Anyone apply while in SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdm2fly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about an SMP since my BCPM isn't too hot, but I would like to apply for med school this summer. Has anyone simultaneously done an SMP and applied to med school? I am asking this because I would be sending my LORs from courses I took in the SMP really late (January) if I went this route, and I know that with my stats, my chances would definitely be lowered for acceptance.

Does anyone who has done this before have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to apply for SMP for this coming fall...any advice would really help!!

I did. You can take a look at my signature to see how it has worked out :)

OP check out my Official SMP thread- the answers to ALL your questions should be there. PM if it doesnt answer your questions. I am going to move this to the postbac thread because you will get plenty more responses there. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people I know in the SMP are applying to med schools simultaneously. My only advice is to apply as early as possible and write those secondary essays before the start of school. You don't want to be agonizing over some "what makes you unique" essay when difficult med school classes starts.

I am thinking about an SMP since my BCPM isn't too hot, but I would like to apply for med school this summer. Has anyone simultaneously done an SMP and applied to med school? I am asking this because I would be sending my LORs from courses I took in the SMP really late (January) if I went this route, and I know that with my stats, my chances would definitely be lowered for acceptance.

Does anyone who has done this before have any advice?

my bcmp was most definately not hot (under 3.0), but it is worth applying. i got my apps done this summer and before december had 2 interviews. is there anyway you can have someone from you program send a progress letter with test grades from your classes? ours did that, even though our final grades didn't come out until the end of february.

best wishes!