Anyone accepted to R-Dep Creighton Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UtahDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, will you attend? Creighton is a great school but moving twice seems like a pain. What do you think.....

Members don't see this ad.

Not me, But I do know two of the applicants that were accepted. One was also in at Pittsburg and was waiting on UNLV. He said he didn't know what he was going to do for sure. The other was a girl, she was also in at a couple schools.

I talked with Dr. Powell and I'm the first alternate right now. My wife is very interested in the RDEP for a couple reasons. You stay in state one more year, and that means it would be easier to have family around for another kid, in-state tuition for that year, and tution re-imbursement afterwards. I'm interested in all the above but it's hard to compare becuase I haven't seen Creighton. I haven't yet gone out to Omaha, but if they contact me, I'll go out there for sure to take a look. I hear good things, but nothing gets you excited like seeing it for yourself. Yeah, moving sucks bad and I wouldn't enjoy having to do it twice. Were you accepted there UtahDDS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Beestieboy said:
I talked with Dr. Powell and I'm the first alternate right now. My wife is very interested in the RDEP for a couple reasons. You stay in state one more year, and that means it would be easier to have family around for another kid, in-state tuition for that year, and tution re-imbursement afterwards. I'm interested in all the above but it's hard to compare becuase I haven't seen Creighton. I haven't yet gone out to Omaha, but if they contact me, I'll go out there for sure to take a look. I hear good things, but nothing gets you excited like seeing it for yourself. Yeah, moving sucks bad and I wouldn't enjoy having to do it twice. Were you accepted there UtahDDS?
Just curious and maybe I'm missing something, but you state that you haven't yet seen Creighton, but in your signature line you list it as an interview on Oct. 24th. Did they interview you locally?

I know what you mean. It is a good school, but so is UNLV and it is a lot closer to home for all four years. Plus I would only have to move once, so that is a big plus. I have not seen Creighton either, so that makes me a little weary. I guess each person has different things they are looking for, so good luck to all.

leviham said:
Just curious and maybe I'm missing something, but you state that you haven't yet seen Creighton, but in your signature line you list it as an interview on Oct. 24th. Did they interview you locally?

I can't speak for him, but Creighton does local interviews in Utah... at least they came to the Univ of Utah to do interviews a couple of months back.

leviham said:

Yep, I interviewed up in Salt Lake and saw the students in lecture and lab and watched them learn how to do a couple different impressions. That new building is sweet! I know the first year would be pretty nice.

Beestieboy said:
Yep, I interviewed up in Salt Lake and saw the students in lecture and lab and watched them learn how to do a couple different impressions. That new building is sweet! I know the first year would be pretty nice.

If you are the 1st on the wiatlist, you will get in for sure. There are 3 or 4 people who got in to the Rdep last year and are in my class. So if its anything like last year spots will open in a month. Hard to say no to sin city though!!!!!

I hear you. I'm leaning that way right now myself. I loved the school. The pro's of Creighton are being in my home state one more year and cheaper tuition/living. For UNLV, it's not terribly far (certainly closer than Omaha for 3 years), the school is new and great, I liked the faculty and the use of technology. Plus I've been there and seen it so that is huge.

Do you know what made those people chose UNLV over the RDEP?

I have been to both UNLV and Creighton. They are both great. The building, technology, faculty, staff, and city at UNLV are way better- and it is much closer to home. The clinical aspect at Creighton is probably a little better than UNLV's (I'm not sure though- we saw it during lunch break and it was completely empty) RDEP or UNLV??? tough choice?

UtahDDS said:
I have been to both UNLV and Creighton. They are both great. The building, technology, faculty, staff, and city at UNLV are way better- and it is much closer to home. The clinical aspect at Creighton is probably a little better than UNLV's (I'm not sure though- we saw it during lunch break and it was completely empty) RDEP or UNLV??? tough choice?

To me, this one is a no brainer. First, the facility in Vegas isn't new. My tour guide said it used to be a wholesale store.?.? Creighton has a much better learning atmosphere. Sure, UNLV has all the latest and greatest technology, but the students' biggest complaints were how screwed up and slow the computer system is. Can't compare the faculty since we only met the pumped up gay Professor at UNLV. (However, he was very enthusiastic about their curriculum.) As far as the cities go, I can't think of many places worse than Vegas to raise a family. Pre-clinic at UNLV is newer and nicer, but there is no comparisson in the actual clinic. Besides the "distance from home factor", Creighton seems miles ahead to me.

