Anyone applying to SUNY Downstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gialuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my application a few days ago and was wondering if anyone else has applied as well. If you don't mind, can you post your stats?

Pre-req GPA: 3.09
Cum GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 2.63
Volunteer Hours: 105

While my GPAs aren't that high, I'm hoping that my volunteer experience and personal statement can make me shine. And hopefully I'll do well on my interview as well. I'm taking statistics right now and if I pull off an A, then my pre-req GPA will go up to a 3.1. Since I still have a semester left of my undergrad, my cumulative GPA still has a chance to go up.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Luck. Dont forget Stony Brook as well. Utica offers OT too.

Just to piggyback on this thread.... Will SUNY Downstate accept a B/B+? So far it looks as if I am heading in that direction for A&P 1, but I have As in all other prereqs so far.

I feel like SUNY is the most unattainable of all NY area programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck. Dont forget Stony Brook as well. Utica offers OT too.

Well, Stony Brook offers a BS/MS degree and I'm getting my BA in the spring. Right now I'm only looking into schools that don't require the GRE...or do you think I should broaden my choices and take the GRE?

So far I'm only planning to apply to Downstate, NYU and Columbia, with Downstate being my #1 choice.

I am also applying to Downstate (as long as I get these essays done by next week)

My cum gpa for my BA was 3.959 but that's not taking into account the school I went to for one semester so its actually about 3.85.
My prerequisite gpa is 4.0 (not including human development, chem, and Bio I)
I have between 90 and 100 hours volunteer/observation (geriatrics, adult hospital, pediatrics, neuro, private hand therapy)

Things that I am worrying about with downstate: being a NJ resident & not having 3 prereqs done. (I am in the process of chem and human dev. and I will take Bio I in the spring granted I get an interview/have a good feeling about this school)

Like you, gia, I didn't take the GRE's (and I'm refusing to lol) and I'm starting to feel like by not taking them I am going to regret not applying to schools in other locations like FL, NC, etc. I would love to go to a warmer area but my stubbornness with the GRE is holding me back.

I am also applying to Downstate (as long as I get these essays done by next week)

My cum gpa for my BA was 3.959 but that's not taking into account the school I went to for one semester so its actually about 3.85.
My prerequisite gpa is 4.0 (not including human development, chem, and Bio I)
I have between 90 and 100 hours volunteer/observation (geriatrics, adult hospital, pediatrics, neuro, private hand therapy)

Things that I am worrying about with downstate: being a NJ resident & not having 3 prereqs done. (I am in the process of chem and human dev. and I will take Bio I in the spring granted I get an interview/have a good feeling about this school)

Like you, gia, I didn't take the GRE's (and I'm refusing to lol) and I'm starting to feel like by not taking them I am going to regret not applying to schools in other locations like FL, NC, etc. I would love to go to a warmer area but my stubbornness with the GRE is holding me back.

Wow, you seem to have a pretty good chance of getting in. Have you looked into Keane? They've received all of my documents and it's been forwarded from the Admissions Dept to the program. I have over 100 volunteer hours, but they're all in geriatrics/adult outpatient care.

I feel like I should take the GRE just to increase my chances of getting into a program. But I think I'll take a chance with Downstate since it's my #1 choice. Good luck to the both of us!

Aw thanks and good luck to you too!! Yes, I have looked into Kean. I live about 25 minutes from it actually so my mom and I went and drove around the school a little bit a few months ago. I am going to apply there, and Richard Stockton as well.

I just sent in my application to Downstate and they received all of my materials...thankfully! :) Have my fingers crossed...my science GPA is good (4.0) and I have a ton of volunteer hours (over 150) in about 3 different places. I worked like a crazy person on my essay and personal statement! It took me forever to get the statement down to 250 words! lol. I have 4 more programs to apply to (SB, Touro, Columbia, NYU) so I have a long road ahead of me in the next month! Anyone know how long it takes to hear anything from Downstate? Wishing everyone good luck! :)

jlr- You sound just like me the way you type- "like a crazy person" is something I say ALL the time lol... I have yet to send my stuff to Downstate- I'm still working on the essays.. whoops. I'm planning on "next daying" it there on Monday. I hear ya on the long road ahead- but I can't wait until everything is out in the mail over the next two months and then I can just wait... anxiously.

Good Luck!!!

