You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anybody wanna talk about the brain?
Started by Future Doc1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
the brain is pretty interesting on physiological level and chemical level, when you dissect it though, it's pretty boring lol.
the brain is pretty interesting on physiological level and chemical level, when you dissect it though, it's pretty boring lol.
👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the brain is pretty interesting on physiological level and chemical level, when you dissect it though, it's pretty boring lol.
I hope this was sarcasm. 🙁 I find it super intriguing.
It's the only organ aware of its own existence.
I agree that dissecting the brain is pretty blah. There's not a whole lot to it. Its function is cool, but you'll get sick of memorizing which and what types of fibers go where.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
The liver is way more awesome than the brain.
I haven't started my residency yet, but I think this phenomenon happens because the brain sort of "cheats" as it responds to external stimuli.I was doing some research and found a pretty cool theory to why people get déjà vu and a lot of other stuff if anybody wants to find out; post back if you're interested 😀
Can you recall a time where you briefly caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of your eye, and you were sure it was one thing but instead it ended up being something entirely different? At the moment you had the glimpse, you remember seeing certain details that aren't actually there as you realize you were looking at something else. I think the same thing occurs with deja vu. When you had that first glimpse, you only had a very small amount of visual stimuli that was brought to your brain to process. So your brain cheats and tries to fill in the information with memories of objects that possessed similar traits to the glimpse you had. Your brain makes you think you're looking at your remembered object and you actually SEE that memory, instead of the actual object that was at the edge of your vision.
EPIC FAIL!!! 👎mad:the brain is pretty interesting on physiological level and chemical level, when you dissect it though, it's pretty boring lol.
The brain rules man. It is insane when you think about how much sophistication is involved with all those random looking folds and valleys. Everything has a unique purpose! And neurovascular anatomy is, imo, very cool. The Circle of Willis is totally funky looking and has a very bizarre circulatory pattern. The only other organ I find even remotely as interesting to study is the heart.
👍It's the only organ aware of its own existence.
Uh, sure it is. And can you tell me the significance of each lobe of the liver? Oh, thats right... there is none. Each part does exactly the same as the other! Booooring.The liver is way more awesome than the brain.
Well the theory I agree with, and also some scientists believe, is that when your hippocampus sorts long and short term memories, It accidentally sends something you just saw to the long term area of the hippocampus where it classifies memories. I think that, generally, the reason you just forget something is because it is not something significant for you to remember, so it gets sent to the short term area of the hippocampus where you will probably forget it. When you just see or hear something random and new, it usually gets sent to the short term area because it won't probably be significant at all to remember for the future, but, Sometimes your hippocampus will make the mistake of filing it into the long term area so when you see or hear something new, you feel as if that particular situation already came about. Basically your brain just made a mistake. The theory is more clear and probably better explained if you look it up. I just thought this was really interesting and wondered if others did as well 🙂 Post back if you have a varying opinion 🙂👍
Your agreement is backed by years of relevant experience and numerous research projects devoted to the subject, of course. 😛Well the theory I agree with...
I found the brain to be interesting, but the most experience I got with it was from AP Psych and I pretty much forgot everything.
Interesting thing I heard in gun training is that the standard procedure is to shoot the attacker twice in the thoracic cavity to tkae out the heart. However, if the attacker is running on high amounts of adrenaline and/or drugs, that may not stop it.
Plan B is to follow up and take a shot between the eyes and the bottom of the mouth to hit a certain part of the brain that is guaranteed to take the attacker out, even when two shots to the heart fails to do so.
Can someone explain this?
Interesting thing I heard in gun training is that the standard procedure is to shoot the attacker twice in the thoracic cavity to tkae out the heart. However, if the attacker is running on high amounts of adrenaline and/or drugs, that may not stop it.
Plan B is to follow up and take a shot between the eyes and the bottom of the mouth to hit a certain part of the brain that is guaranteed to take the attacker out, even when two shots to the heart fails to do so.
Can someone explain this?
I guess if you have enough stimulants in you, it's hard to get your heart stopped even when it has holes in it. Between the eyes would at least knock out your frontal lobes (motor control, most notably), and I suppose the bottom of your mouth would be your lower medulla and/or spinal cord which would take out just about everything. You'd aim for the body first first since it's an easier target then move to the sure thing that's more difficult to achieve.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sweet. I knew it.😀👍Your agreement is backed by years of relevant experience and numerous research projects devoted to the subject, of course. 😛
A part of the brain I think is important for development of it, scientist have called the Sonic Hedgehog or somethingI just want to say that Cerebral Peduncle is a funny word that makes me laugh. So is infundibulum.
That's a gene/protein, but yeah.
I guess if you have enough stimulants in you, it's hard to get your heart stopped even when it has holes in it. Between the eyes would at least knock out your frontal lobes (motor control, most notably), and I suppose the bottom of your mouth would be your lower medulla and/or spinal cord which would take out just about everything. You'd aim for the body first first since it's an easier target then move to the sure thing that's more difficult to achieve.
I think the target you were supposed to hit was in the back of the brain, the brian stem mainly. This is also the shot taken for hostage situations because taking out this part of the brain would prevent the offender from jerking the trigger when he gets shot.
You know anything more about this?
Right, the medulla is part of the brainstem. I know absolutely nothing about shooting protocol. I'm just applying some basic brain knowledge to the situation. Severing the spinal cord at cervical (neck) levels and destruction of the medulla would cause flaccid paralysis in everything below the injury.
you might wanna pursue neurology as a field of research and work--you seem real interested 😛
Hmmm... this sounds very interesting. Can you tell me how they did the study?
Well its kinda broad but the researchers probably hooked up transmitters to some peoples heads and and observed the people and their brains activity as they showed them images that were familiar and then some that were totally new that they had probably never seen. They probably kept doing this for a while and noticed that the hippocampus was frequently acting up and performing activities in the brain and they probably based their theory off of that.Hmmm... this sounds very interesting. Can you tell me how they did the study?
Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 941
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 539
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 600
H
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 864
H
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E