Anybody going to the TCOM open house on 3/27?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hilikus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmmm? Are ya? TELL ME!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My wife and I will be there. We just got back after spending a week in Fort Worth looking for a place to live. A 940 sq. ft. house a block from the school was for sale. ASKING 195,000. :scared: So we are still trying to fiqure out how we are going to make ends meet while she is in school there. We did find some homes that need a complete remodel about 10 miles from the school that are listed in the 70-80k range. But I am still a little :scared: about the next 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I will be there also. What type of attire will you be wearing? I'm thinking slacks and a sportcoat, minimum. You only get one chance to make a first impression....

The packet my wife got in the mail said "very informal events; therefore, you don't have to dress to impress. In fact, bring some athletic shoes/clothes for spring fling activities."

She has already been accepted for DO Class 2008. I don't know if that is the same for someone that is applying for next year or not though? I would call the office before to check on attire. That way you don't show up "overdressed". But that is my opinion?

So does that mean jeans and docs are ok?

And to the other person looking at houses, that area is notoriously expensive. If I were you I would look to eastern ft. worth, n. richland hills area, or even west arlington. There's lots of affordable, decent places. And ask yourself this, do you really need a house?

My wife and I have owned a house for 5 years but neither of us have any reservations about moving into an apartment when med school comes.

the area close to TCOM is expensive true, eastern ft. worth is a little trashy and north richland hills is too expensive and too far from school. do you really want to be on I-35 at 7 or 8 am? your answer should be no. i may be a little partial to arlington cause i live there but it is perfect. i live about 5 min from UTA and it takes me about 25 min to get to school in the hospital district. a lot of good apartments in throughout the area though but if you are insistent on a house the go for it.

i got my bachelors from UTA.

I know easter ft. worth is a giant ghetto...I'm trying to think of what other areas around there might be suitable. The bad part about the school's location is that every neighborhood in the general vicinity is old therefore not that good.

Have you looked in the Hulen area?

Originally posted by hilikus
i got my bachelors from UTA.

I know easter ft. worth is a giant ghetto...I'm trying to think of what other areas around there might be suitable. The bad part about the school's location is that every neighborhood in the general vicinity is old therefore not that good.

Have you looked in the Hulen area?

There is areas around there that are bad...you should look into the HEB area (Hust, Euless and Bedford) Thats not a bad location and its not very far. I live in Grand Prairie not bad location at all. Yes there are bad areas here but then I think they is everywhere. You'll have to drive around and search a nice area. Grand Prairie is a drive to TCOM but I wouldn't mind it. Its not that bad though. About 30 minutes. I just have my fingers crossed that I will get accepted there! I still have some time though before I apply! So I only can prepare and try my best.

HEB is a nice area, I used to live there during college. The problem is traffic in that area is terrible in the mornings. The only alternative to coming down 35 or going 820 to 30 is going down 121 but even that can be a headache.

Originally posted by hilikus
HEB is a nice area, I used to live there during college. The problem is traffic in that area is terrible in the mornings. The only alternative to coming down 35 or going 820 to 30 is going down 121 but even that can be a headache.

Yes it can be a headache getting onto 820! any direction I think!!! :) I hate 820. or even 183! They both get congested during rush hours!