Laurap- When you say anxious, I know exactly how you feel! I've been running around like a crazy person all week because I just saw the date (Nov 16) and I'm FREAKING OUT. My best friend made me step away from my computer because I was sitting in front of OTCAS for an hour fixing chronological order on certain things. Where else are you applying?

This is the most stressful week ever, I'm like pulling out my hair- Chemistry is such an irritating subject for me. As of right now I'm also going to apply to Kean and Richard Stockton (I'm from NJ and I'm not too sure if I want to venture out of the NJ/NY area lol) I was going to apply to NYU and Ithaca but taking tuition into consideration, I just don't really see any reason for those two as long as I get into either Kean, Stockton, or Downstate... and if I don't get in I'm probably going to sit here and cry for a few days.

Why are you using OTCAS? I think you wrote that you were applying to NY schools- do SB or Touro require otcas? Or are you applying elsewhere too?

Does anyone know the date in the summer the OT program would start?

Hope everyone got their applications in as they were due yesterday!

Raquel, they told me the program starts on June 1st or the first Monday of June. I still don't know when my graduation is, but last year, it was in June. Imagine if I start the master's program before my graduation ceremony? Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the most stressful week ever, I'm like pulling out my hair- Chemistry is such an irritating subject for me. As of right now I'm also going to apply to Kean and Richard Stockton (I'm from NJ and I'm not too sure if I want to venture out of the NJ/NY area lol) I was going to apply to NYU and Ithaca but taking tuition into consideration, I just don't really see any reason for those two as long as I get into either Kean, Stockton, or Downstate... and if I don't get in I'm probably going to sit here and cry for a few days.

Why are you using OTCAS? I think you wrote that you were applying to NY schools- do SB or Touro require otcas? Or are you applying elsewhere too?

haha I know EXACTLY how you feel right now. If you need to cry we can totally do it together, I had a complete breakdown this week over studying for my anatomy test b/c I am so burnt out and I also have chemistry next week which I hate too!!!!! I've never heard of Kean and Richard Stockton, but I agree with you about not wanting to leave my local area for school :) And the whole tuition thing too...I am hoping to either get into SUNY Downstate or SB. You are super lucky you don't have to use OTCAS (for Touro and SB) because that would only add more stress to your life! It's AWFUL.

I got an interview! December 20th at 12:30. I'll have to reschedule since I have a final that day. But did anyone else get an email?

I also got an interview on the 20th at 11:30!! I have to reschedule too because of a final!!! Good luck!!! :)

Wow, we were scheduled right after each other :laugh:. I replied, telling them that the 22nd would be ideal for me since it's right after finals. I don't really wanna push it up lol. Good luck on your interview!!

Congrats guys on the the interviews! When did you submit your applications?

I also asked to have mine rescheduled for the 22! I don't want to push mine up either but no choice lol...Good luck to you! I submitted my application in early November btw.

I just wanted to thank you two for making my anxiety go sky high. I've received nothing except an e-mail saying I have 2 outstanding classes (Chem and Developmental Psych). Now every time my phone beeps that I got an e-mail my hopes go up but to no avail lol

Are all of your prerequisites complete?

Oh god that's awful I'm sorry!!!! I basically have all of my prerequisites done, 2 are in progress, I will be done in 2 weeks. I e-mailed them back yesterday and I haven't heard back yet so maybe they are still e-mailing people!! Don't lose faith!!!!!

Raquel, I submitted my application in late October.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Laurp! Hopefully you'll get an email soon. I'm finishing up statistics this term and it's my last pre-req. How were your essays and recommendations? Since your grades are far better than mine, I'm guessing my essays and recommendations made a difference.

jlr, I also asked to postpone my interview, but haven't heard anything either. It'd be cool if we bumped into each other :laugh:.

Don't lose faith, guys!!! Like jlr said, I'm sure they're still reviewing applications and sending out emails!

By the way, jlr, are you applying to any other schools? I'm debating whether or not I should send in my applications for NYU, Columbia and Seton Hall. I'd need a 3rd recommendation for Columbia and SH and I'm not sure who to ask.

I just wanted to thank you two for making my anxiety go sky high. I've received nothing except an e-mail saying I have 2 outstanding classes (Chem and Developmental Psych). Now every time my phone beeps that I got an e-mail my hopes go up but to no avail lol

Are all of your prerequisites complete?

