- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internship, Residency and Fellowship Positions
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Other Anybody interview with Desert Regional yet?
Started by Cfalzy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Internal candidates mostly. Sometimes if the program is desperate, they will take outside candidates. Other times, the spot remains unfilled because of a great risk of taking an outside candidate as the perception is that person will fail more often than not.
Got this email, hope it helps!:
Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, CA has just received ACGME approval for a new Family Medicine Residency Program. We are looking to fill up to 10 PGY-1 positions and 10 PGY-2 positions. Requirements include passing the USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CS and Step 2 CK with no more than 1 failure for each exam and preferably scores greater than 210. We are not sponsoring visa applicants at this time.
No applications accepted after June 5!!!
Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, CA has just received ACGME approval for a new Family Medicine Residency Program. We are looking to fill up to 10 PGY-1 positions and 10 PGY-2 positions. Requirements include passing the USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CS and Step 2 CK with no more than 1 failure for each exam and preferably scores greater than 210. We are not sponsoring visa applicants at this time.
- - ERAS CV
- - Personal Statement
- - USMLE Score Report
- - Deans Letter/MSPE
- - Medical School Transcript
- - 3 LORs
- - ECFMG Certificate and Visa Status (if applicable).
No applications accepted after June 5!!!
Last edited:
Lui1989
New Member
do you have any idea if they actually interview for these off-cycle positions? or do they just take someone based on just their CV and other documents?
I have interviewed with a few programs off cycle, they do interview. No one would ever accept someone only based on their CV because they want to make sure you fit into their program. COVID actually has played to my benefit in this sense since everything is virtual (less money on travel).
im not a sir but youre welcome!thank you sir!
Hi, how do you know the off-cycle positions? Maybe you have a strong application too.I have interviewed with a few programs off cycle, they do interview. No one would ever accept someone only based on their CV because they want to make sure you fit into their program. COVID actually has played to my benefit in this sense since everything is virtual (less money on travel).
Lui1989
New Member
Hi, how do you know the off-cycle positions? Maybe you have a strong application too.
Im trying to understand your question. Like how do I find them? Find a resident, resident swap, SDN posts some too. I have a reasonable application. I completed 2 years of surgical training, passed all 3 board examinations 1st time , 1- 200s, 2-230s. I have quite a few research projects this year also. I keep getting told i would be top 2 or top3 etc but they always only have room for 1. Which is why I appreciate this opportunity as this program has 10 positions available.
Im trying to understand your question. Like how do I find them? Find a resident, resident swap, SDN posts some too. I have a reasonable application. I completed 2 years of surgical training, passed all 3 board examinations 1st time , 1- 200s, 2-230s. I have quite a few research projects this year also. I keep getting told i would be top 2 or top3 etc but they always only have room for 1. Which is why I appreciate this opportunity as this program has 10 positions available.
Did you pass your step 3 ?
Lui1989
New Member
Yep.Did you pass your step 3 ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed last week, saw the rejection e-mail when I woke up this morning.
Lui1989
New Member
yea I interviewed with them on Friday, it seemed like they wanted people in the area and who have strong ties to stay with them after residency. so that was out of the gate for me as im in new York.
You will find this with a lot of programs. Especially new programs that involve immediate relocation.
Lui1989
New Member
I was fortunate enough to get a position in this family medicine program. A little background though, I have been trying to place in a residency program for three years. I did two prelim surgical years (PGY1 and PGY2) and a research fellowship. It is quite discouraging to not find a position but stay strong everyone! Keep active in clinical medicine, research, academia to be able to support gaps since your medical school graduation. There is also much to say about reaching out to faculty, PDs prior to the application process to acknowledge your interest. Even though I did not match, I did beat being filtered out of some programs and got offered interviews because the PDs knew to look for my application. If you work with any attendings ask about their training as sometimes they can also reach out and sponsor you.
Good luck everyone!
P.S. One of the most resilient stories I have heard came from an ICU nurse I used to work with. One day he was extremely excited to see me. We talked and he notified me that he had gotten a family medicine residency position. I did not know that he had completed medical school (Caribbean) , did not match for multiple year and became an ICU nurse. After working with so many doctors he got the right sponsor and found a program. I kept that story close to give me strength every year of applications.
Good luck everyone!
P.S. One of the most resilient stories I have heard came from an ICU nurse I used to work with. One day he was extremely excited to see me. We talked and he notified me that he had gotten a family medicine residency position. I did not know that he had completed medical school (Caribbean) , did not match for multiple year and became an ICU nurse. After working with so many doctors he got the right sponsor and found a program. I kept that story close to give me strength every year of applications.
I was fortunate enough to get a position in this family medicine program. A little background though, I have been trying to place in a residency program for three years. I did two prelim surgical years (PGY1 and PGY2) and a research fellowship. It is quite discouraging to not find a position but stay strong everyone! Keep active in clinical medicine, research, academia to be able to support gaps since your medical school graduation. There is also much to say about reaching out to faculty, PDs prior to the application process to acknowledge your interest. Even though I did not match, I did beat being filtered out of some programs and got offered interviews because the PDs knew to look for my application. If you work with any attendings ask about their training as sometimes they can also reach out and sponsor you.
Good luck everyone!
P.S. One of the most resilient stories I have heard came from an ICU nurse I used to work with. One day he was extremely excited to see me. We talked and he notified me that he had gotten a family medicine residency position. I did not know that he had completed medical school (Caribbean) , did not match for multiple year and became an ICU nurse. After working with so many doctors he got the right sponsor and found a program. I kept that story close to give me strength every year of applications.
thank you for sharing your story and best of luck. I will aim to apply big on FM next cycle maybe we will meet.
are they done with the interviews? I didn't get any response at all....
Yes, they are done with interviews.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K