Beestieboy said:
I hear you. I'm leaning that way right now myself. I loved the school. The pro's of Creighton are being in my home state one more year and cheaper tuition/living. For UNLV, it's not terribly far (certainly closer than Omaha for 3 years), the school is new and great, I liked the faculty and the use of technology. Plus I've been there and seen it so that is huge.

Do you know what made those people chose UNLV over the RDEP?

Easy choice, UNLV!!! for several reasons.

Gone fishin said:
To me, this one is a no brainer. First, the facility in Vegas isn't new. My tour guide said it used to be a wholesale store.?.? Creighton has a much better learning atmosphere. Sure, UNLV has all the latest and greatest technology, but the students' biggest complaints were how screwed up and slow the computer system is. Can't compare the faculty since we only met the pumped up gay Professor at UNLV. (However, he was very enthusiastic about their curriculum.) As far as the cities go, I can't think of many places worse than Vegas to raise a family. Pre-clinic at UNLV is newer and nicer, but there is no comparisson in the actual clinic. Besides the "distance from home factor", Creighton seems miles ahead to me.

First of all you need to get your story straight because you are feeding people full of all sorts of garbage. The facility is new, yes the actual structure is some years old, not a store though I will tell you that, I think part of it was work force services, I don't really know. This school is soooo awesome, the computer problems have been fixed, and now they have a computer at every chair, and we are getting, currently in the process of getting a touch screen for every patient to fill out stuff at every operatory. We have plenty of patients, most proffesors are great, and Dr. Kingsley is a really good micro teacher. We will be learning how to do patient screenings and histories with the second years next semester. The digital x rays are awesome, our preclinical lab is great. really not much negativity to say about the school. The reason why some of my fellow class mates decided to come here over Creighton is because of what UNLV has to offer. Most of us here choose to come here over multiple schools, and I don't think even one of us regrets it. Look I lived in South Dakota for 2 years, pretty close to Omaha, I didn't even apply there because you couldn't pay me to live there again.

Members don't see this ad :)
lindandy said:
Easy choice, UNLV!!! for several reasons.

You choosing UNLV over Oklahoma then?

Regarding the school, it doesn't matter what the building was before the dental school was there. That really has no bearing on how new the dental facilities are and those are new for sure.

When you say "most" professors are good, are there any to watch out for? I'd really like to have a heads up on that, as I'm sure others will too. And, as an aside, when I was interviewing with Dr. Ayers he asked me what one of the important factors in me chosing a dental would be. I told him I wanted to go to a school where the faculty treated you like a future collegue and not just a lower life form. He admitted that there were some professors at Creighton that did just that, but not many. If anyone has any inside information about professors at these schools, please share. We would love to know.

I think I am choosing UNLV for a lot of the strength you talked about in Creighton. Its close, we'll get a tuition break and you can't beat the weather. I was totally unimpressed with the R-Dep program and the dentists I talked with you attended Creighton didn't have any strong arguements for the school. Housing is my only concern with Vegas, but I think it will work out. I hope that I will know ppl there though, and not have ppl pulled away to Creighton or UoP!!!

Beestieboy said:
And would you care to share why?

I spent several hours talking with a student at UNLV who also was accepted and declined R-Dep. The more he told me about the school, the more excited I am about choosing it #1. UNLV will only cost about 130, and its close by. If you do go to Creighton you are required to return to UT, where you will earn a lot less, and the savings are not the great. I hope choose UNLV and I think several more ppl that we know will ultimatley end up there too.

How many R-Dep students are there. I was accepted to Creighton but I'm from Ohio. Will we only have 50?...60?....70? students the first year. Just wondering

dentalguy said:
How many R-Dep students are there. I was accepted to Creighton but I'm from Ohio. Will we only have 50?...60?....70? students the first year. Just wondering
There are 10 RDEP students (from Utah). But there is also a IDEP (from Idaho) that I also think has 10 students. So the first year class at Creighton will be 20 short.

IDEP actually has 8 (unless they changed it this year).

Man, I'm really having a hard time with my choice between Creighton and UNLV.

platinumcaps said:
what is rdep?

i think its a program for utah people to go to creighton..it's kind of like a utah quota if u will...2 yrs or so is spent in utah and the other 2 in Omaha, not sure though..... :luck:

SirShagaLot said:
i think its a program for utah people to go to creighton..it's kind of like a utah quota if u will...2 yrs or so is spent in utah and the other 2 in Omaha, not sure though..... :luck:
Your first year is at the University of Utah. The next 3 are in Omaha. You get a tuition break and then get paid around 15 thousand dollars a year for like 3 years just for coming back and working in Utah.