Anyone applying for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also accepted!!! super excited to meet you all :)-- we should start a fb group.

ugpa: 3.09; MCAT 32. excellent extracurricular/volunteer work. applied 4/15.

Members don't see this ad.

Also accepted!!! super excited to meet you all :)-- we should start a fb group.

ugpa: 3.09; MCAT 32. excellent extracurricular/volunteer work. applied 4/15.
Did they ask for extracurricular activities? I have a lot since I've been working at a hospital for the past two years and have volunteered in different departments. I requested to submit essays and references from my work multiple and my representative said she doesn't want any which I found very odd. Now I feel that I'm at a huge disadvantage.

Did they ask for extracurricular activities? I have a lot since I've been working at a hospital for the past two years and have volunteered in different departments. I requested to submit essays and references from my work multiple and my representative said she doesn't want any which I found very odd. Now I feel that I'm at a huge disadvantage.
These should have been on your resume, which is recommended and considered but not required. The recommendations are not required nor considered for admissions, only for rotations in yr 3.

Members don't see this ad :)

yea what @derpina said. I just condensed everything I've done onto my resume- didn't submit any references though.

@SHMD that is a killer mcat and gpa. Why arent you applying to the usa? Congrats to all those accepted. And postivity to those waiting for the mcat decision. I hope we all make it through

yea what @derpina said. I just condensed everything I've done onto my resume- didn't submit any references though.
I submitted my resume with all the info which is good. It's just that I finished on the same day as you, so now I'm completely freaking out about not being accepted yet. My undergrad gpa is 3.38 and mcat is 27.

Thanks for your reply and congratulations!

I submitted my resume with all the info which is good. It's just that I finished on the same day as you, so now I'm completely freaking out about not being accepted yet. My undergrad gpa is 3.38 and mcat is 27.

Thanks for your reply and congratulations!
Was your MCAT taken before 2013?

@SHMD that is a killer mcat and gpa. Why arent you applying to the usa? Congrats to all those accepted. And postivity to those waiting for the mcat decision. I hope we all make it through
I applied to 31 U.S. schools, but I applied late(I.e. July). I'm also a little light in the EC dept. After researching uq-o I decided I'd rather go that route than pay to reapply. I'm really excited about this program. Although I've applied to several masters programs, I think UQ-O would be a better choice for me.

No, it was taken September 2013.
Did you check your spam folder? All my emails from them have gone into spam.

I don't think you should panic. Looking at previous threads, it looks like they accept as long as you meet the minimums.

I applied to 31 U.S. schools, but I applied late(I.e. July). I'm also a little light in the EC dept. After researching uq-o I decided I'd rather go that route than pay to reapply. I'm really excited about this program. Although I've applied to several masters programs, I think UQ-O would be a better choice for me.

Same with me. I got into Georgetown's SMP but I've decided UQ-O is better for me personally.

@panda532 I wouldn't worry too much. We don't know how they are processing applications. For all we know, you may have been accepted, but letters are going out alphabetically or something arbitrary like that. Thanks, and good luck!

Same with me. I got into Georgetown's SMP but I've decided UQ-O is better for me personally.

@panda532 I wouldn't worry too much. We don't know how they are processing applications. For all we know, you may have been accepted, but letters are going out alphabetically or something arbitrary like that. Thanks, and good luck!
Was it by email or regular mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT January 2013 and sent my app in a week after it was available.. mid-late March.

3.53c, 3.5s 27 MCAT

Congratulations to all who got accepted! How long do you have before you need to pay the 3k deposit?

Congrats to all that got accepted! @panda532 I'm on the same exact boat as you. When I found out this morning that they sent out offers and I didn't get one I almost had a panic attack. I only got a vague answer from mededpath that they had no word on my application. Hoping we hear news soon!

Sorry if this sounds bossy/nosy, but can everyone share their stats? I just recently submitted so I don't think I'll hear back soon, but I'll let everyone know when I do!

