1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

anybody getting nervous about fall?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by LITTLED, May 5, 2004.

1. LITTLED

10+ Year Member

Is anybody getting nervous about going to dental school in the fall?
    Right now I feel like its the calm before the storm. I stop work at the end of the month and then its going to be moving back east, housing, fin. aid, cold weather and an onslaught of things. I'm worried about failing out, loans, meeting new people in a new city, missing my family in CA, pretty much you name it. I do vaguely remember getting anxious before undergrad, but not this early! Anyone else nervous? :confused:

2. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I'm a little freaked about next year, but I figure everyone else is in my boat.

3. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

IT's alright to be a bit nervous but LittleD, just sit down take a deep breath and think about what it is that you are really nervous about? I mean bills to pay, family, moving etc, that kinda thing is part of life. Throughout your life you will have all that. Just relax, you've already made it this far so just take it as it comes. I'm sure you'll be fine. Right now should be a happy time! Summer, you got into dental school, save the worrying for later. Right now just enjoy the moment. If you spend all that time worrying you'll just continue to worry throughout life and won't enjoy anything.

I know this because I was worried so much during most of my undergrad that I didn't enjoy it one bit. So just enjoy the moment because sometimes these moments only come once.

4. xc1999

xc1999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Littled,

actually, when you get to the east coast, the weather will still be quite warm and humid as well. Um....depending on where you're going in the east coast, it doesn't really get cold until sometime in November. Also depending on where you are, the weather change can be abrupt or gradual. I'm in the philly area right now, and the weather here isn't as bad as I thought. The only thing I don't like though is that we have very abrupt weather changes, whereas in places like New york (where the water is nearby to help temper the weather a bit), weather change is a bit more gradual. Boston i've heard is pretty damn cold; it's usually like 10 degrees colder than here in philly. Just out of curiosity, which school are you going to?

Anyhow, I wouldn't fret about it too much. I think as long as you get here well before school starts, your adjustment should be fine. I must say though that fall weather her is a heck of a lot better than in CA. That is if you like that cold yet sunny type weather :)

Hope your adjustment goes well, and good luck :)

5. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think the thing I should feel nervous is the course work, especially for those who are not bio major and do not take anatomy, biochem, and physiology in undergraduage. Maybe most of the classmates who have taken these courses would do better than the rest. It is too late to say this, but it makes me nervous. :D

6. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    You'll be fine. Dental school isn't at all like you think it is. Regardless of the school, you'll find that there is a lot of politics at play, along with other nasty things.

Before school I envisioned a bunch of science nerds having deep conversations regarding the latest technologies and their applications to the oral mucosa.

Dental school couldn't be further from the truth. While you may not have the undergraduate knowledge that SOME of your peers do, you'll still do just fine.

To get As you'll probably have to work your hind end off and perhaps have no life. But to just do well I think you'll find it's easier than undergrad.

7. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks, Gavin. As the survey in the forum before, there are around 42% of future dental students, based on 107 replies, who are not bio or related majors. Your answer gives me bright side toward the dental school, so do others, I believe. :thumbup:

8. xc1999

xc1999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Actually, I was a bio major in undergrad, and though it does help a bit,there's just so much more info that there throw out you in your basic science courses that they never covered in undergrad! You may be at a disadvantage, but pretty much if you keep up with your work, you'll probably be doing better than the bio majors who are just slacking.

9. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

I heard lots of horror stories about med school/dental school freshman year with all the heavy-hitter courses (gross, histo, etc.) and I was very nervous during Orientation Week. Then I thought to myself: My sisters both went through those no problems. If they can do it, so can I! (otherwise I'd become the laughingstock of my family.) :D

Well, four years later, here I am..

10. politicallyRite

7+ Year Member

it has to be nervous...if i failed out, the first thing i would do is file for chapter 11.

11. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Tom, were you the bio major in undergraduate? I think you should be because if I don't remember wrong, you have master's degree in Biology?
    Sorry, I don't quite understand your post. Did you take gross, biochem, or physiology in undergraduate?

12. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, I'm a bio major... But molecular bio is my forte-- Two years of research in transcription mechanisms of orthomyxoviruses (influenza), another year of research in Drosophila genetics. All of my upper-level bio courses are in either genetics, virology or seminars on recombinant DNA topics. Much of which I never had use for in dental school, and I'm not going to specialize so I wasn't going to kill myself doing research on top of an already heavy dental school workload. :D :D :D

I've never taken anything like Gross or Physiology during my time in undergrad or grad school.

It all started in high school with the Westinghouse Science Talent Search (nowadays it's the Intel Science Talent Search I think) with a lab research paper on influenza. For some reason Asian parents always thought that Westinghouse competition is so prestigious... So I figured it was the best way to spruce up my college application so I can get into a good school. And my previous life in molecular biology just kind of snowballed from there. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have bothered. :laugh:

13. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thank you, Tom. Two more days and you would never worry about them. Oh...probably you will have to experience the school time again because you might decide to specialize in the future, maybe? :D

14. LibertyB

LibertyB BusyBee
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think this is the nicest thing I have seen you post. You must be a real softy after all :love:

15. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    I'll be a D2 next fall. Nervous? Definitely! :D

16. dudelove

dudelove Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Make sure that you partner up with some nice/decent people for gross anatomy. I got stuck with 3 people. I hated 2 of them...oh how much I hated them...so I switched into another group 2 weeks later. It was a bit awkward, so my advice is to scout out some cool people at orientation and ask them if they would like to form a group. Good luck. By the way, as a soon to be ex-Bostonian, I can attest to the fact that the weather here sucks. That is one of the reasons that I am moving. Good luck! Enjoy your dental school days.

17. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

Hey Littled,

I can totally sympathize. I'm nervous too! I'm moving from Missouri to Florida in a couple of months (a change in almost every aspect of life from climate to social scene). I don't really know a single person there and it's a huge change in lifestyle. Plus, I will be leaving my boyfriend of two years behind. So many changes in a short time. I am excited too though.

Good luck!
    Jessica