Other Anybody interview with Desert Regional yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cfalzy

Reaction score
Anybody get an interview with desert regional yet? Was just wondering

Members don't see this ad.

Not yet. Be on the look out if you see stuff like this. PDs have a tendency to lie about how many applications they receive. This is a standard "sorry but you suck letter" no matter how it is elloquently phrased.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200531-150640__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-150640__01.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 436
Yup. They are the main problem with off cycle positions. Liars they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Internal candidates mostly. Sometimes if the program is desperate, they will take outside candidates. Other times, the spot remains unfilled because of a great risk of taking an outside candidate as the perception is that person will fail more often than not.

I just want them to tell me if they are rejecting me or not.

Give it a couple of days. There must be at least 2000 applications they have to go through. Most of those wont cut it because they are lazy to review every application.

Does the program have a site or any contact info for the residency coordinator ?

Reactions: 1 user
Got this email, hope it helps!:

Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, CA has just received ACGME approval for a new Family Medicine Residency Program. We are looking to fill up to 10 PGY-1 positions and 10 PGY-2 positions. Requirements include passing the USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CS and Step 2 CK with no more than 1 failure for each exam and preferably scores greater than 210. We are not sponsoring visa applicants at this time.

• - ERAS CV
  • - Personal Statement
  • - USMLE Score Report
  • - Deans Letter/MSPE
  • - Medical School Transcript
  • - 3 LORs
  • - ECFMG Certificate and Visa Status (if applicable).
Send Applications to [email protected] with copy to [email protected].

No applications accepted after June 5!!!

Last edited:
do you have any idea if they actually interview for these off-cycle positions? or do they just take someone based on just their CV and other documents?

I have interviewed with a few programs off cycle, they do interview. No one would ever accept someone only based on their CV because they want to make sure you fit into their program. COVID actually has played to my benefit in this sense since everything is virtual (less money on travel).

I have interviewed with a few programs off cycle, they do interview. No one would ever accept someone only based on their CV because they want to make sure you fit into their program. COVID actually has played to my benefit in this sense since everything is virtual (less money on travel).
Hi, how do you know the off-cycle positions? Maybe you have a strong application too.

Hi, how do you know the off-cycle positions? Maybe you have a strong application too.

Im trying to understand your question. Like how do I find them? Find a resident, resident swap, SDN posts some too. I have a reasonable application. I completed 2 years of surgical training, passed all 3 board examinations 1st time , 1- 200s, 2-230s. I have quite a few research projects this year also. I keep getting told i would be top 2 or top3 etc but they always only have room for 1. Which is why I appreciate this opportunity as this program has 10 positions available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im trying to understand your question. Like how do I find them? Find a resident, resident swap, SDN posts some too. I have a reasonable application. I completed 2 years of surgical training, passed all 3 board examinations 1st time , 1- 200s, 2-230s. I have quite a few research projects this year also. I keep getting told i would be top 2 or top3 etc but they always only have room for 1. Which is why I appreciate this opportunity as this program has 10 positions available.

Did you pass your step 3 ?

anyone get a rejection or any update from this program?

Nothing yet. I don’t even know if they got my application lol

Interviewed last week, saw the rejection e-mail when I woke up this morning.

yea I interviewed with them on Friday, it seemed like they wanted people in the area and who have strong ties to stay with them after residency. so that was out of the gate for me as im in new York.

yea I interviewed with them on Friday, it seemed like they wanted people in the area and who have strong ties to stay with them after residency. so that was out of the gate for me as im in new York.

You will find this with a lot of programs. Especially new programs that involve immediate relocation.

I was fortunate enough to get a position in this family medicine program. A little background though, I have been trying to place in a residency program for three years. I did two prelim surgical years (PGY1 and PGY2) and a research fellowship. It is quite discouraging to not find a position but stay strong everyone! Keep active in clinical medicine, research, academia to be able to support gaps since your medical school graduation. There is also much to say about reaching out to faculty, PDs prior to the application process to acknowledge your interest. Even though I did not match, I did beat being filtered out of some programs and got offered interviews because the PDs knew to look for my application. If you work with any attendings ask about their training as sometimes they can also reach out and sponsor you.

Good luck everyone!

P.S. One of the most resilient stories I have heard came from an ICU nurse I used to work with. One day he was extremely excited to see me. We talked and he notified me that he had gotten a family medicine residency position. I did not know that he had completed medical school (Caribbean) , did not match for multiple year and became an ICU nurse. After working with so many doctors he got the right sponsor and found a program. I kept that story close to give me strength every year of applications.

Reactions: 7 users
I was fortunate enough to get a position in this family medicine program. A little background though, I have been trying to place in a residency program for three years. I did two prelim surgical years (PGY1 and PGY2) and a research fellowship. It is quite discouraging to not find a position but stay strong everyone! Keep active in clinical medicine, research, academia to be able to support gaps since your medical school graduation. There is also much to say about reaching out to faculty, PDs prior to the application process to acknowledge your interest. Even though I did not match, I did beat being filtered out of some programs and got offered interviews because the PDs knew to look for my application. If you work with any attendings ask about their training as sometimes they can also reach out and sponsor you.

Good luck everyone!

P.S. One of the most resilient stories I have heard came from an ICU nurse I used to work with. One day he was extremely excited to see me. We talked and he notified me that he had gotten a family medicine residency position. I did not know that he had completed medical school (Caribbean) , did not match for multiple year and became an ICU nurse. After working with so many doctors he got the right sponsor and found a program. I kept that story close to give me strength every year of applications.

thank you for sharing your story and best of luck. I will aim to apply big on FM next cycle maybe we will meet.