So:

GPA: specify graduate or undergrad, they only consider the most recent one, so this is important
MCAT: specify if before or after Jan 2013

I think this information is key in making a determination.

I'll go first:

GPA: 3.0 (graduate)
MCAT: 38 (before Jan 2013)

Last edited:
@derpina 38 on your mcat?? Holy mother.......how are you not in medical school

Reactions: 1 user
May I ask your stats and date of your MCAT? And congratulations!

Thanks!

uGPA = 3.3
MCAT = 37 on mid-April 2013

Have a smattering of interesting EC's, but don't think those really count except as a reason not to attend last year when accepted.

Good luck to all those applying or waiting! Hope to see you in Brisbane!

@derpina yeah I noticed it was a graduate gpa. You could still get into low tier d.o. and m.d. programs with that stellar of a mcat. But hey only you know your personal situation and application value. Just making an observation

@derpina yeah I noticed it was a graduate gpa. You could still get into low tier d.o. and m.d. programs with that stellar of a mcat. But hey only you know your personal situation and application value. Just making an observation
Tried, rejected everywhere without interview. 40+ schools, no reach. Tried twice with considerable research and volunteering in between. Same result.

I sent my application in one week ago and got a confirmation from Mededpath that the application was complete and sent on to Brisbane. I met the requirements without a good amount of room and was told that 116 applications had been received (and apparently the timing was good, so I assume that means there are spots left.)
For those who have received admissions decisions, did it end up taking 6-8 weeks? Do we know the size of the class?

Thanks. Well, then I really hope it's in on time!

For those of us in the first batch, it took about 8 weeks to hear back. I know that later in the season it usually doesn't take as long.

Last edited:
Congrats to all that got accepted! @panda532 I'm on the same exact boat as you. When I found out this morning that they sent out offers and I didn't get one I almost had a panic attack. I only got a vague answer from mededpath that they had no word on my application. Hoping we hear news soon!

Almost? My hopes and dreams were shattered for like the 40th time haha. I called and they said a decision is still pending, but will most likely be made any day now. I hope we both get good news this Tuesday or better yet this week. Feels like purgatory -_-

Anyone else going absolutely mad with the wait on the mcat requirement? Driving me up the bloody wall

Anyone else going absolutely mad with the wait on the mcat requirement? Driving me up the bloody wall
By the email, they said the decision will be made before June, correct?
email said:
We expect to have confirmation of this admission requirement by June 2014.
Unless my english is bad, and this means end of June. Someone should call and ask!

Has anyone accepted their offer yet? Any idea on what clinical school to pick for Year 1 (Princess Alexandra Hospital or Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital)?

@derpina according to the email it should be correct. I have already called and asked, to hear that it could be a couple of weeks (which I heard a month ago).

Not to be snarky but it always make me laugh when people say someone should call and ask. Why don't YOU call and ask? Since you're in the same situation that is....it's just frustrating I feel like I'm the only one complaining sometimes. If I call them one more time asking the same question, I think they will throw my app out.

Haha just kidding. Really I'm not directing any animosity towards you if it came off rude...I'm just venting my frustrations that on this forum I've only seen 4 people say they were frustrated with the waiting and waiting. In fact, I greatly appreciate that you responded with some input. So thank you!

I don't know what the other 14 (18 on hold or so, probably more now) are doing...lurking...sleeping? Perhaps they are complaining as well. If so, then I'm happy. I just want to hit the SOM on the head and be like please hurry. You either are going to change it or not....how many executive meetings do they need to decide an outcome???

Has anyone accepted their offer yet? Any idea on what clinical school to pick for Year 1 (Princess Alexandra Hospital or Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital)?

