Anyone accepted to a school that requires a minimum of C on a pre req but only had a C-?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeball97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so there are some schools where the minimum grade for a pre req is a C- and others where it is a C. I have one class where I have a C- and one of the schools I have an interview with is a school that requires a C. I was wondering if anyone had a similar situation. I am a little worried because everything else in my application looks good and I would like to not have to retake this class because it is almost impossible to get it done before Optomery school starts.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I wanted to see if there has been any exceptions. I do have a very good reason to why I have a C- on this class.

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up taking a gap year, but I had to retake pre-reqs that were C-. It was not waivable, but luckily I had the time...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know the subject...and a C- is not acceptable, see if your school would accept a CLEP exam. I did it for Calculus because I didn't have the time to take the class and knew I could teach myself in the 6 weeks I had over the summer. You can always call the school's admissions department and find out.

Hey, so there are some schools where the minimum grade for a pre req is a C- and others where it is a C. I have one class where I have a C- and one of the schools I have an interview with is a school that requires a C. I was wondering if anyone had a similar situation. I am a little worried because everything else in my application looks good and I would like to not have to retake this class because it is almost impossible to get it done before Optomery school starts.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I wanted to see if there has been any exceptions. I do have a very good reason to why I have a C- on this class.

Despite the minimum grade requirement, it appears that schools have leeway. I also received an interview at a school with that minimum despite having a C- in a pre-req class.

My question is how it works with pre-req lab requirements. I contacted all the DO schools to which I applied prior to sending out my apps. All of them said they would accept or at least consider replacing my C- with an advanced science course in the same discipline. However, no one mentioned the lab requirement. I got an A in the lab for the C- class. If the upper level science classes do not have labs, will schools perhaps accept the lab I already have, combined with the advanced science class?

Despite the minimum grade requirement, it appears that schools have leeway. I also received an interview at a school with that minimum despite having a C- in a pre-req class.

My question is how it works with pre-req lab requirements. I contacted all the DO schools to which I applied prior to sending out my apps. All of them said they would accept or at least consider replacing my C- with an advanced science course in the same discipline. However, no one mentioned the lab requirement. I got an A in the lab for the C- class. If the upper level science classes do not have labs, will schools perhaps accept the lab I already have, combined with the advanced science class?
Thanks for your reply. I do not know about that. I had also taken an advanced level class compared to the one they requires but still had to end up doing it again to get the minimum required grade. So I guess, it would definitely depend on the school you are applying too.

I would also just reach out to each school you want to apply to and ask this question--they can usually give you some better guidance. I just interviewed at MWU and they went over their policy where an upper level science class (e.g., advance bio) can replace the general bio grade if it was a C-. The lab grade would not cover lecture grades. But they mentioned how students email them all the time asking these types of questions.

I would also just reach out to each school you want to apply to and ask this question--they can usually give you some better guidance. I just interviewed at MWU and they went over their policy where an upper level science class (e.g., advance bio) can replace the general bio grade if it was a C-. The lab grade would not cover lecture grades. But they mentioned how students email them all the time asking these types of questions.

I literally reached out to every school to which I intended to reply on this issue prior to submitting my apps. While some were vague, nearly all said they will accept or at least consider an upper level science class in substitution for a less than “C” basic pre-req. My question about the labs is different. Most of the pre-req science requirements include a lab. Upper level science classes at my university were generally not accompanied by a lab. Am wondering if the lab requirement is apart from the science requirement, I.e., my lab in the C- class will meet the lab requirement even if I substitute an upper level class for the basic one.

I literally reached out to every school to which I intended to reply on this issue prior to submitting my apps. While some were vague, nearly all said they will accept or at least consider an upper level science class in substitution for a less than “C” basic pre-req. My question about the labs is different. Most of the pre-req science requirements include a lab. Upper level science classes at my university were generally not accompanied by a lab. Am wondering if the lab requirement is apart from the science requirement, I.e., my lab in the C- class will meet the lab requirement even if I substitute an upper level class for the basic one.
Got it--so your lab and lecture was combined in the grade (i.e., you only received one grade for both the lab and lecture)? If so, I can see how that is tricky... I feel like I don't have that answer and that has to be directed to the school you're applying to. Perhaps they didn't understand either that the grade is a combined grade for lecture/lab?

Got it--so your lab and lecture was combined in the grade (i.e., you only received one grade for both the lab and lecture)? If so, I can see how that is tricky... I feel like I don't have that answer and that has to be directed to the school you're applying to. Perhaps they didn't understand either that the grade is a combined grade for lecture/lab?

Sorry if I am not being clear. I got a C- in a basic science, pre-req class. I got an A in the lab for that course. I have several much higher grades in advanced courses for the same science. However, none of those advanced classes was given with a lab. Will schools accept the lab from the basic science and substitute the advanced science for my pre-req?

Sorry if I am not being clear. I got a C- in a basic science, pre-req class. I got an A in the lab for that course. I have several much higher grades in advanced courses for the same science. However, none of those advanced classes was given with a lab. Will schools accept the lab from the basic science and substitute the advanced science for my pre-req?
Ha wow sorry!! I see how that can be a problem/question, too. I wanna say yes? Seems logical to me but I guess that’s up to each school...

Reactions: 1 user