Anybody Hear from VCU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaypea65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how VCU contacts you for an invite?

Members don't see this ad.

me too! I've pretty much been waiting by the mailbox with my computer since they updated my aadsas

have you guys even received word that everything is in for vcu? i've called and they don't seem very willing to help other than tell you to check aadsas, which is still not updated for me at all for any schools..are you experiencing the same thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
On AADSAS, my status says "under review". It has been that way for a couple of weeks.

An email about app. fees, but thats it thus far. I really hope to interview there, I've heard really good things about their program.

An email about app. fees, but thats it thus far. I really hope to interview there, I've heard really good things about their program.

What is their program like? I am very interested in this school. It may very well be my #1 choice. Can you elaborate on what you heard about their program?

got an interview invite today via snail mail...

I also got an interview invite today in the snail mail. I submitted my application on May 23, and took the DAT on June 19.

What is their program like? I am very interested in this school. It may very well be my #1 choice. Can you elaborate on what you heard about their program?

I'll tell you my experience... It changed a little since then because we were MAJORLY overworked 2nd semester of first year.

Year 1 : Dental anatomy and lab, operative dentistry and lab, physiology, gross anatomy, neuroanatomy, histology, microbiology/immunology, pathology, review of lit, clinical skills (some REAL clinical experience), periodontology, occlusion... maybe a few others that I'm forgetting... A LOT OF WORK!

Year 2: VCU has this cool thing now that just started where year 2 in addition to oral pathology, orthodontics, pharmacology, cariology, removeable pros and lab, occlusion and lab, fixed pros and lab, we have rotations through all the specialities and GP (3-4 days/week), we have recall patients and we have D2 clinic where we will actually start operative procedures this semester. Some already have!

Year 3: Mostly clinic with some classes and year 4: All classes

Bottom line, VCU is one of the earliest clinical schools out there now. It is an AMAZING experience although tuition went up...its a bit expensive now.

At my institution I knew a guy who enrolled at VCU, he may have been a VA resident though. I was a freshman, and he was a senior, so it was 3 yrs ago. Anyway, I've heard the faculty/student relationship is very nice. The admissions office seems personal. I also think they are constructing a new building (VCU students correct me if I am wrong) with all new equipment.

Well, nevermind my post above, as SugarNaCl is a current student and will give the most accurate information.

Btw, SugarNaCl, thanks for the year to year info. That is awesome to hear about the clinical experience. Now, I really really want to visit VCU!! Thanks again.

Well, nevermind my post above, as SugarNaCl is a current student and will give the most accurate information.

Btw, SugarNaCl, thanks for the year to year info. That is awesome to hear about the clinical experience. Now, I really really want to visit VCU!! Thanks again.

DRHOYA... you are absolutely right about the student faculty relationship. I hadn't thought to mention that but I REALLY like all the faculty I have met (except for one--but may have just been a bad day. I have only had one direct contact meeting with him/her). They are VERY respectful and treat the students like professionals. They also choose very easy going people to head up a lot of the clinical courses and the general practice groups you are assigned to for your D2,3,4 yrs. It's a truly GREAT place and I LOVE IT!
VCU will get alumni $ from me ;)