Relax, Laurp0233. I also kind of freaked out after reading that some people already got interviews. I spoke to someone at SD and they said that they are still in the early stages and have been known to interview up until May. There are still a lot of applications still being processed in the admissions office.

PS. I submitted my application right on the deadline.

Just to piggyback on this thread.... Will SUNY Downstate accept a B/B+? So far it looks as if I am heading in that direction for A&P 1, but I have As in all other prereqs so far.

I feel like SUNY is the most unattainable of all NY area programs.

I just noticed this post...Grade-wise, you seem to be doing well. Just like I asked Laurp, how are your recommendations and essays?

Last edited:
By the way, jlr, are you applying to any other schools? I'm debating whether or not I should send in my applications for NYU, Columbia and Seton Hall. I'd need a 3rd recommendation for Columbia and SH and I'm not sure who to ask.

I am actually sending in my application to NYU as we speak!! (scared!!!) I am applying to Columbia too, but I have only outlined the essay because their essay question is RIDICULOUS!!!!!! I'm not applying to Seton Hall...where is that? I'm from Long Island so just applying locally :) Still haven't heard back from Downstate about rescheduling the interview yet...let me know if u hear anything!!! :)

Thanks for the encouragement guys lol... My recommendations were both near perfect (I was with them when they wrote them) BUT I am finishing those 2 prerequisites now and then planning to take Bio I in the Spring. Also, I am not a New York resident, which puts me at an even bigger disadvantage, but I knew that going into this.

Raquel- that is good to hear, thanks. I actually submitted my online portion on the Thursday before the deadline in the morning thinking I would get the confirmation e-mail immediately so that I could mail it "next-day," and then when it didn't come for about 8 hours I actually had to hand deliver my package to the admissions office on the 19th lol. That was my first experience even going to Brooklyn and it was quite one at that.

I am actually sending in my application to NYU as we speak!! (scared!!!) I am applying to Columbia too, but I have only outlined the essay because their essay question is RIDICULOUS!!!!!! I'm not applying to Seton Hall...where is that? I'm from Long Island so just applying locally :) Still haven't heard back from Downstate about rescheduling the interview yet...let me know if u hear anything!!! :)

Good luck on your NYU application. I think I'm gonna submit NYU's application since I've already sent my transcripts over there. However, I doubt I will submit Columbia's since I would need to find a 3rd recommender on such short notice. The problem with NYU's admission process is that they don't conduct interviews, so your essays have to be EXTREMELY good.

Seton Hall's located in Jersey. I figured I'd apply there as a backup and because it's close-ish, but they also need 3 recommendations. So it looks like I'll be applying locally as well since I live right in Brooklyn. I haven't heard anything about rescheduling either, but let me know if you hear anything as well :).

Last edited:
Just mailed my stuff out to NYU...btw, Columbia also doesn't conduct interviews...their essay is much more intimidating though. Hopefully everything goes alright! Good luck to everyone! :)

My interview's been rescheduled for Dec 22nd at 10:30am. Has anyone else heard from Downstate?

My recommendations and essays are very, very good.

I have since received an email from SUNY Downstate saying that my application is on hold pending my fall 2010 grades.

I also plan to apply to NYU, Columbia and Kean. I am in Brooklyn, so not sure how that would work out, but there aren't a ton of choices for OT MS. I am waiting to submit to the other schools until after this grueling week of finals is over.

Good luck to everyone!

I just noticed this post...Grade-wise, you seem to be doing well. Just like I asked Laurp, how are your recommendations and essays? Just so that you guys will freak out less, I will shamelessly post my pre-req grades:

Bio 1: C
Chem 1: C+ (got an A in chem 2 though)
Anatomy 1/2: B+/B
Intro to Cultural Anthro: A+
Human Development: A
Intro to Psych: B
Abnormal Psych: A+
Stat: In Progress

As you can see, my pre-reqs are less than stellar. I took chem 1 in my freshman year and bio 1 during my sophomore year. Granted those two classes were geared towards pre-med students (the bio exams were structured like the MCAT, no joke), but after taking bio, I got my act together and started getting A's in all of my classes (except anatomy, which I completed last year).

My recommendations and essays are very, very good.

I have since received an email from SUNY Downstate saying that my application is on hold pending my fall 2010 grades.

I also plan to apply to NYU, Columbia and Kean. I am in Brooklyn, so not sure how that would work out, but there aren't a ton of choices for OT MS. I am waiting to submit to the other schools until after this grueling week of finals is over.

