Anybody go on to a second residency after completing one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep...I made the same as a PGY-8 fellow as the PGY7s ( as a matter of fact when they first sent me the contract they sent it for a PGY six salary and I sent it back saying that was wrong… Actually got it changed! )

I'll be at 8 when done..... at least where I'll be they have an increasing pay scale up until PGY-8. Still doesn't take the sting away of delaying a full salary another 2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be at 8 when done..... at least where I'll be they have an increasing pay scale up until PGY-8. Still doesn't take the sting away of delaying a full salary another 2 years.

I'm already ready to get paid, I dunno wat you're doing

wonder if Medicane and I just got stiffed or if more places are doing that as increasing number of people are doing longer and longer training.
To be fair, most programs I know of will only pay you for the minimum GME level required for the position you're at.

That is, if you do a 7-year gen surg program then a 2 year fellowship, you technically only needed to do 5 years of gen surg, so those two years of fellowship might be paid as PGY 6 and 7. Similarly, if you do an IM chief year, your fellowship will still only pay you as a PGY4 (rather than starting you at PGY5).

There's not that many fields that actually *require* 9 years of training, though "optional" research years often push others into that group. I can think of the neurosurgical fellowships and a handful of superfellowships like peds c/t surgery, but nothing else is readily coming to mind. The longest track in any of the "medical" fields is 8 years for electrophysiology (which can certainly be longer with chief/research years, but we're not counting those).

Reactions: 1 user
Can confirm above minimum GME thing, finishing peds, starting anesthesia in July. Being paid as a PGY-2 and now get to have loans kick in. In the words of GOB, "I've made a huge mistake..."

Can confirm above minimum GME thing, finishing peds, starting anesthesia in July. Being paid as a PGY-2 and now get to have loans kick in. In the words of GOB, "I've made a huge mistake..."
I can't say it with authority, but I think it varies by institution. I got bumped down to PGY-2. But, my home (first) institution seemed to consider your actual years out. But, they were also a pretty generous GME office, partially as a draw to a less exciting geographic location.

So, I am an Osteopathic medical school grad, non-traditional student with years of work experience in mental health and EMS.

My plan was to go to med school and then do Psychiatry. Unfortunately, during med school I gomt sick (gallstone pancreatitis) and missed enough time that my graduation date was pushed out to end of July. My school pulled me from the allopathic match and I scrambled into an Osteopathic TRI and reapplied to combined IM/psych residencies and some straight psych residencies unsuccessfully, thinking I had an "in" with programs that had been interested in me the year before, but unfortunately, no, I didn't match and decided to continue on in family medicine in the program where I had done the TRI (this was the year that Psychiatry became very competitive, and even Osteopathic psych residencies, that typically never filled all their slots were full).

So my question is, for those that may know, would the ACGME/Medicare reimbursement take this into account in funding a second residency in Psychiatry (after finishing fm, so I can double board), or will I be relegated to 0.5Fte status and therefore a financial liability to programs I apply to?

--Sean

I'm not certain what you're asking them to "take into account", but the answer is no. You'd be out of your initial residency period, and you'd get 0.5 FTE of DME funding. Your program would still get the full IME funding, so the total funding would be >0.5 and <1.0 depending on the proportions of DME/IME.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know how the funding issue works, but if it helps, I do know firsthand of people who completed a full residency prior to marching into psych, so I think you definitely are still in the running. Good luck to you.

So, I am an Osteopathic medical school grad, non-traditional student with years of work experience in mental health and EMS.

My plan was to go to med school and then do Psychiatry. Unfortunately, during med school I gomt sick (gallstone pancreatitis) and missed enough time that my graduation date was pushed out to end of July. My school pulled me from the allopathic match and I scrambled into an Osteopathic TRI and reapplied to combined IM/psych residencies and some straight psych residencies unsuccessfully, thinking I had an "in" with programs that had been interested in me the year before, but unfortunately, no, I didn't match and decided to continue on in family medicine in the program where I had done the TRI (this was the year that Psychiatry became very competitive, and even Osteopathic psych residencies, that typically never filled all their slots were full).

So my question is, for those that may know, would the ACGME/Medicare reimbursement take this into account in funding a second residency in Psychiatry (after finishing fm, so I can double board), or will I be relegated to 0.5Fte status and therefore a financial liability to programs I apply to?

--Sean