Overall, their approach to VR suits my style better than other methods I've tried. The one on SDN about cherry picking passages and scanning the some passages really didn't help me. Just trying not to underline and not looking back improved my scaled score by 1 pt from previous test. My comfort level is much better and reading is more focused, less distractions.

I look forward to more EK VR studying. So far so good.