Good luck to everyone!

What are you missing? I wish Stony Brook offered an MS-only program rather than a BA/MS degree.

You're in Brooklyn too? Would you mind if I asked what school do you go to, assuming you're still working on your bachelor's?

What are you missing? I wish Stony Brook offered an MS-only program rather than a BA/MS degree.

You're in Brooklyn too? Would you mind if I asked what school do you go to, assuming you're still working on your bachelor's?

I am missing about 6 prereqs, 3 of which I am about to complete. Two I am doing during an abbreviated 6 weeks winter session and then I will complete the last one during the spring semester. I have my BS already from NYU, this would be a second career for me.

It's unfortunate that so few schools offer just the MS:-(

Last edited:
I am missing about 6 prereqs, 3 of which I am about to complete. Two I am doing during an abbreviated 6 weeks winter session and then I will complete the last one during the spring semester. I have my BS already from NYU, this would be a second career for me.

Its unfortunate that so few schools offer just the MS:-(

That's a lot of pre-reqs. Good luck with the winter session.

There are a bunch of MS programs, but many of them require the GRE and are outside of NY.

I just got my interview email! Now I went from being nervous to being even more nervous!! I'm going on Monday the 20th. I'll ya guys know what happens :)

That's a lot of pre-reqs. Good luck with the winter session.

There are a bunch of MS programs, but many of them require the GRE and are outside of NY.
Thank you so much. Its been tough, but with half of them now over, it should get a tad easier. After the winter session, a whole lot easier:)

Yeah, I noticed how many out of states want the GRE. I want to stay in the NY area so the options are limited. On a related note, if you do go to school out of state, how does that work as far as certification and practicing?

I just got my interview email! Now I went from being nervous to being even more nervous!! I'm going on Monday the 20th. I'll ya guys know what happens :)

Congrats on your interview! Good luck on Monday! We'll be rooting for you :thumbup:.

Thank you so much. Its been tough, but with half of them now over, it should get a tad easier. After the winter session, a whole lot easier:)

Yeah, I noticed how many out of states want the GRE. I want to stay in the NY area so the options are limited. On a related note, if you do go to school out of state, how does that work as far as certification and practicing?

I'm pretty sure once you're licensed, you can practiced anywhere within the US because you're licenses by the AOTA.

With the certification all it entails is passing your NBCOT exam when you graduate. Then you will be a registered OT (OTR). Then whatever state you choose to work in all you'll have to do is apply for licensure in that state.

Good luck with your applications =)

So how did everyone's interviews go?

I thought my interview went well. Conversation flowed really smoothly and she seemed impressed by my work experience. She only asked a few basic questions, for example:

- Why did I choose to go into OT?
- What would be the hardest thing about being an OT?
- What kind of experience do you have with OT?

I thought my interview went well. Conversation flowed really smoothly and she seemed impressed by my work experience. She only asked a few basic questions, for example:

- Why did I choose to go into OT?
- What would be the hardest thing about being an OT?
- What kind of experience do you have with OT?

That's great. The questions seem very straightforward. Did you have to meet with anyone else or do an essay?

As I already told gialuan, my interview was relatively short- the writing took the most time. The questions were really simple and basic. However, I wasn't asked any of the questions you, gia, were asked! So it must really be up to the interviewer to pick and choose what to ask. I did get: Why Downstate? and what activities have I been involved in?

I didn't meet with anyone else, only a three other girls who were also interviewing.

I have to say this has been such a informative and comforting thread.

I made a painful last minute decision not to apply to Columbia tonight. It was partly due to not realizing until the last moment that the essay part was so specific and partly b/c of what Laurp0233 said upthread, the tuition. This past semester I just completed was very stressful and I am completely burnt out. Unfortunately, tomorrow I start an intense 6 weeks of AP2 and developmental psy.

I feel very uneasy about not applying to Columbia though. Without it, I will only be applying to 3 schools. NYU is just as expensive, but I decided that I still have to apply. Hopefully I can get everything in by tomorrow. I am also applying to Kean, which will be quite the commute if I get in, since I live in Brooklyn. I am praying that I get into SUNY Downstate, which is my first choice. My application is on hold pending my fall 2010 grades, half of which have not been posted yet.

Sounds like you guys all did well in your interviews. Good Luck!

