Anyone an Infectious Disease Pharmacist willing to share some experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this field since I majored in medical microbiology. I searched what it is about but couldn't really find what they specifically do. If you are one, please do share some of your experiences. IF you know someone who does this, a good insight is enough.

Things I want to know:
-What is the typical day like?
-Do you get involve in the diagnosis?
-How competitive is the residency spots?
-What made you pursue to this field?
-Any regret on choosing this path?
-Do you perform any microbiology lab work? (One of the residency school's website mentioned that you will get training on some micro lab work).
-What do you think makes this job exciting?

Thank you for your future responses! I really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am just pre-pharm too, so I hope someone knowledgable comes in and answers your question. I am thinking that the infectious disease pharmacist would have a role in making sure antibiotics are used properly to prevent or slow-down the proliferation of antibiotic resistant bacteria. The right antibiotic to directly address the problem and the proper dosing/length of treatment course. Apparently, overuse of antibiotics is becoming a big issue, so I am thinking that the pharmacist..especially an infectious disease pharmacist could play an important role in managing that problem.

As a practicing pharmacist I can tell you that these jobs are the so-called "unicorn" jobs. I personally have met two in my entire career. One at my University and one at the Main Campus of the Cleveland Clinic. I can tell you that PGY-2 is mandatory.

I do hope one of the rare unicorns can jump in and give a report.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in this field since I majored in medical microbiology. I searched what it is about but couldn't really find what they specifically do. If you are one, please do share some of your experiences. IF you know someone who does this, a good insight is enough.

Things I want to know:
-What is the typical day like?
-Do you get involve in the diagnosis?
-How competitive is the residency spots?
-What made you pursue to this field?
-Any regret on choosing this path?
-Do you perform any microbiology lab work? (One of the residency school's website mentioned that you will get training on some micro lab work).

Thank you for your future responses! I really appreciate it :)

Infectious disease fellow here. I'll break down the general roles of an ID pharmacist, although the experience may vary by institution.

Most are involved in antimicrobial stewardship, which variously involves setting up and overseeing antibiotic restriction policies, surveillance of antibiotic use (either on a continuous daily basis, or more intermittently through MUEs), working on antimicrobial monographs for P+T, building ID-related order sets, etc. These roles all require close coordination with infectious disease physicians, clinical microbiologists, and hospital infection control policies. Non-administrative-type roles of a stewardship pharmacist also include serving as a drug information resource for the pharmacy and infectious disease physicians. Again, these roles vary based on institution, and overlap with the clinical aspect.

The clinical roles of the ID pharmacist typically involve rounding with an ID service or other hospital service (the rounding responsibilities vary widely from place to place, not all ID pharmacists round). On rounds, responsibilities typically include drug dosage optimization, drug selection based on disease characteristics/microbiology, as well as provision of general drug knowledge about non-ID related drugs and their interactions. Depending on the service and the pharmacist, the pharmacist may have a role in diagnostics (interpreting rapid diagnostic tests, culture data, etc.). Other roles include outpatient management in HIV or general ID clinics, with some institutions having dedicated outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy pharmacists.

Getting into the training aspect - residency slots are somewhat competitive, as it is a popular pharmacy specialty with a limited number of residency slots. I wasn't in the match this last year, so I haven't checked the match rates, but they are available for your perusal. ID residency experience varies based on the institution, but you're generally exposed to all of the above listed experiences plus related fields (transplant, heme/onc, critical care), with some institutions having dedicated microbiology rotations for the residents to participate in.

I chose to pursue ID because I think its a hugely interesting field, with pharmacists in a great position to make an impact on a huge number of patients through stewardship and rounding. On a day to day basis, I see everything ranging from advanced AIDS to orthopedic device infections to stem cell transplants to well-managed primary care patients in an HIV clinic. Through stewardship, I get the chance to participate in the care of every patient in the hospital with numerous interventions made on a daily basis. As a fellow, I also have the ability to become involved in incredible research with the truly great minds in ID (pharmacist or physician). I don't regret the path I've taken for a minute.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know!

Cool information and thanks for your time!

What experiences, classes, professional connections, and attributes do you feel made you stand out above other competitors for the fellowship position? Thanks for the info.

