Anyone applying for Peds Heme/Onc '08?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peds_MD

I'm almost there...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a PGY 2 @ an East Coast Peds program and I'm currently attending interviews for Heme/Onc 2008.I wanted to compare notes with anyone else in my shoes...

Members don't see this ad.

Someone please reply!!!

Hi there,
I am a peds intern, just recently completed my peds heme onc month and really enjoyed it! So, I have actually just started looking into what the fellowship requires and contemplating what appears to be more extensive training than the usual three years. I was wondering in your experience with applying and interviews so far, how important completing a research project or publication is during residency. I am concerned because I am coming to this decision perhaps alittle late and still trying to figure out if it is the right path for me.

Any words of wisdom would be helpful! Hope that your interviews are going well! :luck:

Hey Dolce,

It's nice you're considering Heme/Onc as a possible career path...I think it's the most amazing field in Medicine and there are so many areas just waiting to be explored.

That said,I don't have a background in research and I hadn't published any papers...my residency program is an inner city community peds program.That didn't stop me from getting interviews at the top programs.Fortunately,we get to go thru the match and once you get an interview I guess the onus is on you to prove your interest in the field.Most of the docs who have interviewed me have not viewed no research/no papers as a minus in the race.

So my opinion is if you decide you're interested...go for it!!!

GL