Raquel, I agree with you, this has been a very helpful thread! Thanks guys! :) btw, good luck with the next 6 weeks with your classes! I just finished up AP2 and I thought it was better than AP1. You get more used to the type of course it is. I applied to 5 schools and was also debating at the last minute whether or not I should apply to Columbia as this semester had been a ballbuster for me too. I'm also sick right now which doesn't help :( I decided to do it and wrote the essay in like 2 days...it's not my best compared to my other schools whose essays I worked on for months, but I thought, hey, it's better then sending nothing. I also had my interview at Downstate about 2 weeks ago and I thought it went pretty well! Everyones usually critical of themselves, so I tend to lean on the side of conservationism as to not let myself down ever! lol...they asked me some standard questions such as "Why OT, How will you succeed in a rigorous/demanding program etc..." and also she came up with some personalized questions based on my application because of my work/school background. Hopefully we will hear something back pretty soon! :) Good luck to everyone!!!

Thanks jlr5585! the first two days of the interesession have felt more like 2 months. lol I do hope AP2 will be easier, I can't really tell yet. As for Columbia, maybe with a little more time I would have applied, but 6 hours to the deadline and I just could not get my thoughts together. Though I think if my heart was truly into it, I would have gotten it done or started the process earlier.

I think the exact same way. I tend to be more pessimistic , if for nothing else then not to feel completely dejected if things don't go my way.

Did SUNY say when people will be hearing about final decisions?

it has been good being able to talk to you guys! I was debating with myself regarding columbia & nyu and decided last minute to forget about them.. I'll probably regret it later on but whatever... I just started contemplating Ithaca... have you guys heard anything about it? .. besides the fact that it's freezing cold up there and I probably wouldn't be able to deal with it. For you 2 in brooklyn- i saw the streets last week with the snow.. hope ya got out okay :)

raquel- did you apply to kean yet? I have my personal statements for kean & richard stockton open on my computer but I just cant write them.

my interviewer at downstate said not to expect to hear back until Feb. b/c they received 200 applicants or something along those lines- did they tell you, gia & jlr, the same thing?

raquel- good luck on your class!! and jlr- feel better :)

Thanks Laurp0233.

Yep, finally out and about. :) I haven't heard anything about Ithaca. I was contemplating Sacred Heart in CT, but too many prereqs for me. You might want to check it out though.

I haven't applied to Kean yet. I seem to always wait until the last possible moment to submit:-( I know what you mean about the essays. It's just complete burnout after a while with the whole application process. Honestly, I more or less just use the same personal statement.

Feb is right around the corner. You guys must be feeling anxious or will be soon. If I get an interview, it probably won't be until Feb/Mar, since I still owe them prereq grades.

it has been good being able to talk to you guys! I was debating with myself regarding columbia & nyu and decided last minute to forget about them.. I'll probably regret it later on but whatever... I just started contemplating Ithaca... have you guys heard anything about it? .. besides the fact that it's freezing cold up there and I probably wouldn't be able to deal with it. For you 2 in brooklyn- i saw the streets last week with the snow.. hope ya got out okay :)

raquel- did you apply to kean yet? I have my personal statements for kean & richard stockton open on my computer but I just cant write them.

my interviewer at downstate said not to expect to hear back until Feb. b/c they received 200 applicants or something along those lines- did they tell you, gia & jlr, the same thing?

raquel- good luck on your class!! and jlr- feel better :)

The snowstorm forced me to cancel my flight to London! Luckily, I was able to get on a flight the next day. Anyhoo...

Yeah, my interviewer also told me that I will be notified by the end of Feb. The essay is simple. We had to read an article and then write a summary of it. I got all of my grades for the Fall 2010 semester...has anyone sent those in already? I'm anxious since I had a pretty bad semester (though my term GPA was above a 3.0).

Thanks Laurap, I'm feeling much better! :) The interviewer also told me the same thing as well, February to find out decisions. I'm super anxious to know and I wish everyone the best of luck! I sent in my final transcript for my fall 2010 classes so I'm hoping that admissions received that information. I know what you guys are going through with that essay "burn out" feeling. I was a wreck last semester! lol... I just finally finished submitting all my applications...just keeping pushing yourself as much as you have that "I really don't want to/can't do this anymore" feeling and you'll be so happy that you did when you're done!! I'll keep you guys posted if I find out anything!! :)

Does anyone know the specific start date in June for SD?