Infectious disease fellow here. I'll break down the general roles of an ID pharmacist, although the experience may vary by institution.

Most are involved in antimicrobial stewardship, which variously involves setting up and overseeing antibiotic restriction policies, surveillance of antibiotic use (either on a continuous daily basis, or more intermittently through MUEs), working on antimicrobial monographs for P+T, building ID-related order sets, etc. These roles all require close coordination with infectious disease physicians, clinical microbiologists, and hospital infection control policies. Non-administrative-type roles of a stewardship pharmacist also include serving as a drug information resource for the pharmacy and infectious disease physicians. Again, these roles vary based on institution, and overlap with the clinical aspect.

The clinical roles of the ID pharmacist typically involve rounding with an ID service or other hospital service (the rounding responsibilities vary widely from place to place, not all ID pharmacists round). On rounds, responsibilities typically include drug dosage optimization, drug selection based on disease characteristics/microbiology, as well as provision of general drug knowledge about non-ID related drugs and their interactions. Depending on the service and the pharmacist, the pharmacist may have a role in diagnostics (interpreting rapid diagnostic tests, culture data, etc.). Other roles include outpatient management in HIV or general ID clinics, with some institutions having dedicated outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy pharmacists.

Getting into the training aspect - residency slots are somewhat competitive, as it is a popular pharmacy specialty with a limited number of residency slots. I wasn't in the match this last year, so I haven't checked the match rates, but they are available for your perusal. ID residency experience varies based on the institution, but you're generally exposed to all of the above listed experiences plus related fields (transplant, heme/onc, critical care), with some institutions having dedicated microbiology rotations for the residents to participate in.

I chose to pursue ID because I think its a hugely interesting field, with pharmacists in a great position to make an impact on a huge number of patients through stewardship and rounding. On a day to day basis, I see everything ranging from advanced AIDS to orthopedic device infections to stem cell transplants to well-managed primary care patients in an HIV clinic. Through stewardship, I get the chance to participate in the care of every patient in the hospital with numerous interventions made on a daily basis. As a fellow, I also have the ability to become involved in incredible research with the truly great minds in ID (pharmacist or physician). I don't regret the path I've taken for a minute.

I am going to start my pgy2 in july if I match. I would like to brush up on my antimicrobial drugs and would like to do an Antimicrobial Stewardship program. I was wondering which program is better. MAD-ID or SIDP? Does my future PGY-2 hospital sponsor this cost usually or should I ask my existing hospital to sponsor this? I would like to ideally go into my PGY-2 program with more confidence in Anti microbial agents. Thank you.

You've posted this 3 times..drive123

I am going to start my pgy2 in july if I match. I would like to brush up on my antimicrobial drugs and would like to do an Antimicrobial Stewardship program. I was wondering which program is better. MAD-ID or SIDP? Does my future PGY-2 hospital sponsor this cost usually or should I ask my existing hospital to sponsor this? I would like to ideally go into my PGY-2 program with more confidence in Anti microbial agents. Thank you.

I don't know about either program to make an informed comment. I'd look at the program details for each and determine which one suits your needs.

As far as sponsorship goes, you'd have to speak to your future institution to see if they will cover the costs. I'd imagine that your PGY-1 will not sponsor you, as it will provide no benefit to them to see you trained in stewardship on their dime and then leave shortly afterwards.

I don't know about either program to make an informed comment. I'd look at the program details for each and determine which one suits your needs.

As far as sponsorship goes, you'd have to speak to your future institution to see if they will cover the costs. I'd imagine that your PGY-1 will not sponsor you, as it will provide no benefit to them to see you trained in stewardship on their dime and then leave shortly afterwards.

Do I need a stewardship program from MAD-ID or request my pgy2 to give me a rotation in ID to better my antimicrobial drugs knowledge. I never had an ID rotation. Thanks

Do I need a stewardship program from MAD-ID or request my pgy2 to give me a rotation in ID to better my antimicrobial drugs knowledge. I never had an ID rotation. Thanks

Go for the rotation first. Then see if you need stewardship training - if you're not going to be in a role where you perform a lot of stewardship, it likely won't benefit you to complete a stewardship training program. They aren't designed to give you drug knowledge (not in the capacity you're looking for, at least).