Anybody know anything about elective in Hong-Kong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mefistofel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically nothing much to add.. :) Want to do an elective in Hong-Kong and was wandering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

there are 2 main medical schools in hong kong, university of hong kong and i forgot the other. google them. they have international electives but you have to apply several months in advance. all the app info is in english.

u of hk is great.
their hospital is aweeeesome.
(okay, i was a patient, but my 2 cents)

Members don't see this ad :)
Language problem is there ? I am indian mbbs & i cleared mcem part a. I want to do my training in emergency medicine in hk. Please help me.................................................

Prince of Wales Hospital is the major teaching hospital for CUHK, Queen Mary's Hospital is the major teaching hospital for HKU~

From what I've heard, the teaching is good at both hospitals. Gen med (esp gastro and cardio), gen surg (esp upper and lower gi), neurosurg and O&T have been getting good reviews at Prince of Wales...

Queen Mary's famous for their liver transplant surgeries~~

You blend in with the local students and follow their rotations and all teaching is done in english, so there should be no prob with communication.

I heard that both unis provide accomodation (limited) but the hostel at HKU doesn't have a nice reputation lol

Apply early for both!

How do we apply for an elective at those hospitals?

HI, some body plz let me what is elective .like its the year after 4rth year of mbbs at hospital right .i am confused becoz in some countries it may called internship like in india and pakistan .....

Who would be the contact person for either of these hospitals? I'm not having any luck googling the hospital name and "visiting student". Thanks for the help!

Here is the website for HKU
http://www.hku.hk/facmed/#
If you look under education and then elective attachments, you can download more information about their rotations.

and this is the site for cuhk
http://www.med.cuhk.edu.hk/v7/s30_30.htm

If anyone has any information on the living accommodations at either hospitals, I would really like to hear about it. Thanks in advance! :)