Not that I attend UQ or anything but from my research all the hospitals seem to be good. Maybe ask on uqms

Not to be snarky but it always make me laugh when people say someone should call and ask. Why don't YOU call and ask? Since you're in the same situation that is....it's just frustrating I feel like I'm the only one complaining sometimes. If I call them one more time asking the same question, I think they will throw my app out.
I did call, but I don't have a copy of my phone record to quote on SDN. They phrased it as "by June" as well over the phone, but now that I think about it, it could be ambiguous, as in "before June" or "by the end of June." I don't want to call twice for the same thing.

@derpina well I'm glad you did. I have called twice this week (just cause I like to drive them mad) and two weeks ago. My bad in assuming you didn't call. It is very ambiguous as mededpath said they go on vacation at the end of june. Lets just keep hope they don't change it.

@derpina It is very ambiguous as mededpath said they go on vacation at the end of june. Lets just keep hope they don't change it.

How long are they on vacation for?
This wait is seriously killing me. I'm sure they are sick of hearing from me too. My worst fear is they will wait to hear back from the first round of acceptances before sending more offers out, which would be 6 weeks? Trying to stay positive and hoping we all hear back soon, especially for those of you that are awaiting the MCAT decision.

How long are they on vacation for?
This wait is seriously killing me. I'm sure they are sick of hearing from me too. My worst fear is they will wait to hear back from the first round of acceptances before sending more offers out, which would be 6 weeks? Trying to stay positive and hoping we all hear back soon, especially for those of you that are awaiting the MCAT decision.

I guess I should clarify and say the UQ SOM is on vacation according to the mbbs calendar from june 23 onwards and then july 7 classes resume. Link here: https://my.som.uq.edu.au/mc/media/25979/mbbs calendar 2014 - approved amended.pdf.

But Overall UQ is on vacation from july 7 till july 14. So I'm not really sure which side the faculty falls on, I'm guessing the SOM vacation is the one we should go by.

@evangeline47 I'm with you on the wait. I really hope they don't decide to do that...but knowing the history..they very might well. Maybe I'll call UQ today and try and get some answers...sooo frustrating.

EDIT: Not going to call UQ...sick of this crap. I'll just wait quietly.

Last edited:
So... I was thinking about starting a fb group, and this might be a really stupid question lol but.... are we technically considered the class of 2018 or 2019? Since the school year ends in December for Australia, I would guess 2018, but something about 2015-2018 just doesn't sound right..

Anyway, for those that plan to officially accept their offer and are interested in collaborating via facebook please speak up and I can start one. It'd be nice to get to know our future classmates early on ;) Also, @green giraffe - maybe we could exchange views on the Year 1 clinical schools as I'm having a hard time deciding as well.

Everyone else: best of luck! I'd seriously be furious about the MCAT thing too.. Crossing my fingers for all those that are still waiting- keep us posted!

For year 1 clinical schools just pick the one which is most convenient to get to. You don't actually go to the wards except for one short visit (you learn with a clinical tutor and practice on each other). If you're going to live in the West End area (the cool part of town) there is a bus that goes from RBH to PA to UQ so getting anywhere is easy.
For year 2 pick RBH, better tutor to student ratio. But there is a Starbucks at PA and some people think that's a plus. They're not common in Australia.

Reactions: 1 users
So... I was thinking about starting a fb group, and this might be a really stupid question lol but.... are we technically considered the class of 2018 or 2019? Since the school year ends in December for Australia, I would guess 2018, but something about 2015-2018 just doesn't sound right..
2018. It only sounds weird because in the US the holiday between each academic year does not overlap calendar years.

Thought so.. just wanted to make sure, thanks!

"UQ-Ochsner Class of 2018" facebook group is now up for anyone that'd like to join~

I'm so excited I found other people who got accepted. I was waiting for a fb group. I had been waiting since March, but my MCAT was August 2013 (best of luck though).

Too late to apply for 2015?
Way too late. For 2015, you should have put in your application on June 2013 like the rest of us...

Just kidding. Not late at all. Based on previous years' threads, people have applied in Nov and Dec and have gotten in.

Last edited: