Anyone Applying to Dublin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtakuVet

MU c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm just wondering is anyone applying to Dublin? It seems that we have a few older threads but perhaps we could get a newer thread going involving some of the students and applicants. If this may sound kind of stupid but I kind of decided to apply to Dublin at the last minute. For two reasons: Ireland and Research. I would also like to apply to the five year program because Im jsut one of those weird people. But those that are applying are you applying for the four year or the five year program? And is there any particular reason why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I'm just wondering is anyone applying to Dublin? It seems that we have a few older threads but perhaps we could get a newer thread going involving some of the students and applicants. If this may sound kind of stupid but I kind of decided to apply to Dublin at the last minute. For two reasons: Ireland and Research. I would also like to apply to the five year program because Im jsut one of those weird people. But those that are applying are you applying for the four year or the five year program? And is there any particular reason why?

Hmmm I applied last year on a whim too!! I really enjoyed the school and the campus, but decided Glasgow was a better fit for me. As for applying to a 4 or 5 years program...they didn't give me a choice, they simply accepted me into the 4 year. The way Mr. Buckley explained it to me was that if they accept like 30-40 Americans into the 4 year program, then they have more spaces to accept national(ie Irish students) into the 5 year program. They made the 4 year especially for Americans because we have completed so many classes through BS/BA degrees and then the younger students simply play catch up and you meet again in your 2nd/their 3rd year. Maybe they have a way for you this year to apply to the 5 year...but you might want to e-mail John Buckley about it...very nice man!!! If you really like the idea of a 5 year program, have you considered Glasgow, RVC, or Edinburgh??? Good Luck!!!

I'm applying to Dublin as well! Is there anyone on this board that goes there? I know it is relatively new so I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm I applied last year on a whim too!! I really enjoyed the school and the campus, but decided Glasgow was a better fit for me. As for applying to a 4 or 5 years program...they didn't give me a choice, they simply accepted me into the 4 year. The way Mr. Buckley explained it to me was that if they accept like 30-40 Americans into the 4 year program, then they have more spaces to accept national(ie Irish students) into the 5 year program. They made the 4 year especially for Americans because we have completed so many classes through BS/BA degrees and then the younger students simply play catch up and you meet again in your 2nd/their 3rd year. Maybe they have a way for you this year to apply to the 5 year...but you might want to e-mail John Buckley about it...very nice man!!! If you really like the idea of a 5 year program, have you considered Glasgow, RVC, or Edinburgh??? Good Luck!!!

Edinburgh also has a 4 yr GEP program. Not sure if you get a choice or not.....i almost feel like you could do the 5yr if you wanted since they are SO accommodating. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask! Good Luck!

I'm applying to Dublin. And actually, I have a question for those of you who also applied.
What were we supposed to do besides select VMCAS? I followed up on Edinburgh and Glasgow and all of my other 5 schools to make sure I got every single little thing in on time, and for some reason I feel like I dropped the ball on this one.:whistle:
I checked the online UCD thing a few times and what I discerned from it was, 1.) select VMCAS, 2.) they send you an e-mail saying they got VMCAS, 3.) you send them your official transcript and passport copy, and then fill out the online supplemental.

So far...I've selected them for VMCAS, then got too carried away with other things and forgot to make sure I wasn't supposed to do anything else...was I?

They have the instructions on their website http://www.ucd.ie/vetmed/

There is a link on the right side with instructions for VMCAS applicants

Lovely! I'm starting right now, and as for the "Personal Statement", did you guys do a new thing or copy/paste your VMCAS PS into this section? I think it would be silly to put the same PS into this box that I did for VMCAS but I'm secretly hoping that I don't need to hammer out something original and unique, or perhaps just use my VMCAS PS and adjust it personally to why I would want to do it "Dublin" style.
Ahhhkkk, no more PS please I thought I had kicked that damn thing to the curb months ago.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the school leaving exams are? It says a copy is required to send to them. Is it the GRE? if yes, i thought it wasn't required?

I have no idea, I'm still working out this PS thing. Is it maybe some specific UK thing? I don't think we have any sort of school leaving exams, and as far as I know GRE scores are not to be sent.

the leaving exam is a UK/ Europe- type thing- Think advanced wizarding exams a la harry potter. just a huge set of standard tests to show how well you "learned" the material at an advanced high school level. Closest in the US would be found in AP heavy programs or schools offering the IB.

the leaving exam is a UK/ Europe- type thing- Think advanced wizarding exams a la harry potter. just a huge set of standard tests to show how well you "learned" the material at an advanced high school level. Closest in the US would be found in AP heavy programs or schools offering the IB.

ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying!:)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses completely innocent situations, and somehow finds a way to bring up or relate it to :love:Harry Potter:love:...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it was that or reference "bend it like beckham" which is a bit nerdy, even for me.

Plus, I figured everyone on earth has read at least one of the books. :D

Does anyone know the deadline for the supplemental application for Dublin? I too was wondering about the personal statement. Is everyone just using your personal statement from vmcas and just adding some specific info regarding why you want to go to dublin in it? Opinions would be appreciated...:)

Does anyone know the deadline for the supplemental application for Dublin? I too was wondering about the personal statement. Is everyone just using your personal statement from vmcas and just adding some specific info regarding why you want to go to dublin in it? Opinions would be appreciated...:)

Ummm I would advise against reusing your personal statement or even paragraphs from it. They already get a copy of your VMCAS PS. When I wrote mine last year, they wanted it to be about you and why dublin more than "this is why i want to be a vet"...give them something more personal..they want to know you!!! Also, I don't know if it has changed, but my supp was due the end of January if that helps...

I applied to Dublin as well. I also applied to Edinburgh and Glasgow, does anyone know if they require anything else besides the vmcas? I couldn't find any other info.

And Glasgow doesn't require anything else except transcripts :)

Is the application # for the UCD supplemental that we are supposed to be sending with our transcript copy and our passport copy sent in a different e-mail than the one with the admissions checklist that is sent right after you finish the online supplemental? I finished the onine UCD supplemental and didn't get any new super special number...uhhhhh?:confused:

Last edited:
I emailed UCD about the personal statement and he replied saying "Copying the statement from your VMCAS application should be sufficient." yay! Load off my shoulders. Just thought yall should hear the good news too.

Hi - If you open your application, they should have assigned you an ID on the application. I didn't get a separate email with my ID.

Well, when I wrote him he said that it was okie dokie (not in those exact words) if I just wrote a bit about why I specifically chose Dublin. I wrote like three paragraphs about what I thought was nifty about the school, and why I think I would be a good overseas vet school candidate.

Good to hear that we didn't have to write a new PS, I was really bummed when I saw that. And I got my application number finally and got my passport copy/transcript in the mail. I figure it will make its way over there in a few weeks, USPS is a pain but UPS was way more expensive for international.

I applied last year...and got in!...but stayed in the US (I often wonder what I would be doing right now in Dublin had I taken that leap)...anywho, there is/was an SDNer that is a 4th year student at UCD this year...she has her own blog (but has not updated in since this summer)...I would recommend reading it. She gives you a good idea of life out there, and has some pretty pictures! Good luck to all of you!

http://survivingvetschool.blogspot.com/

So did anyone get the email from dublin today saying they received your vmcas application and that they have set up new instructions for their supplemental application. I remember in the old instructions that said we did not have to pay a fee if we are applying through vmcas. Now the new directions say ALL applicants have to pay the supplemental fee. Am I crazy here or did they switch that up on us? I am almost done with the dublin supplemental application but i just wanted to check with those that have already turned it in to see if they had to pay anything. Thanks!

I didn't pay the fee at first, but then I noticed what I thought were the new instructions too. I paid the fee.

Hello,

I applied to UCD for Sept 2010 entry. I didn't apply through VMCAS but through the Atlantic Bridge program. I am very anxiously waiting for a response in March.....:p Does anyone know approximately how many people applied and how many they accept??